News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

HAF Kiva group?

Started by Amicale, March 12, 2012, 01:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

I looked around on Kiva, but couldn't find a group for HAF. Does anyone here think we should start one?

Kiva's a great microlending site that supports entrepreneurs/groups in need of a loan in the developing world. I've been with them for more than a few months, and I can see the good it does people who need a leg up getting a business off the ground, or supporting their family. For example, someone might ask for a loan to buy fabric they can make clothing out of, or might ask for one to put towards a bicycle so they can deliver goods in their community, or just get to work. They repay back their loan over time, and once you have money back in your account, you can either withdraw it, or loan it out again. It's a neat system. :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Whitney

Amicale

Yup. :) I'm on that one. I guess I just wondered if there'd be enough interest to specifically set up a HAF team, since I've seen other forums, church groups, radio shows etc set up groups. But it's true enough that when it comes down to it, all of us just joining the atheist team would be cool, too!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Ali

Quote from: Amicale on March 12, 2012, 01:56:38 AM
Kiva's a great microlending site that supports entrepreneurs/groups in need of a loan in the developing world. I've been with them for more than a few months, and I can see the good it does people who need a leg up getting a business off the ground, or supporting their family. For example, someone might ask for a loan to buy fabric they can make clothing out of, or might ask for one to put towards a bicycle so they can deliver goods in their community, or just get to work. They repay back their loan over time, and once you have money back in your account, you can either withdraw it, or loan it out again. It's a neat system. :)

That's a really cool concept.  I'll probably end up joining the atheist team.

DeterminedJuliet

Hm! I've never heard of this. Interesting! I think I'd have to read a little bit more about it first, but I might be interested in joining a group of some kind.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.