News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

"Golden Compass" in the crosshairs

Started by rlrose328, December 03, 2007, 04:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia

It's a bit late now. Our local bookshop has a whole stand devoted to Pullman's works (with the "book of the film" strapline) and they were flying off the shelves.

Certainly the church here never seems to learn... they did a fantastic marketing job for Harry Potter, Jerry Springer - The Opera, ...

VaNonbeliever

My wife has two 9  year old cousins (twin boy and girl) who are like our kids.  They stay with us sometimes, and their parents and maternal grandparents have recently caught the religion bug big-time.  

We were watching TV when the Golden Compass commercial came on.  One of them said, "I hate that."  I asked why and his reply was, "the guy who wrote it is evil."  I asked him why he was evil.  "Because he doesn't believe in God."  I didn't ask them if I was evil, since they don't really know that I'm an atheist.  If they did, their parents would forbid them from seeing us.  

I was just stunned by this brainwashing effort.  None of them have read the books.  They're just spouting the lines put into their mouths by their parents and the Christians.  They are very bright children, and their family is attempting to turn them into little bigots.  They often make remarks about gays, which they get their support for from the bible.  We always jump onto them for that.

Smarmy Of One

I already posted this in a similar thread, but I really enjoyed TGC movie. I have not read the books. In fact I never heard of it until the movie was announced.

Imaginative, and with strong female characters (good and bad). I think it would be great for kids.

Seosamh

Quote from: "Smarmy Of One"I already posted this in a similar thread, but I really enjoyed TGC movie. I have not read the books. In fact I never heard of it until the movie was announced.

Imaginative, and with strong female characters (good and bad). I think it would be great for kids.

The books are fantastic. Really good writing, and very creative.
I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men.

-Robert Ingersoll

my photography gallery: http://ash-nazg4321.deviantart.com/

karadan

The 'His Dark Materials' trilogy was an utterly engrossing, spellbinding set of books. Pullman is a Hero.

I actually thought the film did quite a good job at putting many underlying messages across. It will be interesting how the next two turn out.

The nutters calling for it to be banned sounded pathetic. Especially the nonsense that it depicts sexual relations between two 14 year-olds. They shared a kiss for fucks sake! Pullman described the two protagonist's relationship in such a flawless way because at that point in a persons life, just the simplest kiss can form the most powerful and beautiful emotions. I certainly remember that period of my  life with great fondness.

Just a bunch of weirdoes spreading heresay and grossly incorrect gossip to reinforce their own obnoxious agenda.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

SteveS

Quote from: "karadan"Especially the nonsense that it depicts sexual relations between two 14 year-olds. They shared a kiss for fucks sake! Pullman described the two protagonist's relationship in such a flawless way because at that point in a persons life, just the simplest kiss can form the most powerful and beautiful emotions. I certainly remember that period of my life with great fondness.
Yeah, that was a great time.  Too bad "nothing gold can stay", huh?

Hehe, when I was in 2nd grade I was once got kicked out of class, during a film, for kissing a girl --- she got kicked out with me, and we had to sit at our desks in the empty classroom while the rest got to continue watching the film in the other room.  If they actually thought there was something sexual going on, they probably shouldn't have left us alone together in a room  :D  !  In all fairness, at the time, I wasn't sure if I was more horrified of getting kicked out of the class or that I had actually made lip contact with a girl.  It was one of those stupid kid things:  "I bet you wouldn't!  Sure I would, but I bet you wouldn't!".  Looking back at it, I can't remember her name or what she looked like, but I guess she'll always be cool to me: first girl who ever took a chance with me!  And she was cool - we didn't rat each other out (the rest of the class did that - bastards!) or dislike each other - just took our punishment and went back to life as usual.

Ah, the joys of childhood, when everything was new and exciting and your life changed on a daily basis.....  (still, it is sort of peaceful to be over the drama of it all).

And, I agree that protesting this point (even though I haven't seem the film) makes a person appear to be a "nutter" (Is that Aussie dialect, or UK?)

karadan

Quote from: "SteveS"And, I agree that protesting this point (even though I haven't seem the film) makes a person appear to be a "nutter" (Is that Aussie dialect, or UK?)

Tee hee, it is UK dialect although the Aussies use it too, i'm sure :)

You won't see the kiss in the first or second films, but the third.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.