News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Re: Convos with a Theist...

Started by jcm, April 18, 2008, 04:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcm

Me: I understand the idea that time spans could be different but what about order of events?

Jesusfreak: Huh?

Me: Take the order of events from the bible in genesis. The bible describes how the earth was created before the sun. Well the universe does not work that way. Stars are created then planets. We have scientific proof that the sun is much older than our planet earth.

Jesusfreak: Well how do you really know that, were you there?

Me: Holy crap.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

Jesster85

Sorry I've been gone so long, the new layout looks great. I found this on another site http://www.atheisteye.com/AtheistTract.pdf. I know it's a little of the subject, but I thought it was funny. It's more about avoiding a conversation than having one.
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."-Richard Dawkins

jamesatracy

It always annoys me when one of these conversations reaches this point:

CHRISTIAN: How do you explain love?

Will

Quote from: "jamesatracy"It always annoys me when one of these conversations reaches this point:

CHRISTIAN: How do you explain love?
I've got your back on this one:
ME: Love is a human emotion usually involving a biochemical response. From a psychological standpoint, love is a cognitive response to social interaction. These usually trigger either the release of testosterone, estrogen and pheromones (in sexual love), or amphetamines and dopamine in most cases. There are generally considered to be 5 kinds of love: erotic, platonic, familial, "puppy" (infatuation), or romantic. By the way, did you know that the biochemical condition described as love predates religion by hundreds of millions of years? It can be dates back to the earliest cases of sexual reproduction in early species on Earth. In comparison, Christianity is really only about 1400 years old. Monotheism is only demonstrated through verifiable evidence to be about 2400 years old. Religion (actually mysticism and superstition) itself is only demonstrated through verifiable evidence to be about 150,000 years old at most.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

jamesatracy

Thanks!

I will have to put all of that on a card and keep it in my wallet just in case  lol

jcm

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs