News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

"Golden Compass" in the crosshairs

Started by rlrose328, December 03, 2007, 04:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlrose328

http://courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs. ... 004/living

'Compass' in the crosshairs

Catholic Church shares information on controversial movie with parishioners

The Catholic Church is waging an informational campaign among parishioners against the new children's movie, "The Golden Compass."

Set for release Friday, the PG-13 film stars Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig (the latest actor to play James Bond). The fantasy tale centers on a young girl's quest to rescue children held captive by a mysterious organization.

The movie is based on the award-winning children's novel by Phillip Pullman, an atheist. The book is the first in the trilogy, "His Dark Materials," which has been attacked for its anti-religious themes.

The Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights recently published a 23-page booklet detailing what it calls the film's hidden anti-Christian agenda. The league is urging Catholics to boycott the film and is warning parents against buying the books for their children.

According to the Catholic League, the evil organization in Pullman's books is a metaphor for the church and its "authority," represented as an old man, is God.

Andrew Walton, spokesman for the Camden Diocese, said the church has informed parishioners about the controversy through the diocesan newspaper, The Catholic Star Herald. The diocese isn't calling for a boycott, Walton said, because they tend to generate more interest in a film.

"If Catholic parents' responsibility is to do their best to bring their children up in the faith," Walton added, "my guess is that they'll not want to provide this kind of material for their children."

Clayton resident Janice Rael, a board member of Atheist Alliance International, believes if parents don't make a big deal over the movie's background, their kids won't even know there is any controversy.

Her children, ages 12 and 9, are interested in seeing "The Golden Compass," just as they were in seeing "The Chronicles of Narnia." (The Narnia films are based on books by Christian author C.S. Lewis.)

"If the kids want to see it, it doesn't matter what the original book's intent was," said Rael, 38. "The kids didn't notice anything overtly religious in "Chronicles of Narnia.' They probably won't notice."

Atheist Alliance International is declaring Dec. 9 as "Follow-Your-Own-Compass Day."

"All those who seek to consider all points of view should see the movie and discuss its message, free from censorship and prejudices," the organization stated in a press release.

David Silverman, national spokesman for Cranford-based American Atheists, said Pullman's novel is a fun fantasy that makes "poignant points that are very valid."

He agreed the books have an "anti-religion tone." Hollywood watered down those themes, making the movie more palatable for a wider audience, he said.

"American Atheists would never tell people not to go see a movie that makes them question or rethink their theological beliefs," said Silverman, whose 10-year-old daughter is reading the book. "We want people to think. We want people to get other ideas."

There always will be those who criticize and question the Christian faith, said Walton.

"They do not represent a real threat to Christianity by any means," Walton said. "From our view point, the truth of the faith will always overcome those who attempt to question it."

Reach Kim Mulford at (856) 251-3342 or kmulford@courierpostonline.com
Published: December 01. 2007 3:10AM

I'm baffled how they can be so up in arms about the "hidden anti-Christian" agenda and not even realize their own BLATANT anti-atheist agenda.  Why is their agenda more important and valid than ours?  Hypicrits.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

tacoma_kyle

I read those books back when I was in 6-8th grade or so. I loved them, I'm ganna watch the movie(s).

When I figured out about the movie a little while back I tried find a trailer online and all I would get was about the Catholic Church being all pissed off lol.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Will

I really enjoyed the movie. I hope enough people see it to merit sequels.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

SteveS

Damn - its out already?  I'm either getting old or getting slow, I didn't even realize....

0dan1

2 things about this film... although it does look good.

they changed the 'alethiometer' to 'the golden compass' << this is absurd. It is no way a compass.

Should be called 'His Dark Materials', phillip pullman shouldnt have sold so many rights.

The other thing is that the catholic church made the film makers edit out all the sacrilegious or atheist references. Cant believe it, such a shame!

the bears look pretty awesome though XD

Will

Quote from: "0dan1"they changed the 'alethiometer' to 'the golden compass' << this is absurd. It is no way a compass.
It points you towards the truth. Also, in the movie, it's called the alethiometer.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

McWogg

Don't these dumb people realize that banning the book and advising parents not to ket their kids see this movie is going to guarantee its success? This is the movie/book kids are gonna make a special point of getting their noses in.
AYT

rlrose328

Okay, we saw the movie today... the kid (7yo) lost interest about half an hour into it but luckily, he had his HUGE Palkia (pokemon) to keep him occupied and the wiggles didn't get him until the last 10 minutes.

(SPOILERS BELOW, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK)

While I bought the trilogy a few weeks ago, I deliberately didn't read them before the movie because I wanted the movie to stand on its own after all of the hype and previews.  That said...

It was an excellent movie.  The first half was very... abrupt.  It was edited so the scenes just flew by.  They had a lot to cram in, I know.
The characters were perfectly cast and the girl playing Lyra was fascinating.  I love Daniel Craig... and from many of his comments about the movie, he's either a non-believer or a sympathisizer.  :-)   And I'm not a big Nicole Kidman fan but she was phenomenal in this role.

And Ebert gave it 4 stars... not a common thing for him.  His stance is basically:  For what it is, a fantasy with a very high level of suspension of disbelief, it's excellent.  If it were not marketed as a fantasy, he'd not give it 4 stars and that makes sense.

It did give me the willies quite often for the religious allegory, but I could see that if it weren't a preoccupation for you, it probably wouldn't be a big deal.  But I was reading into it what I felt was there... the Dust being scientific thought or education; the Intercision being an elimination of a child's innocence so they can be brainwashed to believe what they are told.  It's all a shade more sinister than just a basic good vs. evil, IMHO.

I do recommend it though, especially if you like fantasy.  

I wonder if I can turn my cat in my daemon... Hmmm....
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Bella

I saw the movie and I really liked it. I don't think that kids are going to connect it with religion at all... Although *I* had fun doing it. :)

tacoma_kyle

Supposedly if the succeeding movies are made they will edit less out---thats what I read anyhow...The sacreligious stuff that is. Er---sac-bullshit lol?

Steve Reason

I swear, the fucking Catholics would boycott the cure for cancer if they thought it came from an atheist.  :x
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Justice

I really enjoyed the movie, although you could tell they were rushing to fit into a 2 hour running time.

tacoma_kyle

I wish it was a little longer, but enjoyed it.

ryanvc76

I'm going to watch it with my kids this Sunday... takes the Army theater a bit longer to get things, but hey, it's cheaper when they do!
---=---=---=---=---
http://www.vancleave.de
---=---=---=---
"[The Bible] has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies." - Mark Twain

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson

---=---

Big Mac

Quote from: "McWogg"Don't these dumb people realize that banning the book and advising parents not to ket their kids see this movie is going to guarantee its success? This is the movie/book kids are gonna make a special point of getting their noses in.
AYT

Shhh...don't tell them! Their brain might hit a gear and work for once!
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?