News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Moses goes Hollywood...again.

Started by Twentythree, January 26, 2012, 06:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

Quote from: statichaos on February 23, 2012, 07:15:26 PM
Spielberg is Jewish, not Christian. 

I don't mind Biblical films so long as they're interesting.  Prince of Egypt (another Moses film) was an excellent animated work.

Also, to respond to a post upthread:  They have made a film based on the Scopes trial.  It was Inherit The Wind, an adaptation of the stage play of the same name.  The names were changed, but it was essentially the same story.

That's true. However, the film version was in 1960, which was a very different time. For example, people were worried about JFK being too Catholic at that time. I wonder how the response would be if a film like that were released today. I'm guessing the public response would be different.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Will37

Quote from: Twentythree on January 26, 2012, 06:25:01 PM
This is kind of shitty wanted to get the take of the forums on this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/25/steven-spielbergs-moses-m_n_1232827.html?igoogle=1

Based on this article there are apparently several upcoming epic scale Hollywood films set to begin production or to release that are all Biblical Themed. It would be nice to believe that these films will regard and present these stories as works of fiction rather than works of historical relevance but I don't think that will be the case. What do you think of Biblical based films and do you think they have a place in the modern cinematic culture. For an industry that is routinely progressive this almost seems like a grab for cash by pandering to the overwhelming Christian majority in the US. I'm just sitting here shaking my head...what about the epic tales of Copernicus or Darwin overcoming the social pressures of their time to propose theories that revolutionized science. Where are the films based on the epic voyages of the SS beagle? Instead Hollywood will produce and promote a film about fictional events based on a fictional book written thousands of years ago to serve as an instruction manual for savage tribesmen to keep them from killing one another and fucking each other's wives and livestock. Sorry just a little pissed this morning. Living in America is getting tougher every year as Christian fundamentalism burrows into every facet of our lives. From politics to entertainment we as Americans have come to expect a culture that is brimming with Jesus, sin and sanctity....barf.

I'm actually excited about this.  The Old Testament has great movie making potential.  I mean, you're right about the potential for this to be an uninspired bit of propaganda, but given the director in question and the description of the movie I'm actually hopeful.  The Old Testament, particularly the earlier texts, are brimming with contradiction and tension, as different myths and interpretations were crammed together in pursuit of unity.  The literary potential there is immense.  I was just reading Harold Bloom's synopsis of the story of Moses struggling with the tribal god first described, is fascinating and sublime.  I think there is enormous potential here and so long at Speilberg doesn;t cowtow too much to the American Taliban this could be a fantastic movie. 
'Out of a great number of suppositions, shrewd in their own way, one in particular emerged at last (one feels strange even mentioning it): whether Chichikov were not Napoleon in disguise'
Nikolai Gogol--> Dead Souls

'Коба, зачем тебе нужна моя смерть?'
Николай Иванович Бухарин-->Letter to Stalin

'Death is not an event in life: we do not live to exp

Too Few Lions

I just hope the film begins like this...

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Retired member.