News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

After-birth abortion

Started by AnimatedDirt, March 01, 2012, 07:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

I also have serious reservations about how mass-farmed animals live, but I don't believe a word that comes from PETA. Coming from a Province that has been at the brunt of some seriously misguided and mis-informed "animal rights" movements, I had a very strong distaste for them. Don't even get me started on the Sea Sheppard Society.

But I digress...
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

pytheas

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 02, 2012, 09:30:23 PM
From a completely rational perspective, I don't think an "after-birth" abortion makes much sense. ..I think that's more an argument for screening earlier in pregnancy. Besides, a lot of issues, like forms of autism, don't present themselves until the child is much older (over one year, for instance). I kinda get the point that there's not much difference between a newborn and a nearly full-term fetus, but there's a HUGE difference between a fetus and a one-year old. One year olds are definitely "people-ish". As far as I know, there are very few diseases that are "invisible" in-utero, but immediately apparent once a child is born. I just can't imagine a practical scenario where this would be a reasonable choice. They may be doctors, but it seems like a trollish argument to me. 

yet it was practised in ancient sparta, newborns deformed or ailing were cast down a mountain side keadas.
they had no screening option and yes they missed conditions which developed later in life.
An early form of eugenics, long before totalitarian brave new nazi worlds, I have seen it with mutant lab mice that eat their babies much more readily than the respective wild-type mice-for transgenetically diseased mice are clearly not fit and probably smell so to their freaked mums...

I dont know where i stand on the issue. Logically i would not want to support a problem to grow and pain , but i think i would have an issue to throw my newborn kid -if deformed- down the pit. i would be grateful for an optional service that did it on my and society's behalf

As for animal meat, i like it and see no problem in moderate cosumption, yet to address the ethic issue I would insist that meat should be consumed only after the perspective eater has killed and later on growed the animal themselves.

The mass farms exist also because the consumer likes to buy it in clean plastic wrap, do not forget

and hunting appears  as idiotic and destructive as safari when practised with firearms. we do not have the "luxury" really

in a yoga class i was amazed by a woman that advised my not to snap out of meditation and squash the occasional  mosquito, not on the cause of ruining the meditation in a zazen lightning, but because the mosquito has the right to exist and drink our blood.

next yoga class in a malaria-region beach
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: pytheas on March 10, 2012, 10:06:31 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 02, 2012, 09:30:23 PM
From a completely rational perspective, I don't think an "after-birth" abortion makes much sense. ..I think that's more an argument for screening earlier in pregnancy. Besides, a lot of issues, like forms of autism, don't present themselves until the child is much older (over one year, for instance). I kinda get the point that there's not much difference between a newborn and a nearly full-term fetus, but there's a HUGE difference between a fetus and a one-year old. One year olds are definitely "people-ish". As far as I know, there are very few diseases that are "invisible" in-utero, but immediately apparent once a child is born. I just can't imagine a practical scenario where this would be a reasonable choice. They may be doctors, but it seems like a trollish argument to me. 

yet it was practised in ancient sparta, newborns deformed or ailing were cast down a mountain side keadas.
they had no screening option and yes they missed conditions which developed later in life.

Well, yeah. Ancient Greeks obviously didn't have ultra-sounds, so I could almost see why that happened (especially when any deformed baby was probably considered a "curse from the gods" or whatever).

But that's not the situation today. We do have ultrasounds, amniocentesis, and genetic testing. So, if the parents care enough that they'd consider killing a newborn after going through the trouble of giving birth to it, they should have these procedures done. If they do, I would think that it would be very unlikely that they'd miss something that would be immediately apparent after birth.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

It would seem a good idea to kill a fetus that will be born with horrible handicaps. Handicaps are expensive, and a parent becomes a prisoner, because all they do is care of that child. Even after death, that child is a burden to the Gov. and society. I hope this doesn't sound too harsh.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 12, 2012, 04:40:24 AM
It would seem a good idea to kill a fetus that will be born with horrible handicaps. Handicaps are expensive, and a parent becomes a prisoner, because all they do is care of that child. Even after death, that child is a burden to the Gov. and society. I hope this doesn't sound too harsh.
Not in my book. In fact, it's a bit too mild compared to my way of making the exact same point.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on March 12, 2012, 07:25:39 AM
Not in my book. In fact, it's a bit too mild compared to my way of making the exact same point.
Hm? What do you mean?  o_o

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 14, 2012, 03:25:59 AM
Hm? What do you mean?  o_o
That I would (and have) use a more harsh language when it comes to every gorked baby's right to live.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Guardian85

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 06, 2012, 06:19:31 PM
I also have serious reservations about how mass-farmed animals live, but I don't believe a word that comes from PETA. Coming from a Province that has been at the brunt of some seriously misguided and mis-informed "animal rights" movements, I had a very strong distaste for them. Don't even get me started on the Sea Sheppard Society.

But I digress...

Oh, I could say a few things about the Sea Shepard Society, but I would burn out the -bleep!- mashine.
I was approached in the street by one of them. She asked me if I liked whales.
I replied "Yes, they are delicious!" And I meant every word....

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 14, 2012, 11:06:25 AM

But I digress...

Oh, I could say a few things about the Sea Shepard Society, but I would burn out the -bleep!- mashine.
HAHAHA XD

Guardian85

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 14, 2012, 11:45:23 AM
Quote from: Guardian85 on March 14, 2012, 11:06:25 AM

But I digress...

HAHAHA XD

I'm serious. Whale steak with small potatoes and red wine sauce. Delicious!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 14, 2012, 12:28:15 PM
I've heard the same thing said about long pig!

Guardian85

Quote from: Too Few Lions on March 14, 2012, 01:21:29 PM

Had to look that up. Probably true.

-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

How is a dead kid still a burden to the Government and society?

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ali on March 14, 2012, 06:07:06 PM

How is a dead kid still a burden to the Government and society?
I meant after the parents die. I feel bad, but i see the mentally disabled or seriously handicaped have to be cared for by someone.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Too Few Lions on March 14, 2012, 01:21:29 PM

Weird fact:  an Amazonian tribe in a position to know such things claims "long pig" tastes the same as porpoise.  Maybe they've never had chicken.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany