News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Christian Free

Started by Truthseeker, February 24, 2012, 01:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truthseeker

Quote from: Asherah on March 12, 2012, 07:45:32 PMI can totally relate with what you have been through. My husband and I were devout Christians when we married and now I'm not a believer. He was so depressed when I told him about it. He prayed for me. For awhile, I was on a roller coaster and would bounce back and forth between belief and disbelief. So, I'd come back to believing in Christianity and he would be so happy and so would I. Then, I would start analyzing why I had come back and what brought me back. And, then I'd realize that I hadn't made the right choice going back. It's really rough what we've been through. There have been nights were I would go to bed early because I'd be balling my eyes out because of my disbelief. God, I wanted to believe so bad. But, dammit, my mind wouldn't get out of the way.

My kids are 5 and 3 and I don't know when to tell them. My whole family is going to be so upset with me if I don't raise them Christian. I've thought about letting them go to church, and just not saying anything against it until they get older. But, then I'll be in your situation. Your kids probably think you are going to hell. And, I don't want that for my kids. I want to raise them as free thinkers, but everyone around me is Christian, so it's probably pie in the sky.

I'm so glad for you that your wife accepts your position and hasn't divorced you for it. My husband is pretty cool that way too.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, my wife is the bomb.  I just knew this meant she would take the kids and leave me, abiding in 2 Corinthians 6:14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 2 Corinthians 6:14.

But she pointed out 1 Corinthians 7:13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

She claimed if she really had the faith that she says she has in god then god will turn my heart around.  But even if that does not happen she said she was not going anywhere.  She is really a great lady!  I am quite lucky to have her.

And I suppose you are correct that my children see me going to hell.  What choice do they have but to think that.  It is the cinder block of their faith.

My heart goes out to you Asherah.  You have some tough waters to negotiate in your future.  But it sounds like you have a solid family who loves you regardless.  That makes all the difference.         
Suffering is the breaking of the shell that encloses one's understanding.  Khalil Gibran

Firebird

Welcome! I haven't been a believer since I was very young, but I am glad that this forum has been helpful to you in some way. My family is quite secular, as is my wife's for the most part, so it was easier to "come out" as a non-believer. It's been fascinating to hear stories such as yours and Asherah's about how you reached this point in your belief system and I'm glad your wife has been so willing to accept what you believe, as difficult as it may be for her.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: cordactilicix on March 15, 2012, 03:22:36 AM
EDIT: Snipped content to remove links - Tank

Someone call SETI, it's seems we have contact! ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Truthseeker on February 24, 2012, 05:20:56 PM
Jesus, I can tell this damn forum is going to interfere with my work.

Yeaaaaahh, this place has a habit of doing that. Erm, some of us have been know to request self-bans when it gets a bit out of hand.

Also, welcome! There are a few parents around, so feel free to gush on the "parent's pride" thread.  ;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

SweetLaura286

Thank you do much for joining us & keeping an open mind!