News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Christian Free

Started by Truthseeker, February 24, 2012, 01:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

That would be really hard to have a spouse that was still very committed to religion after you changed your mind.  Trying to force your wife to raise your kids without religion could have potentially broken up your family.  I'm lucky that I married a fellow atheist, so that's never been an issue between us, but I can imagine that it is for others, especially if when you married you were both devout and then only one changes.

Atleast through you, your children have the example that someone can be non-religious and still lead an admirable life.  Hopefully that makes them think a little when people say that everyone who doesn't believe X is immoral and is on the fast track to hell. 

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Truthseeker

Suffering is the breaking of the shell that encloses one's understanding.  Khalil Gibran

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on February 24, 2012, 01:43:51 PM
FPAFFSDSR
Also known as a rampaging Asmo in bad temper with a boil on his gray butt.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Reprobate

Welcome,

Yours is a perspective on faith that I cannot entirely understand either, having never been a believer. It will be interesting to try to see things from your point of view through your posts. Your perspective on your child(ren) is definitely something that I can understand and respect. My two children are (legally) adults now, and I still feel the same way. My world would be pretty bleak without them.

Tank,
"I'll be honest, when I read your user name I loaded up an FPAFFSDSR (Faith Piercing Anti Fundy Fin Stabilised Discarding Sabot Round)! Glad to see it won't be necessary!" Does that round have a depleted uranium or tungsten penetrator?

EDIT: removed screwed up quotes.

Willow

Siz

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

Quote from: Reprobate on February 28, 2012, 04:39:45 AM

Quote from: Tank
"I'll be honest, when I read your user name I loaded up an FPAFFSDSR (Faith Piercing Anti Fundy Fin Stabilised Discarding Sabot Round)! Glad to see it won't be necessary!"

Does that round have a depleted uranium or tungsten penetrator?

Neither. Dark Matter.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: Truthseeker on February 27, 2012, 06:39:08 PM
Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on February 27, 2012, 06:36:44 PM
Welcome!!

Thanks man!!  That is quite a user name you have there.
Thank you! It goes back to a drunken argument about the longest word in the English language.  My friends were telling me that supercalifragilisticexpialidocious isn't a real word and that antidisestablishmentarianism is the longest word.  I informed them that I knew supercaliwhatthefrickever wasn't a real word and that they should shut up and pass the damn bottle!
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Truthseeker

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on February 28, 2012, 05:45:10 PM
Quote from: Truthseeker on February 27, 2012, 06:39:08 PM
Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on February 27, 2012, 06:36:44 PM
Welcome!!

Thanks man!!  That is quite a user name you have there.
...shut up and pass the damn bottle!

I find that that is a great response to just about any argument.   ;D
Suffering is the breaking of the shell that encloses one's understanding.  Khalil Gibran

dustygirl122

I grew up Christian too. My family is very engrossed in it. I am surprised your children are not more curious. Perhaps just slide in a few quotes here and there. They will most likely ask you about it one day. Reading the Bible is what made me realize it wasn't true, lol. I'm glad you are here and I hope to get to know you better!

Truthseeker

Quote from: dustygirl122 on March 04, 2012, 01:36:48 AM
I grew up Christian too. My family is very engrossed in it. I am surprised your children are not more curious. Perhaps just slide in a few quotes here and there. They will most likely ask you about it one day. Reading the Bible is what made me realize it wasn't true, lol. I'm glad you are here and I hope to get to know you better!

Thanks Dusty.  I know when I had doubts I had no one to turn to and admit it.  At least my children will know they can ask me without any reproachful response.  Man, why do people bite off on this belief.  I am sorry.  I know I am going a little crazy with how incredulous I have become.  But this damn belief has got to be the dumbest idea to hitch one's trailer to.  Guess I need some therapy.  I actually feel HAF has been a sort of therapy really.  So thankful for everyone's patience here. 

dustygirl122

No, I know how you feel. My mother clings to her beliefs (even though she believes in evolution yet somehow a 6,000 year old earth too), simply because she states that God has helped us out a lot.. Umm... from the abusive father/husband to homeless shelters to eating instant mashed potatoes made with water for dinner.. I want to know where he has helped us??
Yeah, it actually aggravates me too sometimes. I am glad this forum has helped so much for you!

Asherah

Quote from: Truthseeker on February 24, 2012, 08:13:13 PM

Well, long story, but I am afraid I really screwed up here.  When I got married my wife and I were both devout Christians.  Subsequently, I went through the thought process mentioined above and my wife maintained her faith in space Jesus.  At the time I commenced with my closeted agnostic life and allowed my children to carry on in church and so forth.  It was not unitil my children were roughly twelve that I came clean with my wife.  By this time my children were already sincerely involved with friends and all the trapings of Christianity.  So I just let it go (still wonder if that was the right thing to do)  :(.  I mean my wife would have been deeply hurt if I demanded otherwise.  At any rate, just as of a few months ago, I let my children (now ages 18 and 16) in on my new views.  My daughter actually started crying abouit it.  It did not affect our relatioinship in the least and they have accepted my backslidden devil ways.  But they have been indoctrinated, no question about it.  I did make it clear to them, however, that they do not ever need to feel that the HAVE to follow that faith or teaching.  I am just hoping the day will come when they approach me with concerns and questions.  I will be here with arms open.

I can totally relate with what you have been through. My husband and I were devout Christians when we married and now I'm not a believer. He was so depressed when I told him about it. He prayed for me. For awhile, I was on a roller coaster and would bounce back and forth between belief and disbelief. So, I'd come back to believing in Christianity and he would be so happy and so would I. Then, I would start analyzing why I had come back and what brought me back. And, then I'd realize that I hadn't made the right choice going back. It's really rough what we've been through. There have been nights were I would go to bed early because I'd be balling my eyes out because of my disbelief. God, I wanted to believe so bad. But, dammit, my mind wouldn't get out of the way.

My kids are 5 and 3 and I don't know when to tell them. My whole family is going to be so upset with me if I don't raise them Christian. I've thought about letting them go to church, and just not saying anything against it until they get older. But, then I'll be in your situation. Your kids probably think you are going to hell. And, I don't want that for my kids. I want to raise them as free thinkers, but everyone around me is Christian, so it's probably pie in the sky.

I'm so glad for you that your wife accepts your position and hasn't divorced you for it. My husband is pretty cool that way too.

Welcome to the forum!
As a scientist, I am hostile to fundamentalist religion because it actively debauches the scientific enterprise. It teaches us not to change our minds, and not to want to know exciting things that are available to be known. It subverts science and saps the intellect. - Dawkins