News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Religion as guidance

Started by saturnine, December 01, 2007, 02:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtyd12

Quote from: "Ashe"Basically what has already been pointed out by others and what you have said - people take comfort in having something "higher" to guide them and make them feel better. Something bad happens? Not their fault and, anyway, there's a bigger (better) plan for them. Bad things happen "for a reason." Having a higher being watch you at all times and notice all the good things you do makes you feel ever better about doing those good things.

I don't blame people for feeling that way. I guess if I had it in me to believe in God, I'd feel that way too.

I don't, though. My driving force? I don't know. Just...living, I guess. The possibilities of life. I feel better knowing I'm responsible for my success and I've got myself to blame for my failures. It makes me feel involved in life or one with reality...or whatever.

But in the end we die, whether we want to or not. I have trouble driving myself with just living because life inevitably drives me towards death. What I need, what so many people need, is a reason to die--something to die for. I desperately need something to die for I have to admit that. If it's not God or Country, then what? I guess I have to search, but I happen to think the answer lies in the truth, and that I can't find the truth while believing in lies.

Ashe

Quote from: "dirtyd12"But in the end we die, whether we want to or not. I have trouble driving myself with just living because life inevitably drives me towards death. What I need, what so many people need, is a reason to die--something to die for. I desperately need something to die for I have to admit that. If it's not God or Country, then what? I guess I have to search, but I happen to think the answer lies in the truth, and that I can't find the truth while believing in lies.

Yes, we all die. I suppose that's up to each individual person on how to deal with that knowledge. To me - death, so what? It happens to everyone and it'll happen regardless. I never had the trouble with "For what?" or "What next?" because it's unavoidable either way.

I don't need a god or religion to make me feel better one way or another.