News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

HAF Virtual Meetup

Started by Whitney, February 18, 2012, 06:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on July 23, 2012, 11:53:24 PM
Quote from: En_Route on July 23, 2012, 11:17:06 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 23, 2012, 11:02:57 PM
Quote from: Ali on July 23, 2012, 11:00:13 PM
I think I have that underwear.
You really, really shouldn't say things like that Ali. It causes inappropriate thoughts!!

More a case of disappointment that she wears any.

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Siz

Quote from: Guardian85 on July 24, 2012, 03:35:43 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on July 24, 2012, 01:38:20 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 23, 2012, 11:53:24 PM
Quote from: En_Route on July 23, 2012, 11:17:06 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 23, 2012, 11:02:57 PM
Quote from: Ali on July 23, 2012, 11:00:13 PM
I think I have that underwear.
You really, really shouldn't say things like that Ali. It causes inappropriate thoughts!!

More a case of disappointment that she wears any.

If you 'Control -' (make your screen smaller) you will see something amazing...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Ali

That is amazing.

Note to self: never reference my underwear (or lack there of) ever ever ever again.

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on July 24, 2012, 05:40:58 PM
That is amazing.

Note to self: never reference my underwear (or lack there of) ever ever ever again.

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Tank

That is amazing.

Good girl  ;)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

That is amazing.

I could stand to hear a little more...

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Dobermonster

Quote from: En_Route on July 24, 2012, 05:50:25 PM
That is amazing.

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.
Underwear is over-rated.

En_Route

There has been ample discussion here of ladies' underwear; I think it's time it should be dropped.
* skilfully avoids barrage of rotten tomatoes*

Asmodean

Right. Now, let us discuss guys' undies. Me, I like checkerboard boxers. They match my checkerboard shoes and my checkerboard pulse warmer
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

En_Route

Quote from: Tank on February 19, 2012, 09:53:25 AM
Quote from: Dobermonster on February 19, 2012, 03:01:49 AM
Hmm...sounds interesting....dare I risk being thoroughly disappointing?  :P
Don't worry you couldn't possibly be as much of a disappointment as me.  :D

But seriously I have been to many atheist meetings with people I have met on-line and some people just don't match up with your expectations. Some people can be very erudite and sparkly on-line but in real life quite dull ( and visa versa). Mainly because they are good with the written word where they have time to gather their thoughts but aren't as spontaneous in a real-time context. It's almost like you're meeting a different person.

The other big issue can be perceiving somebody as flirty on-line who really isn't in real life. They're happy to flirt in the relative safety and anonymity of cyber space, where body language is invisible, but in real life they just aren't that way inclined. This dichotomy can lead to serious repercussions where there is a serious miss-match of expectations.  

I used to consider myself a good judge of character. It turns out I am, in real life, but on-line I have made some real fuck-ups, trusting untrustworthy people and being far too open emotionally to needy people. In the past I used to think I had a lot of good friends on-line when in fact it was only a handful. And some of those 'friends' have turned out to be the most despicable people I have ever come across. But we live and learn.

Never invest more emotion in an on-line relationship than you are prepared to have thrown back in your face with derisive laughter added for good measure.

All true. It's not called the web for nothing.

Tank

Quote from: En_Route on July 25, 2012, 08:15:54 PM

But seriously I have been to many atheist meetings with people I have met on-line and some people just don't match up with your expectations. Some people can be very erudite and sparkly on-line but in real life quite dull ( and visa versa). Mainly because they are good with the written word where they have time to gather their thoughts but aren't as spontaneous in a real-time context. It's almost like you're meeting a different person.

The other big issue can be perceiving somebody as flirty on-line who really isn't in real life. They're happy to flirt in the relative safety and anonymity of cyber space, where body language is invisible, but in real life they just aren't that way inclined. This dichotomy can lead to serious repercussions where there is a serious miss-match of expectations.  

I used to consider myself a good judge of character. It turns out I am, in real life, but on-line I have made some real fuck-ups, trusting untrustworthy people and being far too open emotionally to needy people. In the past I used to think I had a lot of good friends on-line when in fact it was only a handful. And some of those 'friends' have turned out to be the most despicable people I have ever come across. But we live and learn.

Never invest more emotion in an on-line relationship than you are prepared to have thrown back in your face with derisive laughter added for good measure.

Sounds like there is a little personal experience behind that comment.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

En_Route

Quote from: Tank on July 25, 2012, 08:23:14 PM
Quote from: En_Route on July 25, 2012, 08:15:54 PM

Sounds like there is a little personal experience behind that comment.

Both personal and third-hand. One person I encountered ,who seemed perfectly affable and unthreatening at first sight, turned out to be quite cuckoo. At least here nobody bothers to conceal their otherness, self of course (with judicious self- deprecation) included.

NoHandlebarsAttached

So it's been a minute, and I'm off school until January, so I'd be able to attend one soon.

Tank

Good. Who's up for this Sunday?