News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

A collection of skeptical podcasts, audio journals, radio shows, etc.

Started by Amicale, February 17, 2012, 07:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

I looked through the media section and didn't find anything (at least recent) having to do with this, so I thought I'd share my favourites, and ask you to add any of yours! Please add a brief description, and any links if needed. :)

- A Christian and an Atheist (podcast) I won't link to them as their site is another web forum, but the podcast is good, as the hosts often debate Christianity and atheism, and there are often different guests on the show.

- Ask An Atheist (podcast/radio show) Based in the Puget Sound Washington area, this is a discussion show with the goal of basically demonstrating that atheists can be happy, ethical people. Tons of different guest hosts, and a wide variety of topics.

- Living After Faith (podcast) http://livingafterfaith.blogspot.com/ Rich Lyons was a pastor before he deconverted, and the podcast as well as blog is about his experiences learning to deal with his lack of faith and newfound atheism, and how it's changed his life. Some really interesting topics, and the show is great for those who were religious -- it makes you feel a little less alone.

- Skepticality: Science and Revolutionary Ideas (podcast) Derek & Swoopy discuss science, skeptical thinking/critical thought, religion, and a host of other issues. It's entertaining as well as informative.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Davin

I'll check those out, here are a few that I listen to:

The Naked Scientists: Discusses many scientific misconceptions, oriented towards science with hardly anything to do with religion.

Godless Bitches: Girls talking about religion and other things.

The Non Prophets: They also talk about religion and other things, but is almost always male hosts.

The Skeptics Guide to the Universe: Also discusses science and many scientific misconceptions.

Also note, I'm not good a generalizing.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Guardian85

The Atheist Experience - a public access television show that regularly posts it's episodes on youTube. The hosts are usually very civil, and experts at handling crazy theist callers. Which is good since they broadcast from Austin, Texas. ::)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crocoduck

Quote from: Amicale on February 17, 2012, 07:52:33 PM
- A Christian and an Atheist (podcast) I won't link to them as their site is another web forum, but the podcast is good, as the hosts often debate Christianity and atheism, and there are often different guests on the show.
Ha! I'm listening to them right now. I do have two problems with the show.
1. Scott and the other Christians on the show tend to be so liberal I don't think they represent any Christians I've ever talked to.
2. Stryper sucks! Always has, always will!
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Amicale

Quote from: Crocoduck on February 17, 2012, 09:26:37 PM
1. Scott and the other Christians on the show tend to be so liberal I don't think they represent any Christians I've ever talked to.

I have no comment on Stryper as I never listened to them, and I definitely agree on #1. I rarely hear a fundie Christian on there who talks like the Christians I've heard from my entire life. They're so liberal that they've almost cherrypicked the religion down to what they're comfy with, and they've run off with it in a totally different direction that isn't Christianity as I've generally known it. That being said, Emory Wang generally has some pretty good ideas, and I like the way he's so logical, while also managing to be polite and funny.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Ali

Quote from: Tank on February 17, 2012, 09:15:38 PM
Quote from: Ali on February 17, 2012, 09:13:34 PM
Ooooh I love The Atheist Experience too!
Don't you live and breath the 'Atheist Experience'?  ;)

Haha, that's my nickname in certain circles.  Ali, The Atheist Experience.

Crocoduck

Quote from: Amicale on February 17, 2012, 09:30:02 PM

I have no comment on Stryper as I never listened to them, and I definitely agree on #1. I rarely hear a fundie Christian on there who talks like the Christians I've heard from my entire life. They're so liberal that they've almost cherrypicked the religion down to what they're comfy with, and they've run off with it in a totally different direction that isn't Christianity as I've generally known it. That being said, Emory Wang generally has some pretty good ideas, and I like the way he's so logical, while also managing to be polite and funny.
I agree completely, I listen because I enjoy Emory.

I grew up in So Cal and before Stryper got a record contract they played a lot of the local churches and small clubs in my area. My Sister had a huge crush on Robbie the drummer and there was no way my Mom would let her go without me to look after her.
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Sandra Craft

And yet I find those types always believe they're the mainstream of Xtianity.  They may not be fundamentalist loons, but they're far from mainstream.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Guardian85

Just got done listening to The Thinking Atheist's podcast on faith healing, featuring the amazing James Randi. Decent show.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Amicale

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 18, 2012, 12:44:28 AM
Just got done listening to The Thinking Atheist's podcast on faith healing, featuring the amazing James Randi. Decent show.

Neat! I'll have to check out that podcast. Ask an Atheist recently interviewed James Randi on their podcast regarding homeopathy. It was a good show.

Crocoduck

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 18, 2012, 12:44:28 AM
I love James....even when I was a Christian I loved to hear him talk. I was a skeptic long before I became an atheist. In fact I kind of think of my atheism as just a more refined skepticism. James will always be a bit of a hero to me.
Dobermonster
Some dude in a Tank