News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Go Awwwww you lose!

Started by Tank, February 16, 2012, 02:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Tank on June 15, 2017, 07:54:24 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on June 15, 2017, 07:52:03 PM

Yeah, I remember the methods used by the Russian fur industry to "domesticate" the foxes they bred in an OU programme (back when such were available on TV).

Pretty extreme "Pavlovian" methods were used to "break" the foxes and make them totally dependent on their handlers, physically and emotionally - a kind of brainwashing/conditioning. Selective breeding them produced more amenable stock that you did not have to kill before you could handle it.
As far as I recall the breeders simply took the cubs that were the friendliest in each generation and simply bred from them.

In my memory, which might well be faulty, the video showed considerable harsh treatment, caging, beating etc. There might well be two strings to this story, the "industrial" and the "fashionable", even if the latter possibly grew out of the former. Better to give the fox a home than weair it I suppose!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Claireliontamer

How fascinating!  I had no idea about this experiment.  http://155.97.32.9/~bbenham/2510%20Spring%2009/Behavior%20Genetics/Farm-Fox%20Experiment.pdf is a detailed account of the experiment which I'm saving here to read later.

Tank

It is fascinating. In particular the domestication traits followed the embryo. They cross transplanted domesticated embryos into un-domesticated mothers  and all the domesticated traits appeared in the offspring.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Claireliontamer

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Arturo on June 27, 2017, 01:41:03 PM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 27, 2017, 11:13:46 AM

Are these yours? I've always wanted a hedgehog.

Sadly not. These are orphaned hoglets at a hedgehogs sanctuary in the UK.

xSilverPhinx

I would say that those hedgehogs look cuddly but on second thought...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Claireliontamer

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Claireliontamer on July 09, 2017, 12:17:34 PM

What an odd-looking creature. :lol: Cute no doubt, but odd all the same.

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx