News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

One Nation Under God

Started by Xiilent, February 15, 2012, 07:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Just another lame little idea from my brain sauces. It seems very contradictory to say "one nation" as if making an inclusive statement, then to say "under god" to exclude many people.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Guardian85

How about this:
"One nation under Canada, above Mexico."  ;D

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 16, 2012, 05:41:44 PM
How about this:

Haha, that I like.

Amicale

How about this:

I like it! :)

"One nation, Canada's pants, above Mexico, America's shoes". (thank you Nobody's Listening podcast)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Amicale on February 16, 2012, 06:39:10 PM
How about this:

I like it! :)

"One nation, Canada's pants, above Mexico, America's shoes". (thank you Nobody's Listening podcast)
Perfect :D
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

statichaos

Even from a religious perspective, the addition of "Under God" to the Pledge is iffy.  It's one thing to ask God to favor your nation, or to watch over it (though I personally find asking for favoritism to be kind of tacky).  It's another thing to assume that God is doing so.

m.condon

Though I no longer have to say the pledge of allegiance every day it is still my National pledge and is supposed to represent my country and my patriotism. I think the intention of including that phrase extends beyond the mere the words. It is meant to establish our nation and our government as a religious country. Though people will say that it does give preferential treatment to one god over the other the fact that it is included is over stepping the boundaries between Church and State. An establishment outside of a church and temple cannot be religious. The National Atheist Party is for the removal of the phrase as well
Usanap.org
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMzqSDWbLfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stevil

Quote from: Whitney on February 15, 2012, 08:18:02 PM
Of course it should be taken out..it violates the wall of separation; especially when it's recited daily in schools.

Do kids really have to recite the pledge allegiance thing everyday at school?
This seems very much a propaganda thing on the kids, are you guys for it, against it or don't care?

Ihateyoumike

I, for one, would be appeased if the pledge were changed to say "One Nation under Jude Law" because... Well, there is no because... Just because.

Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Tank

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on March 08, 2012, 08:02:46 AM
I, for one, would be appeased if the pledge were changed to say "One Nation under Jude Law Angelina Jolie" because... Well, there is no because... Just because.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on March 08, 2012, 08:02:46 AM
I, for one, would be appeased if the pledge were changed to say "One Nation under Jude Law" because... Well, there is no because... Just because.

I prefer Jude Law any day <3
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.