News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Becoming that which you dislike

Started by Whitney, February 15, 2012, 03:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

statichaos

From an outsider's perspective, I've generally found most atheists to tend to be more tolerant, open, and friendly, if only because they don't have carte blanche from God to be assholes.  There are the rather nasty minority who express nothing but scorn and contempt not only for all religion (understandable if unfortunate), but for all believers (which I obviously have a difficult time dealing with).  I'm especially disturbed when I find elements of cultural bigotry underlying some of the comments that I've heard and read.  However, these people are not representative of atheists as a whole (who is?), so it's just a matter of calling them out when you see them.

Reprobate

Quote from: Whitney on February 15, 2012, 03:17:23 AM
After seeing quite a few comments I'd consider inappropriate coming from the admins of a popular humanist fb page...it got me thinking.  As labels such as "humanist" and "secular" become something people are less afraid to wear; what keeps it from becoming just as bad as some of the religions those same people claim to dislike?  Comments in question are things like stereotyping a whole class of people then acting like it's okay to do that.  Why are some people feeling the need to promote unrelated ideas under the banner of secularism and humanism when they should just let it be what it really is?

I find it a bit frustrating...especially since I try to help promote an understanding of atheist/humanist/secular that is pure rather than mixing politics and humor into it that I know not all other people who fall under that label would necessarily support just by their being an atheist/humanist/secular.

edit:  the post on the fb page that sparked me making this comment was taken down (along with 50+ comments) ...same happened with other questionable posts from the same page (there have been more that I didn't approve of that I later saw gone...but can't remember what they were specifically off hand) http://www.facebook.com/GSHMP The post had a picture of an obviously Muslim couple both holding guns and the caption was something like "valentines around the world"  I have removed the page from my "likes"

Atheism is just not believing in god(s). Other than that, we atheist are not guaranteed to have anything at all in common. Joseph Stalin and Mao Tse-Tung were atheists. They are not what I would consider to be open-minded and tolerant people.

Whitney

Quote from: Reprobate on February 20, 2012, 11:24:53 PM
Atheism is just not believing in god(s). Other than that, we atheist are not guaranteed to have anything at all in common.

Yes, which is part of my complaint...or perhaps it's just a pet peeve....the promoting of atheist/secular/humanist (each which are defined differently) in a way that goes beyond what those labels are intended to mean.  Basically, I wish people would start anti-theist groups (or something similar) when their main focus is obviously going against religions.

Crow

Quote from: Whitney on February 21, 2012, 01:23:58 AM
Yes, which is part of my complaint...or perhaps it's just a pet peeve....the promoting of atheist/secular/humanist (each which are defined differently) in a way that goes beyond what those labels are intended to mean.  Basically, I wish people would start anti-theist groups (or something similar) when their main focus is obviously going against religions.

I absolutely agree with you on that.
Retired member.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Whitney on February 21, 2012, 01:23:58 AM
Quote from: Reprobate on February 20, 2012, 11:24:53 PM
Atheism is just not believing in god(s). Other than that, we atheist are not guaranteed to have anything at all in common.

I definitely see why you are frustrated. It'd be nice if everyone who wanted to be the next poster-child for atheism had a sense of tact.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Stevil

Controversy is good.

Atheism, secularism, humanism need people discussing and thinking through what they mean.
It does us no good to lurk in the shadows, we need to stand up and be noticed. From what I hear, it seems Americans in particular have an extremely warped understanding of what Atheism is. I mean how can Atheists be one of the most hated groups in the country? What is it that Americans are afraid of?

I think it is the unknown that creates this fear.

Even if some bad publicity comes out, at least it gets people talking, discussing and thinking about the topic. It doesn't take long to realise that Atheism does not incite violence or oppression. It is actually a very passive stance in that we don't organise ourselves against anyone.

Sweetdeath

I suppose I can be a bit angry.
It's mainly because hearing people pray outloud or put faith into an imaginary being is anoyinning. Also,,religion seriously opresses women, and is violent towards homosexuals.
So yeah, that kinda grinds my gears .  I try to be nice, but when they start spewing feces from their mouth, it's hard to be sweet.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

statichaos

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 21, 2012, 05:22:34 PM
I suppose I can be a bit angry.
It's mainly because hearing people pray outloud or put faith into an imaginary being is anoyinning. Also,,religion seriously opresses women, and is violent towards homosexuals.
So yeah, that kinda grinds my gears .  I try to be nice, but when they start spewing feces from their mouth, it's hard to be sweet.

I'm afraid that I have to take issue with that.  There are religions that do this, yes.  However, religion in general does not.  My former church actually sponsored a march in favor of the repeal of California's Proposition 8, and we were joined by several other faith groups from the area, including the United Church of Christ, the Methodists, several Episcopalians, and the Metropolitan Community Church.  I have no issue with you not believing in a God, or not belonging to a religion.  However, to state that religion as a whole oppresses women or is violent towards gays is not true.  Better to say that specific religions and followers of these religions do so.