News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Just a Question

Started by Egor, February 13, 2012, 08:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: Egor on February 17, 2012, 08:03:45 AMYou and your ilk do all the insulting and trolling[...]
lol, behold: the lack of self-awareness!
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 17, 2012, 05:54:57 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 17, 2012, 08:07:44 AM
Quote from: Egor on February 17, 2012, 08:03:45 AM
I'm sorry, Tank, when exactly did I state that aim?

Your MO is well know on atheist forums. Don't play the bleeding heart card Edward, it doesn't suit you.

It's also all over Ed's blog, which I believe he invited us to read so I don't get the innocent act now.

But how else is he going to get us to keep going back to his blog? He's got to get those hits  up there! (he was bragging about how popular it was, after all)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Ali on February 13, 2012, 10:40:20 PM
  Hence, the fact that the laws exist imply that the world is orderly, and not chaotic.  But I don't know if that is actually what you were getting at or asking.

And this would seem to indicate that "chaos" is only apparent, and that underlying all such chaos there would be some sort of principle of order that would eventually manifest itself.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Whitney on February 14, 2012, 01:43:56 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 14, 2012, 08:28:10 AM
Here comes the 'fine tuning' argument.

Yup...been expecting it since the OP. (Or perhaps the first cause argument)

Considering that some of us said it's all ordered and some of us went with chaos I guess we suck at setting the groundwork for the argument....

I'm not sure it has to lead to either of those arguments. But an underlying order behind the cosmos could hint at some form of intelligence. Intelligence, logic and rationality are orderly, and so is the cosmos. So, the argument could go, the existence of underlying order in the cosmos is consistent with underlying intelligence.  It's not conclusive, but is at least suggestive.

Crow

Why are people even responding to this guy anymore its quite obvious he enjoys making discussions go around in meaningless circles for his own amusement that help him provide content for his blog and bump up his traffic. I have yet to see a reply from Egor that actually brings anything interesting to his original topic that shows he understands the premise behind any science or an understanding of chaos theory and that he is willing to learn and debate with understanding rather than just get into pointless discussions that are intended to infuriate people whilst he gets a throbbing erection from reading them.
Retired member.

Guardian85

Quote from: Crow on February 17, 2012, 06:34:41 PM
Why are people even responding to this guy anymore its quite obvious he enjoys making discussions go around in meaningless circles for his own amusement that help him provide content for his blog and bump up his traffic. I have yet to see a reply from Egor that actually brings anything interesting to his original topic that shows he understands the premise behind any science or an understanding of chaos theory and that he is willing to learn and debate with understanding rather than just get into pointless discussions that are intended to infuriate people whilst he gets a throbbing erection from reading them.

Because his sillyness is funny?

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Crow

Retired member.

Guardian85

Or maybe it's like looking at a racecar spinning out.
You know it is bound for a spectacular crash, but you just can't look away.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Crow on February 17, 2012, 06:40:27 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on February 17, 2012, 06:36:17 PM
Because his sillyness is funny?

Must be.

It's also for the benefit of any lurkers who may be seriously following the discussion.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

I wonder why someone who doesn't want a debate is actively seeking it..?  ???
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on February 17, 2012, 08:08:46 PM
Because he's a preacher. He's not interested in debate, why should he be, he knows he's right.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

Quote from: Asmodean on February 17, 2012, 08:08:46 PM

Because he wants to be a badass warrior for Christ, but is too chicken to actually fight?

-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 17, 2012, 08:29:18 PM
Because he wants to be a badass warrior for Christ, but is too chicken to actually fight?
...And the hippie-jerk Christ needs badass warriors because..? Doesn't he have like this awesome bloodthirsty dad with unlimited powers and a very short temper?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Whitney

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 17, 2012, 06:32:48 PM
Quote from: Whitney on February 14, 2012, 01:43:56 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 14, 2012, 08:28:10 AM
Here comes the 'fine tuning' argument.

Yup...been expecting it since the OP. (Or perhaps the first cause argument)

Considering that some of us said it's all ordered and some of us went with chaos I guess we suck at setting the groundwork for the argument....

I'm not sure it has to lead to either of those arguments. But an underlying order behind the cosmos could hint at some form of intelligence. Intelligence, logic and rationality are orderly, and so is the cosmos. So, the argument could go, the existence of underlying order in the cosmos is consistent with underlying intelligence.  It's not conclusive, but is at least suggestive.

I agree that it leaves open the possibility on intelligent involvement.  Really, order or chaos that possibility is still there even if we can naturally explain everything back to the point where everything started.  Probability, however, is what I find questionable.

The Magic Pudding

I think Egor has this going on in a big way.

Quote he would bring his bible to science class and debate his teachers on the finer points of evolution.

"In my head, I won every time," says Mr Griffith, now 29.