News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Just a Question

Started by Egor, February 13, 2012, 08:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Egor on February 15, 2012, 06:02:22 PM
QuoteThe question I am dying to ask is how many 'Veridicans' are there in the world? I get the feeling the answer is probably 'one'...
Well, let me ask you this, how many Christians and Muslims are there in the world?

Now, the question I'm dying to ask is this: Do you think they're right?
In the UK, we call that a politician's answer! I'll take it that the answer probably is in the singular

Whitney

Quote from: Egor on February 15, 2012, 06:19:49 PM
If parts go missing to allow gravitational effects to unbalance, then those missing parts have to be explained.

Nothing went missing...you are just taking the illustration of the explanation too literally.   

I hope you aren't actually imagining everything was no a grid either....

Crow

Egor you are fucking mental.

-I know that breaks the civility rules but it just has to be said.
Retired member.

history_geek

Folks, I think we have found another follower of the "Win by default"-doctrine. Because as soon as you disagree with him or try to argue with his "absolutely true holy visage of truth", you lose.

Oh well. I just wonder if he got that from shockofgod's book or did he he come up with it all on his own....
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Davin

Quote from: Egor on February 15, 2012, 06:19:49 PM
Quote from: Davin on February 15, 2012, 03:24:29 PM

So which is it, Egor? Is it impossible to have such knowledge, or do you drop your knowledge claim that the expanding early universe wouldn't have imperfection?
[Bunch of unrelated stuff that had nothing to do with what I said.]
You claimed that it is impossible to have knowledge of the beginning of the universe and also made a claim of knowledge about the beginning of the universe. Until you can show that your reasoning is not contradictory, I don't see how it would be possible to have a rational discussion. So please resolve your contradictory statements before we try to move onto to other things.

So which is it, Egor? Is it impossible to have such knowledge, or do you drop your knowledge claim that the expanding early universe wouldn't have imperfection?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Guardian85

This discussion is pointless due to two points:

Primus: Our friend Egor's inability to realize that the metaphore of the ball bearings was a metaphore, not a reenactment and his blanket dismissal of all other arguments.

Secundum: Egors prozeletizing of his DIY christian sect.

Egor, if you have special knowledge of the physics of the Big Bang that contradicts modern physics in everything from quantum mechanics, to cosmology, to ballistics please present your evidence. No more blanket statements.
If you are able to convince even one of us, I will nominate you for a Nobel Prize in physics.

And congratulation on your DIY religion. What title have you taken for yourself? I mean, can't be a religious (cult) leader without a swanky title.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Dobermonster

Not going to waste time here, other than to suggest Egor read "The Elegant Universe". I think it might blow his mind. Which is satisfying in so many ways . . .

Whitney

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 15, 2012, 07:41:40 PM
This discussion is pointless

I think we all knew it would be pointless from the first post and we're basically just responding for any passer by who is honestly wanting to know.  ;)

Guardian85

Quote from: Whitney on February 15, 2012, 08:33:35 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on February 15, 2012, 07:41:40 PM
This discussion is pointless

I think we all knew it would be pointless from the first post and we're basically just responding for any passer by who is honestly wanting to know.  ;)

Yeah. I only pointed it out for the record. 8)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

Does any one else thinks it's funny that Egor describes his religion as "The doctrine of those who follow that which is true?"  Forgetting for a moment the debatable "truth" behind religion, it just such an...I don't know....vague and weird way to describe it.  Doesn't every religion believe that it is "the doctrine of those who follow that which is true?" 

Reprobate

Quote from: Ali on February 15, 2012, 09:02:35 PM
Does any one else thinks it's funny that Egor describes his religion as "The doctrine of those who follow that which is true?"  Forgetting for a moment the debatable "truth" behind religion, it just such an...I don't know....vague and weird way to describe it.  Doesn't every religion believe that it is "the doctrine of those who follow that which is true?" 

I find it to pathetic to be funny, but I'll grant you that there is some irony.

What I'd really like though is a better explanation of whay Egor means by a singularity expanding into nothingness. Where does that come from?

Tank

Buddhism may not fall into the general 'I know it all' group, but I can't think of any others that don't.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dobermonster

Uh, yeah . . .

I'm always confused by people who try to justify religion through science. The point almost always comes back to either "You can't disprove it, so it's true" or "You don't know every detail about how the universe came about, so your point-of-view is silly. Magic is the answer." Which are obvious logical fallacies; the more we come to know about the origins of the universe and how it works, the more religious beliefs are convoluted and struggle to live within the margins of science. Honestly, if you decide to believe something on faith, just say so.

Reprobate: Egor is referring to The Big Bang, and the expansion of the universe. Everything flying apart very quickly, away from everything else, to create a lot more 'nothingness'.

Reprobate

Quote from: Dobermonster on February 15, 2012, 09:18:28 PM

Uh, yeah . . .

I'm always confused by people who try to justify religion through science. The point almost always comes back to either "You can't disprove it, so it's true" or "You don't know every detail about how the universe came about, so your point-of-view is silly. Magic is the answer." Which are obvious logical fallacies; the more we come to know about the origins of the universe and how it works, the more religious beliefs are convoluted and struggle to live within the margins of science. Honestly, if you decide to believe something on faith, just say so.

Reprobate: Egor is referring to The Big Bang, and the expansion of the universe. Everything flying apart very quickly, away from everything else, to create a lot more 'nothingness'.

I like to point out to those people that you cannot prove that sasquatches don't exist either, and there's a lot more evidence favoring their existence than there is for god.

Tank

Please note that Egor (aka Edward the Theist) has a stated aim to Troll atheist forums and provoke atheists into abusing him, which he considers a victory, as we don't play those sort of manipulation games here Egor has not achieved his aim of being banned. It should also be considered that responding to Egor's posts is more about demonstrating how flawed his arguments are than 'winning' any debate. As Egor considers himself not only the rule maker but the referee as well he can never lose in his own mind. But other people read this forum as lurkers so if you are going to debate him do not be distracted by his deliberately patronising and abrasive attitude or mind numbing fuckwittery.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.