News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What would you want said of you after you're dead?

Started by Sandra Craft, February 12, 2012, 06:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Dobermonster's thread about Comfort for the Dying Atheist has me thinking about a somewhat lighter side of dying.  In a way, we do live after death in the memories of others and my ego is big enough to hope that some people who see me dead will have a few good things to say about me.  So I was wondering, if you could sum up something you'd want said at your funeral, or engraved on a brick for a memorial walk, what would it be?  Mine is:  "she was there in a pinch".
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

The Magic Pudding

Hello, happy birthday, welcome to the first day of your new cyber life.

history_geek

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on February 12, 2012, 06:48:47 AM

Or:
Hello, happy birthday, welcome to the first day of your new cyborg life ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Dobermonster

"Uncompromising Smartass"?
"Persistant Little Fucker"?
"Toed the line"? (this one makes more sense if you knew me as a child :P)

or maybe just this Orwellian quote (which I've loved for a very long time):

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

I'd like to think I would be remembered for being compassionate, advocating for the underdog, stubborn ethics, and always questioning. A tall order to fill, I know, lol.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: history_geek on February 12, 2012, 06:59:53 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on February 12, 2012, 06:48:47 AM

Or:
Hello, happy birthday, welcome to the first day of your new cyborg life ;D

Hells yes!
Bee boop bop
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

Ali is up in Heaven now.

(For those of you that aren't big Kurt Vonnegut fans:)

QuoteYou and the police are entitled to know, since I am going to spend the night near you, that I am both a Humanist and a Luddite. I may hold a Black Mass in the parking garage of the Best Western Hotel, if I can find a neo-conservative baby to sacrifice.

Do you know what a Humanist is? I am honorary president of the American Humanist Association, having succeeded the late, great science fiction writer Isaac Asimov in that functionless capacity. We Humanists try to behave well without any expectation of rewards or punishments in an afterlife. We serve as best we can the only abstraction with which we have any real familiarity, which is our community.

We had a memorial services for Isaac a few years back, and at one point I said, ''Isaac is up in Heaven now.'' It was the funniest thing I could have said to a group of Humanists. I rolled them in the aisles. It was several minutes before order could be restored. And if I should ever die, God forbid, I hope you will say, ''Kurt is up in Heaven now.'' That's my favorite joke.

http://www.vonnegutweb.com/archives/arc_nice.html

pytheas

Tombstone quotes

solitary tomb:
suck and savour the full flavor
explode into the essence of the other

family/partner combined tomb:
"Follow the flow of life
Don't let the bastards put you down"

Ash container engravement or bone box:
"use me"
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

En_Route

Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Asmodean

"May my vengeful ghost haunt you for ever"

As good a headstone inscription as any...
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

I've always said that I'd like the song "parting glass" played at my funeral

So fill to me the parting glass
And drink a health whate'er befalls
And gently rise and softly call
Good night and joy be to you all

Other than that, I'd like to be remembered for being silly.  :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on February 12, 2012, 07:51:25 PM
"May my vengeful ghost haunt you for ever"

As good a headstone inscription as any...

That reminds me of a quote from Shakespeare, "may Hell make war on your spotted soul forever", that I've never found occasion to use, even in LA traffic.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Guardian85

"Here lies a happy atheist.
All dressed up with no place to go."

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

fester30

Let us all ponder our amazement of how he managed to live 130 years despite unhealthy lifestyle choices.  Now let us ponder our amazement of how his wife died the next day at 121 years old.