Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Prostitution, legalise or not?

Started by The Magic Pudding, February 03, 2012, 02:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Amicale on February 07, 2012, 11:54:11 PM
Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on February 07, 2012, 11:19:22 PM
Of course it should be legalized. People go into a particular line of work for the wrong reasons all the time. That is not an excuse to criminalize an industry. An adult has the right to sell their property (including their body) if they choose. The individual owns their body, therefor, the individual has a right to rent their body out if they choose to do so.

Simple as that.

Edit: Also, a lot of society is unhappy with their jobs. Perhaps we should ban Dishwashers... I loved getting yelled at by stupid servers and lower management because the dishes weren't being cleaned quick enough. I was miserable and felt degraded... That profession should be banned.

I agree with you that it should be legalized, and that banning something just because someone went into a line of work with the 'wrong reasons' is a weak argument against it, as well as the argument that someone might be miserable or feel degraded in that line of work -- as you said, lots of us feel degraded and insignificant at work.

But just to play devil's advocate for a moment, as a dishwasher, were you in danger of one of your bosses abusing you physically, raping you, subjecting you to unsafe working environments that risked your wellbeing, or allowing you to contract a potentially deadly disease? Those are a lot of the concerns I see being brought up with prostitution. That, and the 'management' as it were, of prostitution establishments don't have anyone to answer to if they're screwing up or doing something that puts you in danger.

I know it's a weak argument, that's why I made it. It was a joke.  ;)

Edit: Regardless, I will play along with your playing devils advocate. While working as a dishwasher, I had a rash on my feet for over 3 months due to the chemicals in the water that saturated my work boots. I was also susceptible to disease, though not to the extent of a prostitute. I would typically cut myself on broken glass or on sharp metal edges a couple times a week.

Again though, the statement you were initially responding to was meant as a jab at those who use that argument, so don't take my response to seriously.  ;D I hate using smilies, but it's hard to get sarcasm on the internet without them. 
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Guardian85

But just to play devil's advocate for a moment, as a dishwasher, were you in danger of one of your bosses abusing you physically, raping you, subjecting you to unsafe working environments that risked your wellbeing, or allowing you to contract a potentially deadly disease? Those are a lot of the concerns I see being brought up with prostitution. That, and the 'management' as it were, of prostitution establishments don't have anyone to answer to if they're screwing up or doing something that puts you in danger.

As a dishwasher you could be in danger of being abused or assaulted by your boss or another employee. The difference is that the dishwasher can go to the police without fearing arrest for washing dishes. ;)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Amicale

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on February 08, 2012, 01:35:21 AM
Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on February 07, 2012, 11:19:22 PM
Of course it should be legalized. People go into a particular line of work for the wrong reasons all the time. That is not an excuse to criminalize an industry. An adult has the right to sell their property (including their body) if they choose. The individual owns their body, therefor, the individual has a right to rent their body out if they choose to do so.

Simple as that.

Edit: Also, a lot of society is unhappy with their jobs. Perhaps we should ban Dishwashers... I loved getting yelled at by stupid servers and lower management because the dishes weren't being cleaned quick enough. I was miserable and felt degraded... That profession should be banned.

I agree with you that it should be legalized, and that banning something just because someone went into a line of work with the 'wrong reasons' is a weak argument against it, as well as the argument that someone might be miserable or feel degraded in that line of work -- as you said, lots of us feel degraded and insignificant at work.

I know it's a weak argument, that's why I made it. It was a joke.  ;)

Edit: Regardless, I will play along with your playing devils advocate. While working as a dishwasher, I had a rash on my feet for over 3 months due to the chemicals in the water that saturated my work boots. I was also susceptible to disease, though not to the extent of a prostitute. I would typically cut myself on broken glass or on sharp metal edges a couple times a week.

Again though, the statement you were initially responding to was meant as a jab at those who use that argument, so don't take my response to seriously.  ;D I hate using smilies, but it's hard to get sarcasm on the internet without them. 

Forgive me. For reasons somewhat beyond my control, my jokes and sarcasm meter is broken somewhat. They didn't call me 'Captain Oblivious' in highschool for nuthin'...  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Amicale on February 08, 2012, 08:51:05 PM

Forgive me. For reasons somewhat beyond my control, my jokes and sarcasm meter is broken somewhat. They didn't call me 'Captain Oblivious' in highschool for nuthin'...  ;D

No need to forgive you. It's extremely easy to miss things like that when they are in print. I have been guilty multiple times of not catching sarcasm and attempts at humor on message boards.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Crocoduck

While I've never sought out a prostitute I have had lap dances in strip clubs that crossed a line. I can't say I've ever felt the slightest guilt that I may have victimized the dancer because I never prearranged for it or even knew I was about to get an extra nasty dance before hand. I've always just counted it as a lucky thing.

That doesn't mean I didn't feel sinful and hypocritical because these weren't Christian places to go. Oddly enough most of my church buddies loved to hear stories about how I'd gone to some new club and meet a hot blond whose name just happened to be Goldilockz, what are the odds of that?

I have worked with guys who used to go to Nevada and stop in to some of the brothels. It never sounded very fun to me seeing as it always begins with the girl giving you a complete visual inspection then scrubbing you down with iodine. I figure there must not be many married men cheating on their wives there because it takes a couple days for the iodine stains to come off your junk.

As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

statichaos

I'm good with nearly anything between consenting adults in terms of sex.  While I find prostitution distasteful, I find other perfectly legal means of making money to be even more distasteful, so I'm not sure why we single out sex for such an inordinate amount of attention.