News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Mythology: tell us about your favourite gods/goddesses!

Started by Amicale, January 31, 2012, 11:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reprobate

Loki is certainly one of the most interesting deities. He's a prankster of sorts, but some of his pranks are pretty malevolent.

I am a non-religious Asatruar in a way. I enjoy the Mythology of the Norse and the Havamal. Of the all of the Aesir and Vanir, my favorite is Odin. It was Odin who hanged for three days on the World Tree, was pierced by a spear,(Any of that sound familiar?) and sacrificed an eye for knowledge and the secrets of the runes, a sacrifice which he hasn't thrown in our faces for 2000 years now.

Sweetdeath

It's funny you bring up. Norse mythology is suppose to be a lot older than Christian mythology.
I tried to bring the sacrafice thing up with various religious people, and they just brushed it off.  :\
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Reprobate

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 12, 2012, 11:30:07 PM
It's funny you bring up. Norse mythology is suppose to be a lot older than Christian mythology.
I tried to bring the sacrafice thing up with various religious people, and they just brushed it off.  :\

I don't know that it is older than the christian mythology, but it certainly arose indepently of christian influence. I think the time frame may actually be a couple/ few centuries later, but it definitely evolved from older Germanic beliefs. I'm not sure anyone knows when they began.

Amicale

Quote from: Reprobate on February 13, 2012, 01:48:29 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 12, 2012, 11:30:07 PM

I don't know that it is older than the christian mythology, but it certainly arose indepently of christian influence. I think the time frame may actually be a couple/ few centuries later, but it definitely evolved from older Germanic beliefs. I'm not sure anyone knows when they began.

From my (limited) understanding of Norse culture, the culture itself arose several centuries BCE, but it wasn't written down or recorded. What we do have from the ancient Norse culture are the statues of gods and goddesses that show us that their mythology was well developed, although perhaps not documented (or if it was, it's been lost to history). Most of what we know of Norse mythology today was developed after the spread of Judeo-Christianity developed. As you said, it definitely evolved from the older beliefs. :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Reprobate

Quote from: Amicale on February 13, 2012, 02:46:41 AM
From my (limited) understanding of Norse culture, the culture itself arose several centuries BCE, but it wasn't written down or recorded. What we do have from the ancient Norse culture are the statues of gods and goddesses that show us that their mythology was well developed, although perhaps not documented (or if it was, it's been lost to history). Most of what we know of Norse mythology today was developed after the spread of Judeo-Christianity developed. As you said, it definitely evolved from the older beliefs. :)

Most of the record that remains came from Iceland, the Prose Edda by Snorri Sturluson. Whatever may have been recorded elsewhere would have been destroyed for being heretical and blasphemous when Scandanavia converted to Christianity. Some remained as oral tradition in Europe, but the conversion of Iceland came after the church had relented somewhat in the destruction of historical and cultural texts. Some of the older Anglo-Saxon beliefs are similar, but knowledge of them is sketchy as well.

Beachdragon

Quote from: Tank on February 10, 2012, 07:11:34 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 10, 2012, 12:52:48 AM
Quote from: Tank on February 09, 2012, 01:51:47 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 09, 2012, 01:44:25 PM
I was extremely fascinated by Greek mythology for a while. I even named my snake after the Greek goddess of the blue sky, Theia.
I agree that Greek Mythology is a rich and interesting subject. Didn't Bill & Ted go there?

They got Plato or Socrates in one of the movies, right?
Yes. I think it was them.

It was Socrates...pronounced Sow Craytes.  :)

Be excellent to each other.

En_Route

Blanaid the goddess of punctures, defective anti-virus programmes and cancelled airflights. At least she moved with the times.And possibly to Hebden Bridge.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).