News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Mythology: tell us about your favourite gods/goddesses!

Started by Amicale, January 31, 2012, 11:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 01, 2012, 07:46:03 AM
I would prefer to identify myself with Heimdall. The gift of foresight, battle skills and connoseur of the finer things in life.

And he gets to kill Loki at Ragnarok.

Doesn't Loki get to kill him right back?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on February 01, 2012, 07:59:29 AM
Bilious

The "Oh God of Hangovers," who gets all of the bad effects of drinking even though he has never touched a drop. He has a supreme dislike of people who drink heavily, especially if they don't appear to suffer from a hangover the next day; understandably so, since the reason that they have not, in fact, suffered a hangover, is because he has suffered it instead.

He appears in "Hogfather," where he decides to drop his duties as the Oh God of Hangovers and become holiday relief for other gods. He also begins dating one of the many Tooth Fairies and still exists because of her belief in him.

LOL, I love Terry Pratchett. *grin* +1 for Tank!

I'm really enjoying your answers, everyone!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Guardian85

Quote from: Asmodean on February 01, 2012, 08:01:44 AM
Quote from: Guardian85 on February 01, 2012, 07:46:03 AM
I would prefer to identify myself with Heimdall. The gift of foresight, battle skills and connoseur of the finer things in life.

And he gets to kill Loki at Ragnarok.

Doesn't Loki get to kill him right back?

Details, details...  8)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Too Few Lions

Dionysos, for giving us the joys of wine, and promoting inebriation, pleasure and festivity throughout the world (not enough gods do that kind of thing!)

plus he rode a leopard, and that's quite a cool thing to do.

Siz

Athene of course.

Wisdom, courage, inspiration, civilization, law and justice, just warfare, mathematics, strength, strategy, the arts, crafts, and skill.

Hmmm, I think that covers it...!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Too Few Lions on February 01, 2012, 12:01:26 PM

I think high level inebriation would be required to raise my enthusiasm sufficiently to undertake such an activity.
Perhaps if I'd run out of drink and I didn't want to risk the police pulling my car over, I might try riding a leopard to the bottle shop.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on February 01, 2012, 12:34:57 PM
I think high level inebriation would be required to raise my enthusiasm sufficiently to undertake such an activity.
Perhaps if I'd run out of drink and I didn't want to risk the police pulling my car over, I might try riding a leopard to the bottle shop.
maybe that's why he did it. Dionysos was out merry-making with his maenads and satyrs one night, having had one krater too many of his favourite vino, when he saw a leopard, and thought, 'Fuck it, I can ride that baby, looks like fun!'

Asmodean

I still think The Asmo, the god of clowns and pottery, is the most kickass of them all. Followed closely by Ba'al from Stargate SG1.  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Guardian85

Quote from: Too Few Lions on February 01, 2012, 12:01:26 PM
Dionysos, for giving us the joys of wine, and promoting inebriation, pleasure and festivity throughout the world (not enough gods do that kind of thing!)

I rate him a close second.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Buddy

There is a lady on DeviantArt who does pictures of Nordic mythology. I love the way she visualizes and describes them.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Traveler

Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 01, 2012, 02:35:45 PM
There is a lady on DeviantArt who does pictures of Nordic mythology. I love the way she visualizes and describes them.

What? No link???
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

MariaEvri

QuoteDionysos, for giving us the joys of wine, and promoting inebriation, pleasure and festivity throughout the world
for one week every September, we have the wine festival. Started out as a dyonisus celebration at the ancient years but now its just a festival with FREE WINE
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Ecurb Noselrub

mistake

Buddy

Quote from: Traveler on February 01, 2012, 04:14:28 PM

What? No link???

http//www.humon.deviantart.com

Should work. I had to type it from memory.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

history_geek

Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 01, 2012, 05:14:41 PM
Quote from: Traveler on February 01, 2012, 04:14:28 PM

What? No link???

http//www.humon.deviantart.com

Should work. I had to type it from memory.

http://humon.deviantart.com/

That one certainly worked  ;)

On related note, does anyone else read "Scandinavian and the World"?

Linkity-link: http://satwcomic.com/the-world

Also, I think I'll go with any old Finnish pagan god; Ukko, Tapio, Mielikki, Ahti, Ilmarinen.... :P
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i