News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

2012: Year of the Bible in Pennsylvania

Started by Recusant, January 30, 2012, 01:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

Hey, all you haters! You don't like the way my state swings, just stay the hell out of it!

;D

But someone please come and rescue me first!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

philosoraptor

As a former Pennsylvanian, I'm embarrassed that they think this is okay and angry that they wasted time passing this when they could be doing something that would actually help the people who pay taxes there.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Traveler

I'm in Maryland, which borders Pennsylvania. My dad, an agnostic humanist from his teens until his dying day, was born and raised in Pennsylvanie. I continue to be pissed about this. I showed it to my 80 year old mother and she was equally shocked. I wonder how many, if any, of them wanted to vote against it but were afraid to. It's a sad state of affairs when a country that used to be considered a major superpower, and that was known as a nation of freedom fighters, has been brought to such lows.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Sweetdeath

I think most bible thumpers think the world is ending this year. *eye roll* They're in for a fun surprise.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 30, 2012, 10:51:05 PM
I think most bible thumpers think the world is ending this year. *eye roll* They're in for a fun surprise.

Don't they think the world is ending most years?  I wonder if they ever get sick of being wrong...

Harmonie

Which doesn't even make any sense as I'm pretty sure it says somewhere in the Bible that nobody will know the date of the end time.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

philosoraptor

Quote from: Radiant on January 30, 2012, 11:37:10 PM

Which doesn't even make any sense as I'm pretty sure it says somewhere in the Bible that nobody will know the date of the end time.

I forget the exact passage, but yeah, it's in there.
-Muse

Sweetdeath

I don't think they ever tire of being wrong. Except my dad loves to delight in "knowing the end will come in his lifetime, but only jesus will tell him so."
.... It is so moot to even attempt to argue such stupidity.
I'm just going to assume all my decent genes came from my mother.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Reprobate

Fuck, I knew I should've stayed in Colorado.

This is ridiculous. How did I miss this little news item. Maybe next year we can reprise the inquisition. Year of the Bible my ass. I'm offended, repulsed, angered, disgusted, and nauseated all at the same time. I should throw in ashamed too, because I live here.

Traveler

I vote that next year we have the year of the Harry Potter series. And the year after that we can have the year of the Twilight series. Next year it can be Dr. Seuss, and so on. Maybe that'll learn 'em!!!

This is the most ridiculous idea I've heard in awhile.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Quote from: Tank on February 15, 2012, 11:04:40 PMThere should be a 'Discworld' year.

Hear, hear! I move that 2013 shall be "Year of Small Gods."
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

The dancing turtle is highly appropriate!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

philosoraptor

In case anyone was wondering, two Congressional reps for PA brought this back for a revote because the outcry against it was so significant and because they admittedly hadn't read the resolution as carefully as they should have.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/139411523.html
-Muse

Sweetdeath

When is it going to be year of the zombie?