News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Meaning of "Spiritual but Not Religious"

Started by Anne D., January 29, 2012, 03:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anne D.

When I hear this phrase, I hear a description I might've used for myself at a point in my youth when a better description would've been "intellectually lazy." At that time, I did not subscribe to any particular set of religious beliefs, but I did believe (or maybe just wanted to believe) in a benevolent force/"energy" that had created the universe and perhaps intervened in human affairs, as well as the possibility of an afterlife. I had yet to go through the process of forcing myself to evaluate whether those beliefs really made sense.

The phrase "spiritual but not religious" also seems to sometimes connote a belief in certain "New Age-y" concepts that are just as insupportable as a belief in a god.

In short, I usually find this phrase really annoying. That said, I realize it might have a different meaning to other people. What do you hear when a person uses this phrase to describe himself?

Whitney

I think it if is used appropriately then it has the practical purpose of quickly pointing out that someone doesn't follow an organized religion.  However, there are a lot of Christians who tend to call themselves spiritual but not religious but that's just silly as if they were not religious they wouldn't believe in Jesus.  I've also come across a very small handful of "spiritual atheists" online...they didn't believe in a god but thought there may be something supernatural going on.

Ali

"I think I'm interesting and smart, but I actually just don't really think about things in any depth."

Wow, I think I'm feeling snarky this morning!

Anne D.

Quote from: Ali on January 29, 2012, 03:39:44 PM
"I think I'm interesting and smart, but I actually just don't really think about things in any depth."

Wow, I think I'm feeling snarky this morning!

LOL! Yeah, me too. As much as I try not to have a knee-jerk reaction to the phrase, it does seem to instantly bring out the snark.  :)

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Anne D. on January 29, 2012, 03:33:20 PM
The phrase "spiritual but not religious" also seems to sometimes connote a belief in certain "New Age-y" concepts that are just as insupportable as a belief in a god.

New Age-y is how I tend to think of it, but I suppose it might also apply to pantheists. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

As pointed out, I think it all boils down to organised superstition vs. personal superstition.

So, "spiritual but not religious" is pretty much "superstitious, but not in a union"
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Anne D.

Quote from: Asmodean on January 29, 2012, 06:26:40 PM
As pointed out, I think it all boils down to organised superstition vs. personal superstition.

So, "spiritual but not religious" is pretty much "superstitious, but not in a union"

This is a great line.

Tank

Quote from: Anne D. on January 29, 2012, 06:37:04 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on January 29, 2012, 06:26:40 PM

This is a great line.
Don't forget we now have a Members Quotation thread! Hint Hint!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Anne D.

Asmodean

...And The Asmo's ego sores a quote in the quote thread  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

I guess this is maybe another angle I've heard the 'spiritual but not religious' line coming from:

People who are theists say this to indicate that while they're open to the concept of God, they reject and/or resent having to follow what they see as lists of meaningless rules, commandments, etc. In Christianity, "I'm spiritual but not religious" is generally used perjoratively against organized churches, such as the Catholic church. I've talked to plenty of Protestants who scoff at Catholic "religiousity" (while the whole time they're wearing a cross around their own neck, a WWJD bracelet, and carrying a bible in an expensive case to show off their own holiness  :D). In theism generally, I've always just understood it to mean that they don't belong to a specific church, sect, or group.... but I've never associated it directly with new agey type beliefs. Deism, if anything, unless of course they specify what they mean by the word 'spiritual'.

It kinda reminds me of that video, 'I love Jesus but I hate religion' that's gone viral on Youtube. People want to associate themselves with an idea, without also identifying with an institution. I can understand that desire, but the problem is, it's kind of like saying "I work as a programmer at X company, but I'm not really part of X or anything, I just happen to work there." Well, if you collect your pay from them, go to the staff meetings, sign the work contracts... guess what? You're a part of X whether you like it or not.  :P

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

The Magic Pudding

I don't use the phrase myself.

aesthete: One who professes great sensitivity to the beauty of art and nature.

If I experience a state of bliss in a perfect place on a perfect day, I don't ascribe a supernatural reason or try to explain it away with science.  Not that I think scientific explanations diminish experience. Spiritual as the experience of being intensely alive or having a connection with nature isn't objectionable to me.

Sweetdeath

My girlfriend is guilty of saying that phrase. I never know how to respond to it. She says she doesn't believe in god, but keeps her mind open to super natural things as well. I'm just like "ok, as long as church and prayer aren't involved , I dont mind." :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 30, 2012, 04:25:20 AM
My girlfriend is guilty of saying that phrase. I never know how to respond to it. She says she doesn't believe in god, but keeps her mind open to super natural things as well. I'm just like "ok, as long as church and prayer aren't involved , I dont mind." :)

Church I understand. But if she got involved in something that resembled prayer, would that be the end for you?