News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Teach me your language

Started by Ali, January 28, 2012, 06:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

On the more SFW side of things.

In Swedish hello is hallå but most people just use hej.

Thank you is tack.

Cheers is skål.

The only extra letters in the Swedish alphabet are å, ä, and ö
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Buddy

There is a wonderful YouTube user who teaches Swedish:
http://www.youtube.com/user/GoSwedish
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xXxWashburnxXx

In Kentucky the letter G is often left off of words ending in ing.
Evolution is JUST a theory. Ya know, like gravity!

Buddy

Quote from: xXxWashburnxXx on January 28, 2012, 11:12:26 PM
In Kentucky the letter G is often left off of words ending in ing.

Yea we call that the lazy g. You hear it a lot in jag, mig, and sometimes idag.

Gawen

Quote from: OldGit on January 28, 2012, 03:00:11 PM
Wotcher is a corruption of What cheer?, a medieval greeting which originally asked 'what's happening that's good?'.  I don't think it's been understood by most speakers since around Shakespeare's time.
You fell into that one all on you're own...ye olde Git...*laffin*
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Amicale

Quote from: Gawen on January 28, 2012, 11:50:42 PM
Quote from: OldGit on January 28, 2012, 03:00:11 PM
Wotcher is a corruption of What cheer?, a medieval greeting which originally asked 'what's happening that's good?'.  I don't think it's been understood by most speakers since around Shakespeare's time.
You fell into that one all on you're own...ye olde Git...*laffin*

I'm very familiar with 'Wotcher', as is anyone who's ever been a fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. *grin* (it's particularly used in 'Wyrd Sisters', which is a hilarious parody of Macbeth)

Ali, I loved your attempt at the pronunciation! I wouldn't have done any better!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Ali

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 28, 2012, 09:24:55 PM
"Vi skåler for våre venner og de som vi kjenner,
og de som vi ikke kjenner dem skiter vi i!"
http://vocaroo.com/?media=vKnxKsCiHHEQ9FIcb

A toast to all our friends and those that we know,
and of those we do not no we don't give a shit.

My favourite norwegian toast.

That's a pretty good toast.  My grandpa has a pretty good toast that he uses

"Here's to you, and here's to me.  I pray we never disagree.  But should we ever disagree, to hell with you, here's to me."

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Ali on January 29, 2012, 02:21:10 AM
"Here's to you, and here's to me.  I pray we never disagree.  But should we ever disagree, to hell with you, here's to me."

I like that, you'd have to do it early on though, even "Take what you can get / Give nothing back," can be hard to remember after a while.

Wessik

Hmmm... Should I...?

Dein kaebe cheute sesein, fuhle...
Why certainly, sir, I do agree with your idea in the utmost as a paragon of virtue and efficiency. Thank you sir.

Ich halte die meurenlusse.
I am taking an extremely long shower. Don't bother me.

Die steunen de dein ische maedste muchreule mit die otterlahden.
Of course your daughter is chaste.

>:D

(-Y-)_/`
I have my own blog! redkarp.blogspot.com!

philosoraptor

Wessik, du bist boshaft! ;-)

I've always enjoyed Scheisse passiert, which is the German equivalent of shit happens.  And of course schadenfreude, which has no English equivalent, but breaks down to the pleasure you get in observing someone else's misfortune-especially if they had it coming!

L'esprit de l'escalier is a French expression that literally translates to "the spirit of the staircase".  It refers to the phenomenon of thinking of the perfect comeback to something only after you've already walked away.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

history_geek

Quote from: philosoraptor on January 30, 2012, 09:08:47 PMschadenfreude, which has no English equivalent, but breaks down to the pleasure you get in observing someone else's misfortune-especially if they had it coming!

To us the equivelant would be "vahingonilo", with "vahinko" meaning a missfortune or accident, and "ilo" being joy. There's actaully a saying in Finnish that "Vahingonilo on paras ilo" - "The joy at someone (elses) missfortune is the best joy". ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i