News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Parents pride thread

Started by Siz, January 27, 2012, 06:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

So, it's been a while since I sang the praises of my kids on here, so I thought I'd talk at you all about them a bit.

MiniSiz now 15y/o and getting ready to take his GCSEs... which isn't a pretty sight. However, if he can pull his finger out of his arse he should get enough to qualify for the 'A' levels he wants to do at college.
He's just passed his Cho Dan Bo (Black belt candidate) belt in Karate and should be testing for the Black belt proper after June. He overtook me in the sparring ring about six months ago and I can't get anywhere near him now (I'm a few belts behind him). 5ft 11 and FAST. He won Silver and Bronze medals (Hyungs(forms) and sparring respectively) at the National Champs in 2018, and exactly the same in 2019. Came up against the same fella in the sparring final both times.
He's into his sailing now and jointly owns and races a Buzz Dinghy with his helm.
He's a chilled fella, (mostly) - a little too chilled to be a successful anything. Personable, polite and fun. Loves his Thrash music - wont listen to anything else. He ploughs his own furrow and will not be led by the crowd. Good on him!

MicroSiz now 13-going-on-30. Represented her bourough at Netball in the London Youth Games earlier this year, having been part of her school team that won the Borough Championships. Sails a bit. Loves Drama, and singing. Likes her phone. Likes make-up.  Hates rules. Hates parents. Hates school but does quite well. She's a tough nut, this one - challenges authority at every turn, assertive, haughty and feisty. She knows what she wants and makes sure she gets it. She's gonna be just fine!

They were both little squidgelets when I first joined HAF and now they're off out into the big, bad world without me. :'(

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Siz

If you notice this notice, you'll notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

Icarus

Mini and Micro Siz are likely to be just fine, in part because they are sailors.  I am a lifelong sailor who used to be competitive before I attained doddering old fool age.  Competitive sailing is one of the more demanding of sports. It is a discipline that teaches keen attention to details and tactical skills as well as physical endurance.  I think of it as a sort of  wet, and often painful chess game. Guts and brains.

I salute them from afar and also give a credit to the parents who must be doing some things right.  Tell the little Sizs that they have an admirer from far, far away.

Siz

Quote from: Icarus on November 01, 2019, 11:42:19 PM
Mini and Micro Siz are likely to be just fine, in part because they are sailors.  I am a lifelong sailor who used to be competitive before I attained doddering old fool age.  Competitive sailing is one of the more demanding of sports. It is a discipline that teaches keen attention to details and tactical skills as well as physical endurance.  I think of it as a sort of  wet, and often painful chess game. Guts and brains.

I salute them from afar and also give a credit to the parents who must be doing some things right.  Tell the little Sizs that they have an admirer from far, far away.
Thanks Iccy. There are some things I'm proud of as a parent and some things not. I think my pragmatism and outlook/worldview has translated well (though Mrs Siz will disagree) to create thinking, independent, resilient individuals. I now understand that my relationship with my own failures in life had manifested in high expectations and harsh criticism of them for their imperfections.That may have precipitated confidence issues. My bad, and my biggest regret in life. A promising cycling career fell off a cliff partly because I pushed too hard. So, when they took up sailing I was conscious not to be that parent and they've thrived on it with zero pressure. Its all about the fun, which is the way it should be.

I've certainly always viewed sailing as a life skill. A dichotomy of constant frustration and joy for me personally (I own and race a Blaze dinghy).  The highlight of my week.

What was your vessel of choice?

Bluenose

I don't know if I've posted about this on HAF before, but here goes anyway.

Blue Jnr and DIL have three girls, two of their own (GD1 & GD2) as well as a recent addition of DIL's cousin's daughter, NewGD.  GD1 is a bit over 3½ and GD2 will be 1 in a few weeks.  NewGD (2½) was taken into care and would have been placed in foster care if not for Blue Jbr & DIL putting their hands up to take her on.  In the four or so months NewGD has been in the family she has blossomed into a happy little girl who loves playing with her sisters.  Although originally Blue Jnr & DIL were "auntie... and uncle..." NewGD started calling them mum and dad fairly soon.  She calls me Granddad :)

It gives ma great pleasure to see how my son and daughter-in-law have taken on this child who had a not very happy start in life.  She now has a bright future. Blue Jnr and DIL do not plan on hiding NewGD's origins and they will explain how she came to live with them in age appropriate ways as she grows up.  They do not want her to ever feel like she has been lied to, rather that she was chosen to be a part of the family.  NewGD and GD1 get on like a house on fire and GD2 (AKA "MeToo") is always excited when the other two are playing together.  Once she is on her feet, not too far away at the moment, I think we'll see three little girls running around laughing and squealing.  Happy times for a proud dad/granddad
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

My daughter (2) won the thong (haviana, flip flop) throwing comp at her end of year work thing.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Siz

Quote from: Bad Penny II on January 25, 2020, 01:30:00 PM
My daughter (2) won the thong (haviana, flip flop) throwing comp at her end of year work thing.

Nope, you're gonna have to do better than that BP. Explanation please.

Prycejosh1987

I have not had children but i have looked after and helped young siblings in their lives. I believe spirituality is a comfort which is designed to promote healthy relationships.

Tank

Quote from: Prycejosh1987 on August 16, 2023, 09:28:13 PMI have not had children but i have looked after and helped young siblings in their lives. I believe spirituality is a comfort which is designed to promote healthy relationships.

More rubbish.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on August 17, 2023, 03:54:55 AM
Quote from: Prycejosh1987 on August 16, 2023, 09:28:13 PMI have not had children but i have looked after and helped young siblings in their lives. I believe spirituality is a comfort which is designed to promote healthy relationships.

More rubbish.
I disagree. It's a legitimate belief that many people hold, with or without the involvement of a specific religion.

Personally, I put no stock in spirituality. What promotes healthy relationships is the ability to cooperate and compromise, (mutual-) respect certainly helps and, of course, at least somewhat compatible personalities.

Ok, it's not quite that two-dimensional, but I would say that as a general rule, the dimension of spirituality is simply not needed.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.