News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Your conversion to atheism

Started by xXxWashburnxXx, January 26, 2012, 11:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

Quote from: Jimmy on March 25, 2012, 07:32:06 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 24, 2012, 07:39:16 PM
Quote from: Jimmy on March 24, 2012, 06:55:44 PM
I asked too many questions!!!   :D No one had a satisfying answer  :'( , well at least my parents, relatives, and church didn't.

Yep.  Nothing made sense, and the more I studied the less sense it made.  I was told I would understand . . . eventually . . . when I was older.  And I guess I did, tho not in the way I was intended to.  I read the bible front to back and understood that as a collection of moral fables went it was no worse than most, but not really any better either.  As a practical guide to life it had several good points that could also be found in other religions or secular philosophies, and a whole lot of bullshit.  Which I'm not condemning either the bible or its compliers for, that's generally how it goes with old stories.  But I'm supposed to be accepting this as literally true (which was way I was taught) and for modern day use?  No.

Quote. . .  if there is a God, then it at most, far removed from personal matters.

That's pretty much where I'm at.  There may well be a god, for all I know or can know, but I seriously doubt the various guesses of humans have any resemblence the possible actualifty, and the Xtian god seems to me particularly improbable with its aggressively human slant.

Exactly!! Even if there IS one, I'm sure it's not biased in favor of humans or that any of the religions are "right" about the characteristics that being may have; or how it behave toward us.

Right on. After all, humans being the most "sentient" or "intelligent" being on earth wouldn't mean that humans would by default be the favourite being of a creator. Perhaps that creator would enjoy the dolphins or snails best. Or perhaps earth was just a practice demo or trial run for some other planet out there in another galaxy far, far away, and the creator's lavishing all of its attention on the creatures that inhabit it. Perhaps a creator would give no more individual attention to its creation than any artist on earth gives to their creation -- they paint/build/make it, and then everything's done, and that's that!  ;) How are we to know, and who are we to say?  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Amicale on March 25, 2012, 08:02:21 PM
Right on. After all, humans being the most "sentient" or "intelligent" being on earth wouldn't mean that humans would by default be the favourite being of a creator. Perhaps that creator would enjoy the dolphins or snails best.

If we judge popularity with the divine by how many of a thing it made, then insects are far and away it's favorites and we are in serious trouble for inventing Raid.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Amicale

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 25, 2012, 08:06:31 PM
Right on. After all, humans being the most "sentient" or "intelligent" being on earth wouldn't mean that humans would by default be the favourite being of a creator. Perhaps that creator would enjoy the dolphins or snails best.

If we judge popularity with the divine by how many of a thing it made, then insects are far and away it's favorites and we are in serious trouble for inventing Raid.

*nods solemnly*

And for using flyswatters, bug zappers, and doing away with 8-legged freaks.  :D

In fact, my worst nightmare is that I die one day, wake up again, realize 'oh, there WAS a God' and that God turns out to be a many-legged insect or spider. I think that would be hell, for me!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Jimmy

Quote from: Amicale on March 25, 2012, 08:09:20 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 25, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

*nods solemnly*

And for using flyswatters, bug zappers, and doing away with 8-legged freaks.  :D

In fact, my worst nightmare is that I die one day, wake up again, realize 'oh, there WAS a God' and that God turns out to be a many-legged insect or spider. I think that would be hell, for me!

LOL, how ironic that would be!!

You know, the way humans are killing off everything else, I'm sure we would be God's least favorite. "Damn humans destroy everything I've created! What to do? I KNOW!! I'll just turn up the thermostat just a weee little bit....There, that'll show the little suckers..BAH HAH HAA!! I haven't had THAT much fun since Babylon !!"
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Asmodean

8-legged freaks.  :D
Not insets, those. Different kind of arthropods.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

Quote from: Asmodean on March 25, 2012, 08:27:01 PM
8-legged freaks.  :D
Not insets, those. Different kind of arthropods.

Yes. Arachnids. Which sounds creepy just to type, and makes me itch all over.  :D

Asmodean

Quote from: Amicale on March 25, 2012, 08:28:30 PM
Yes. Arachnids. Which sounds creepy just to type, and makes me itch all over.  :D
Yup. Pieders. Big, nasty, creepy pieders with HUGE fangs.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

Quote from: Asmodean on March 25, 2012, 09:29:06 PM
Quote from: Amicale on March 25, 2012, 08:28:30 PM
Yes. Arachnids. Which sounds creepy just to type, and makes me itch all over.  :D
Yup. Pieders. Big, nasty, creepy pieders with HUGE fangs.

Little Miss Muffet
Sat on her tuffet
Eating her curds and whey
Along came a spider
And sat down beside her
And said "Excuse me, is this seat taken?"
;D

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Amicale on March 25, 2012, 09:46:29 PM

I seriously read "eating her turds and whey" there.  :o
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 25, 2012, 10:37:41 PM

Paging Dr Fraud! Is Dr Fraud available?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Probably because the "t" in tuffet is directly above the "c" in curds. I do that often!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on March 26, 2012, 08:36:03 AM

Paging Dr Fraud! Is Dr Fraud available?

Tank...are you suggesting that it was a Freudian slip on my part?  :o

:-X
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Hector Valdez

Amicale

Quote from: The Semaestro on March 26, 2012, 09:50:38 PM
I am still Roman Catholic.

Cool. :) I used to be, also.

My cat was also Roamin' Cat-lick. Then she briefly tried the catnip over at the Puss-byterians, and now she's an athei-hissssst.  ;D

Anne D.

Quote from: Amicale on March 27, 2012, 12:14:34 AM
Quote from: The Semaestro on March 26, 2012, 09:50:38 PM
I am still Roman Catholic.

Cool. :) I used to be, also.

My cat was also Roamin' Cat-lick. Then she briefly tried the catnip over at the Puss-byterians, and now she's an athei-hissssst.  ;D

Ha!