News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Arian's "Atheism" | Split From "My Lord, I'm an Atheist"

Started by Too Few Lions, January 25, 2012, 10:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Whitney on February 06, 2012, 02:32:55 AM
In response to Arian claiming that none of us are atheists.  Does that actually bother anyone?  

It bothers me to a certain degree, like his claim of being a god-believing atheist, because I don't understand it.  Things I don't understand always bug me until I decide it's simply beyond me and I give up on it.  Pretty much the story of me and religion.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Firebird

No, it doesn't bother me. I know what I am and I'm pretty sure I know what an atheist is much better than he does. What bothered me was when he was acting persecuted when we pointed out the holes in his argument. Having a back and forth conversation with him might have been interesting if not for that. But he reminds me too much of the bible thumpers instead of someone interested in a legitimate discussion/argument.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Whitney

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 06, 2012, 03:33:34 AM
like his claim of being a god-believing atheist

Now...that one does bother me.  Not because it doesn't make sense, though not making sense is in general annoying on a pet peeve level, but him presenting that view to other theists would only further confuse them on what an atheist is or isn't.

I also use bother in the sense that it's emotionally bothering and annoy when something just irks me a bit.  Perhaps they are actually more interchangeable than that.

Ali

Yeah, the absolute refusal to use normal definitions of words (like atheist) was bothersome to me.  It doesn't bother me that he doesn't think I'm an atheist, because he doesn't even acknowledge what an atheist actually is. 

The Magic Pudding

Quote      "I don't know what you mean by 'glory,' " Alice said.
       Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't—till I tell you. I meant 'there's a nice knock-down argument for you!' "
       "But 'glory' doesn't mean 'a nice knock-down argument'," Alice objected.
       "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."
       "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
       "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master      that's all."
       Alice was too much puzzled to say anything, so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. "They've a temper, some of them—particularly verbs, they're the proudest—adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs—however, I can manage the whole lot! Impenetrability! That's what I say!"

I couldn't decide on a humpty, the first one is good, the second one is falling, the third is firmly seated and not likeable.  The third is probably most appropriate.

Too Few Lions

Brilliant MagicPud. If only misguided religious folk were as harmless as Humpty Dumpty, the world would be a far better place.

Ali

I like the idea of verbs having a temper and being unruly.

Too Few Lions

I love both the Alice books, they're wonderful. I've got a nice acid blotter on my mantlepiece based on 'Alice through the Looking Glass'

Dobermonster

Wow . . . just read through the whole thread. Does this sort of thing happen often?   :o

Tank

Quote from: Dobermonster on February 07, 2012, 06:37:14 AM
Wow . . . just read through the whole thread. Does this sort of thing happen often?   :o
No. arian holds a unique world view in my experience.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

Quote from: Dobermonster on February 07, 2012, 06:37:14 AM

This specifically does not happen a lot, but there are some theists who like to play the victim everytime they dig themselves into the proverbial hole and we come and say: "Hey, you in a hoe!"

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Guardian85

Spilled coffee in the keyboard. The damn L is a little slow.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.