News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

My Lord, I'm an Atheist

Started by arian (Banned), January 25, 2012, 07:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Quote from: arian on January 25, 2012, 09:37:42 PM
I am sure other theists will try to confirm the meaning of theism/atheism, which is two sides of the same coin, but please re-read the dictionaries (or any existent encyclopedias definition) and you will see that god and gods are defined, and not the Bible God. The Bible teaches us that GOD who 'IS' is not one from amongst them. "I Am" is not one amongst the man-created gods. GOD is not a 'being', but a 'source of being'.

Well..you are wrong...any philosopher can confirm that you are wrong too.  Look up how philosopher use the words atheist and theist in context.  I have no clue what dictionary you are reading but I suggest tossing it out.

QuoteHow well do you know and understand the Bible?
I no longer bother studying the bible so I'm not as up on knowing it from memory as I use to be.  My understanding is good; but that depends on who you ask.
I can show both from and outside of the Bible that our Creator is not some 'divine-being' who lives in the 'supernatural realm' and speaks to his seekers through 'divinations'.
I dont' understand what you are trying to say here.

It gets involved (philosophy, science, doctrines of men, theories, challenging the re-defined and now accepted definitions of words, and so on), and with my limited education, I still struggle to express myself. English is my third language, and I already forgot the first two. LOL
I will ask all here to bare with me.

Well I can tell you that I will not be debating the validity of the modern usage of words....the meaning of words change over time.  It use to not be a cuss word to say bitch as it just referred to a female dog; now it refers to something entirely different.  So even if the epistemology of atheist were different than how it is used now (and I have no reason to think that it is other than slight variations) then I'd still go with the modern usage.  In fact, I remember coming across some information that stated atheist was at one point used to define someone who wasn't Christian; someone who rejected the Bible....it's actually used in that way in modern times by people who incorrectly associate atheism with satanism (hence the 'evil' definition found in some dictionaries).

QuoteIt would help if you got aquatinted a little with people in history like 'Arian', and the Philosopher named 'Tillich'.
No offense, but I probably won't have the time or interest to do that.  Someone else might.

arian (Banned)

Quote from: Tank on January 25, 2012, 09:23:19 PM
Quote from: arian on January 25, 2012, 09:11:32 PM

All I have under 'Modify Profile' is
'Account Related Settings' and nothing else shows up as you show here. ???
See what happens after you have made the 'magic' 10 posts. If you are still haveing problems shout (PM me)!

AHA! Problem solved itself, thank you so much Tank!
This member has been banned. So don't expect any answers to your questions or comments.

The Magic Pudding

Hello Arian

Quote from: arian on January 25, 2012, 07:15:16 PM
I have since got to know GOD, and He showed me that todays Christianity is not very 'Christ-like', and its teaching is a perversion of the early Believing Church that followed in the footsteps of Christ.

I wonder if these enlightened "early Believing Church" people ever actually existed as a group.
Perhaps Christianity is of use to slaves and kings, I'm neither so I don't have any use for it.

arian (Banned)

Quote from: Whitney on January 25, 2012, 10:02:39 PM
Quote from: arian on January 25, 2012, 09:37:42 PM
I am sure other theists will try to confirm the meaning of theism/atheism, which is two sides of the same coin, but please re-read the dictionaries (or any existent encyclopedias definition) and you will see that god and gods are defined, and not the Bible God. The Bible teaches us that GOD who 'IS' is not one from amongst them. "I Am" is not one amongst the man-created gods. GOD is not a 'being', but a 'source of being'.

Well..you are wrong...any philosopher can confirm that you are wrong too.  Look up how philosopher use the words atheist and theist in context.  I have no clue what dictionary you are reading but I suggest tossing it out.

Exactly, they all believe that our GOD of the Bible is 'one of the' theistic gods, ... maybe the greatest and the bestest one, but in either case, .. one of them. We don't have to throw them out, but keep ourselves from being 'indoctrinated' by them.

QuoteHow well do you know and understand the Bible?

I no longer bother studying the bible so I'm not as up on knowing it from memory as I use to be.  My understanding is good; but that depends on who you ask.

As long as you know the general concept is good.

I can show both from and outside of the Bible that our Creator is not some 'divine-being' who lives in the 'supernatural realm' and speaks to his seekers through 'divinations'.

I dont' understand what you are trying to say here.

Divine, supernatural, all refer to the theistic God or gods.

Quote from: arian
It gets involved (philosophy, science, doctrines of men, theories, challenging the re-defined and now accepted definitions of words, and so on), and with my limited education, I still struggle to express myself. English is my third language, and I already forgot the first two. LOL
I will ask all here to bare with me.

Well I can tell you that I will not be debating the validity of the modern usage of words....the meaning of words change over time.  It use to not be a cuss word to say bitch as it just referred to a female dog; now it refers to something entirely different.  So even if the epistemology of atheist were different than how it is used now (and I have no reason to think that it is other than slight variations) then I'd still go with the modern usage.  In fact, I remember coming across some information that stated atheist was at one point used to define someone who wasn't Christian; someone who rejected the Bible....it's actually used in that way in modern times by people who incorrectly associate atheism with satanism (hence the 'evil' definition found in some dictionaries).

You see, .. it is good to have a correct definition doesn't it? I mean just because you don't believe in some gods should not mean you should be associated with some people who sacrifice babies on alters and dring their blood, .. right?

QuoteIt would help if you got aquatinted a little with people in history like 'Arian', and the Philosopher named 'Tillich'.

No offense, but I probably won't have the time or interest to do that.  Someone else might.

No problem my friend, glad to debate with you.
This member has been banned. So don't expect any answers to your questions or comments.

Melmoth

Hello arian - welcome! I like your style, by the way. It's nice to finally meet an atheist who believes in God! :D I confess to being boringly orthodox in that respect, I don't believe in god, though I am a vegetarian cannibal.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

arian (Banned)

Quote from: Melmoth on February 01, 2012, 03:31:35 AM
Hello arian - welcome! I like your style, by the way. It's nice to finally meet an atheist who believes in God! :D I confess to being boringly orthodox in that respect, I don't believe in god, though I am a vegetarian cannibal.

Thank you cannibal, ... I mean Melmoth, it is a pleasure to meat you too!

Hey, ... maybe one day I'll get to see you devour a watermellon, cannibal style.  :o
Boringly Orthodox? Have you tried unorthodox yet? You got the style man, ... LOL After all, you are half way there, your a happy atheist. Hmm.. an 'unorthodoxly happy atheist', ... I like it.

Fun stuff, I like being amongst 'happy atheists', sure beats to sit in church amongst them theists with all them gods speaking through them by divinations. Used to scare the hell out of me though, .. the preacher would jump up with hands raised speaking the toungues of at least 6 gods at once.

Nice to meet you friend.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Melmoth on February 01, 2012, 03:31:35 AM

I had to check your profile - Location:    UK

That's a relief, your not an American doing irony, racial stereotype isn't threatened.

I am sorry for resorting to stereotyping, not enough not to use it for my wicked purpose though.  :)

arian (Banned)

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 26, 2012, 01:50:56 AM
Hello Arian

Quote from: arian on January 25, 2012, 07:15:16 PM
I have since got to know GOD, and He showed me that todays Christianity is not very 'Christ-like', and its teaching is a perversion of the early Believing Church that followed in the footsteps of Christ.

I wonder if these enlightened "early Believing Church" people ever actually existed as a group.
Perhaps Christianity is of use to slaves and kings, I'm neither so I don't have any use for it.

Oh I believe they existed, but as we read, not for long.

Hello The Magic Pudding. I love your 'evolution-poster'.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: arian on February 01, 2012, 05:12:12 AM

Thanks, I think you influenced me when I inserted the hindered but not crippled by religion guy, I reverted to the simpler version though.

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

I too am very intrigued by what a bible-believing athiest believes...

???
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

arian (Banned)

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on February 01, 2012, 07:50:13 AM
Quote from: arian on February 01, 2012, 05:12:12 AM

Thanks, I think you influenced me when I inserted the hindered but not crippled by religion guy, I reverted to the simpler version though.

LOL, funny and true at the same time. I wonder if we interpret these posters the same way or not?

My version is where Jesus said: "My yoke is easy, and my burden is light" 'hindered, but not cripled',  as you said.
The Pope says: "whip yourself, then pay up or I'll burn you in hell myself!" .. this kind of burden can push even the strongest on their knees.

It would be funny to have guy 5, 6, 7, with clothes on, and the eighth man naked as you have it, robbed of hope, clothes and money  ;D

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: Stevil on January 25, 2012, 09:20:49 PM
LOL A Christian Atheist!

An Atheist is a person whom lacks a belief in any god.

If you don't classify YHWH as a god then I guess you can believe in YHWH and still be an atheist.

Good on ya!
Welcome! And that I can confirm that theism is the belief in a god and atheism is to not believe in any god whatsoever.  Even if you make up your own god to believe in it still makes you a monotheist.  More than one would be polytheism.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins