News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Going to church...

Started by myleviathan, November 25, 2007, 03:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gibson

The Sunday night "Teen Mass" at my former church had the most excruciatingly lame music.  They had guitars, drums, piano, and sometimes a flute.  Sheesh!  I was used to it because these types of masses have been around for years.  (Ironically, the Catholic Church is beginning to admit the changes brought about by the Second Vatican Council were destructive to the faith...)  Instead of singing ancient songs that are actually beautiful, we were singing lame songs that often require clapping.  I refused, and left early whenever possible.  I don't miss that at all.

Regarding the initial post, I think it's a tough decision.  Have you talked to your wife about the anxiety and your concerns?  My S.O. and I have a similar agreement to disagree, and I have a feeling that the topic is going to come up about going to church on Christmas day.  I'm not looking forward to it.

I hope it works out for the best.
Anyone who can worship a trinity and insist that his religion is a monotheism can believe anything ... just give him time to rationalize it.
-- Robert A Heinlein, from Job: A Comedy of Justice

myleviathan

QuoteRegarding the initial post, I think it's a tough decision. Have you talked to your wife about the anxiety and your concerns? My S.O. and I have a similar agreement to disagree, and I have a feeling that the topic is going to come up about going to church on Christmas day. I'm not looking forward to it.

We haven't talked about it alot because we haven't been to church in a long time. Fortunately for me she's a little anti-social. She gets anxious when people introduce themselves, and depends on me to be friendly, which is the other side of the coin. I would love to introduce myself as an atheist, but that's just not acceptable. Them's fightin' words in most churches.

I told a big, fat, pentecostal lady at my work the other day that I'm an atheist. She's like, sucking down chicken wings with one hand and typing on the computer with the other and she was looking at some charity giving away free Thanksgiving turkeys (which she applied for). I asked if they would give an atheist a free turkey, and she exclaims "NO WAY." So I told her I was an atheist, and she said she felt sorry for me. She asked me why I'm an atheist, and I told her it's because Jesus never calls or writes anymore. She started to get visibly upset, like angry upset. Then she started calling me "Mr. Atheist" instead of my name.

Can you believe that shit?
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

User192021

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"
Quote from: "myleviathan"this new pathetic ‘relevance’ kick in the church, and it’s all about how cool Christians can be.
Oh god, they don't have a "rock" band, or a pastor that plays guitar, do they?  That stuff is hilarious.
The church I used to go to had the worst Christian rock band I have ever seen.  They were all teenagers with one real dorky guy for a conducter/singer.  It was absolutely painful to sit through and probably played a major role in my turning atheism (not really, but seriously, it's enough to convince anybody that there is no god).

Julia

I've lived through several "rock" bands... the worst bit was having their songs go on repeating until they got tired, like there were some sort of spiritual brownie points for the length of the song? Or was the worst bit the way they tried to rock-ify 17th century hymn tunes? Ick.

Steve Reason

I think I would only go if knew I would be confronted. I would relish the chance to shit-kick a religionist's infantile rambling's in a church--if I was in the mood, that is.   :badgrin:
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Mister Joy

I find churches quite unsettling to be in. Even if I was Christian I probably would. We had this annual thing called 'Charter Day' at my school and we all had to go into Bristol cathedral from 9 in the morning until 5 in the afternoon to sing hymns and listen to priests read extracts from the Bible. Place is HUGE:

http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/508/medium/Inside_Bristol_Cathedral_resize.jpg

And if you so much as cough once it echoes throughout the whole thing and everyone turns and looks disapproving. Awful experience. You wouldn't want to confront anyone in there, believe me. You wouldn't want to utter a single sentence, or even shift your seating position lest your chair creak and you gain an angry audience of two and a half thousand frowning faces.

Chris Johnston

Quote from: "rlrose328"I wouldn't go... not because I don't respect my partner, but because I just can't abide by the crap they spew during services.  I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut.  Just imagining the last time I went (for a funeral) and the bile that rose while they were reading the bible... wow, it makes me almost vomit just remembering it.

It's not that I'm intolerant... they can believe what they wish (as long as they don't force it on me).  But I don't have to listen to it.  They won't come think in my house, why should I got and not think in theirs?  

I just can't do it anymore.  Good job on you if you can.

We DO NOT attend church for anyone for any reason any more any any. This became an issue again as we were at the In-Laws' house for Xmas (weekend before) and my sweet mother in law was scheduled to play the piano. They went, the brother in law went, and her aunt went. Later that evening we nearly got thrown out of the house. My father in law, whom I adore and have always respected, threw around phrases like..."come into my house and disrespect me..."

My wife has said she will never go to their house on a Sunday or for Xmas again.

The irony is that chruch is so very important to them unless the Chiefs are playing at home, or they are travelling, or have something better to do...

Legion

Quote from: "myleviathan"I am married to a Christian.
Maybe it's a sign....?

Quote from: "myleviathan"She suggested that maybe we try going to church Sunday now that the Christmas season is here. At first it seemed like a good idea. But the more I think about it, the more anxious I feel.

Does she go to church besides the holidays? Seems like she isn't a strong Christian if she only goes when it's seasonal. Church isn't a place to feel anxious, only love Jesus who gets his Juice all over your face so you will be saved. That's right. get on your knees and start pleasing him.

Quote from: "myleviathan"We used to attend a church together, and I'm thinking that maybe attending this church would be the least of all evils because I'm familiar with it, but then again maybe not. There are people who I don't really want to see. I think if it weren't for those people (including a few of the pastors), I would like to go.

Maybe you should get a switch and flog yourself until you reach enlightment from Jesus, you sinner.

Quote from: "myleviathan"Do you guys think it would be better for a non-theist to attend a church where people knew him or her as a believer or just attend a church that is not familiar at all? Has anyone been in this situation?

An unsaved person in a church has two options: Get with Jesus or GET THE FUCK OUT.

Basically if you haven't invited Jesus into your heart and you don't plan to then you aren't invited in his house. You know what you call someone who goes into someone's house uninvited? They call them burglars! That's right, by using my degree in Creation Science, I can deduce that you are a thief, a child molester or maybe a smoker. Don't worry, God will smoke you because he loves you that much.

Steve Reason

Quote from: "Mister Joy"I find churches quite unsettling to be in. Even if I was Christian I probably would. We had this annual thing called 'Charter Day' at my school and we all had to go into Bristol cathedral from 9 in the morning until 5 in the afternoon to sing hymns and listen to priests read extracts from the Bible. Place is HUGE:

http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/508/medium/Inside_Bristol_Cathedral_resize.jpg

And if you so much as cough once it echoes throughout the whole thing and everyone turns and looks disapproving. Awful experience. You wouldn't want to confront anyone in there, believe me. You wouldn't want to utter a single sentence, or even shift your seating position lest your chair creak and you gain an angry audience of two and a half thousand frowning faces.

Fuck 'em!  :vamp:
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

McQ

Legion, please post an introduction about yourself and why you are here before you start posting other messages. It is unclear what points you are trying to make. Thank you.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Legion

Quote from: "McQ"Legion, please post an introduction about yourself and why you are here before you start posting other messages. It is unclear what points you are trying to make. Thank you.

The point I'm trying to make is that you won't flatter Jesus you will burn in all eternity because that's what a loving God does to people. You sir are going to fry if you don't go to church and pray to Jesus!

tomday

Quote from: "Legion"The point I'm trying to make is that you won't flatter Jesus you will burn in all eternity because that's what a loving God does to people. You sir are going to fry if you don't go to church and pray to Jesus!

So, a 'loving' god will burn people who don't flatter Jesus - if you believe that you must be even more stupid than I first thought you were.  In another post I referred to you as a 'moron' - my apologies for insulting morons!

Big Mac

Quote from: "tomday"
Quote from: "Legion"The point I'm trying to make is that you won't flatter Jesus you will burn in all eternity because that's what a loving God does to people. You sir are going to fry if you don't go to church and pray to Jesus!

So, a 'loving' god will burn people who don't flatter Jesus - if you believe that you must be even more stupid than I first thought you were.  In another post I referred to you as a 'moron' - my apologies for insulting morons!

Don't listen to that guy, he's just a dick! Seriously, he's such a dick he belongs in the Dickhole of the Dickiverse.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?