News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Still in the Closet

Started by roadrunner, January 23, 2012, 10:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

werewolf

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Welcome to the forum! Not all old people have "hope". I have told this story on here before I think, but it's kind of funny so I'll retell it. I was at a horse race betting bar eating a meal when I decide to praise buddha for my meal as a joke.  An old lady at the next table said you are in the wrong place for that! I told her I was sorry that I didn't just blindly believe what all the people around me believe in. She looked away because of my harsh tone then looked back and said that's right because all religion is bullshit and was made to scam people out of money while her husband smiled and nodded.  I was shocked.  I told my friend that I though I was going to get into an argument, but that I decided I loved the old lady and the whole bar.  A room full of old people who hated religion.  Now that gave ME hope.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on May 03, 2012, 11:17:06 PM
Welcome to the forum! Not all old people have "hope". I have told this story on here before I think, but it's kind of funny so I'll retell it. I was at a horse race betting bar eating a meal when I decide to praise buddha for my meal as a joke.  An old lady at the next table said you are in the wrong place for that! I told her I was sorry that I didn't just blindly believe what all the people around me believe in. She looked away because of my harsh tone then looked back and said that's right because all religion is bullshit and was made to scam people out of money while her husband smiled and nodded.  I was shocked.  I told my friend that I though I was going to get into an argument, but that I decided I loved the old lady and the whole bar.  A room full of old people who hated religion.  Now that gave ME hope.

That is an AWESOME story.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 04, 2012, 03:26:51 AM

Yeah that was in Rockford Illinois. I still miss IL and will probably go back eventually.  That is one liberal ass state with a ton of Atheists.  Even the Christains there never go to church.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Tank

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on May 04, 2012, 07:33:40 PM

Yeah that was in Rockford Illinois. I still miss IL and will probably go back eventually.  That is one liberal ass state with a ton of Atheists.  Even the Christains there never go to church.
Rockford!!! I've been there!!! Spent one night in the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. Mind you the bar had a very pretty lady serving who just adored my accent. She chatted with me all evening, somewhat to the annoyance of the local regulars.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Quote from: Tank on May 04, 2012, 08:15:35 PM
Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on May 04, 2012, 07:33:40 PM

Rockford!!! I've been there!!! Spent one night in the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. Mind you the bar had a very pretty lady serving who just adored my accent. She chatted with me all evening, somewhat to the annoyance of the local regulars.
The fact that the hotel had a bar tells me it's the not the worst hotel you could have stayed at.  I've been in some pretty shady hotels.  Yes we Americans love the British accent.  It's the most distinguished English speaking accent.  Germans sound goofy, Russians sound sinister, and people from New Jersey sound mentally handicapped.

Tank

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on May 04, 2012, 08:25:59 PM
The fact that the hotel had a bar tells me it's the not the worst hotel you could have stayed at.  I've been in some pretty shady hotels.  Yes we Americans love the British accent.  It's the most distinguished English speaking accent.  Germans sound goofy, Russians sound sinister, and people from New Jersey sound mentally handicapped.
I'm sure there are worst hotels! The funny thing about my accent was that when people guessed it they guessed Australian. If I 'poshed' it up just a little bit it didn't take long to find some female company who would hang on me every word. I miss America  :(
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Quote from: Tank on May 04, 2012, 08:33:36 PM
I'm sure there are worst hotels! The funny thing about my accent was that when people guessed it they guessed Australian. If I 'poshed' it up just a little bit it didn't take long to find some female company who would hang on me every word. I miss America  :(
Yeah I though I was going to have any girl I wanted when I moved down south because of my Midwest accent.  Little did I know people from all over moved to this broke city and most of them sound like me.  And a lot of the women here have facial hair in abundance  :-\

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on May 04, 2012, 08:33:36 PM

Come to NYC , Tank!!! I'll welcome you here.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

kitty

Quote from: roadrunner on January 24, 2012, 11:42:36 PM
one of the reasons I think Im nervous about it all is that my wife and I built everything around god thinking it was the right thing to do, we bought a house close to church, had kids who we later dedicated to the church and I feel like Im bailing out on the plan...even if it was lame. Its almost like betrayal. but my wife is very smart and if she dared to remove her glasses shed agree. too many tough questions and to make christianity work you have to bend it further and further to make sense of life as we know it with dinosaurs, old earth, star formation, etc. Its like you are building your testimony for denying what the evidence is telling you. I have friends that post daily "Faith is believing wwhen everything is telling you not to." I want to scream so bad. "NO THATS STUPIDITY" we sweep it under the rug to build this lie and keep this thing going.

i know exactly what you mean, but in my situation, replace 'my wife' with 'my mum'. writing that it seems crazy, but we have always had a really close relationship. my husband and i got married in a church, christened our children & most of our friends are through church. its difficult to turn round a say, actually i think this whole god thing is a bit barmy. and all those facebook friends that post things like that...garr. worse still, one of my fb friends is open about his atheism and he posts some great stuff which i'd love to 'like' but my mum will see it and i cant face telling her.
hope this quote works, never done it before and i have a toy waving in my face atm.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

Tank

Quote from: predsk on May 24, 2012, 10:38:08 AM
What's up, I just wanted to say, you're dead wrong. Your blog doesn't make any sense.
Strike one.

I suggest if you wish to remain a member you try to add more value than that.

Stevil

Ahem, us Kiwi's our accents are devine.

But then again, we don't have accents, everyone else does.

OldGit

Quote from: StevilAhem, us Kiwi's our accents are devine

To a deaf, drunken and demented Ookabollawonga witch-doctor, maybe.  But he'd have to be profoundly deaf.

Recusant

Quote from: Tank on May 24, 2012, 10:43:38 AM
Quote from: predsk on May 24, 2012, 10:38:08 AM
What's up, I just wanted to say, you're dead wrong. Your blog doesn't make any sense.
Strike one.

I suggest if you wish to remain a member you try to add more value than that.

This person is a spammer, as can be seen here. (The user name is different, but it's the same e-mail address they used to register here.) I hadn't even seen this post when I banned them; just did my usual check of newly registered members and proceeded as normal. No strike two and three for them.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Recusant on May 24, 2012, 08:04:28 PM
No strike two and three for them.

And here I was hoping to find out where this blog of ours was, all I've found is this forum.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany