News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Tonight I saw a dangerous side of religion...

Started by Amicale, January 22, 2012, 06:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawen

To change Ali's statement above...
QuoteI'd agree that more liberal Biblical scholars would agree that passages need to be read in their historic, sociological contexts...
to:
I'd agree that all Christians should read the entire Bible in its historical, pseudo-historical, non historical, allegorical, metaphysical, mystical, magical and sociological contexts...
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Stevil

Quote from: Gawen on January 24, 2012, 02:32:32 AM
QuoteI'd agree that more liberal Biblical scholars would agree that passages need to be read in their historic, sociological contexts...
to:
I'd agree that all Christians should read the entire Bible in its historical, pseudo-historical, non historical, allegorical, metaphysical, mystical, magical and sociological contexts...
LOL

Amicale

to:

:)

Believe me when I say it's indeed a compliment to be mistaken for Ali.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Gawen

Quote from: Amicale on January 24, 2012, 04:11:42 AM
to:

Damn...sorry...*blushin*
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Amicale

Quote from: Gawen on January 24, 2012, 12:28:42 PM

Damn...sorry...*blushin*

ROFL  ;D it's OK, if anything, Ali should be the one insulted -- I'm probably a LOT more of a nutter than she is. *grin*

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Tank

Quote from: Amicale on January 24, 2012, 02:24:40 PM

Damn...sorry...*blushin*

ROFL  ;D it's OK, if anything, Ali should be the one insulted -- I'm probably a LOT more of a nutter than she is. *grin*
Nutters are fun! At least that's what I keep telling myself  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on January 24, 2012, 02:26:16 PM

Damn...sorry...*blushin*

LOL, that's what I keep telling myself too! Want to join my Nutter of the Month club? We're peanuts this month. Next month, I'm thinkin' pistachios...

Tank

Quote from: Amicale on January 24, 2012, 02:28:01 PM

Damn...sorry...*blushin*

LOL, that's what I keep telling myself too! Want to join my Nutter of the Month club? We're peanuts this month. Next month, I'm thinkin' pistachios...
Salted or dry roasted?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on January 24, 2012, 02:29:25 PM

Damn...sorry...*blushin*

Salted or dry roasted?

Dry Roasted for me! But if you want to be Salted, I think that's only a dollar extra in membership fees. ;)

The Magic Pudding

I briefly considered joining the Nutter of the Month club but they seemed to lack commitment and their standards were sloppy.  I see things haven't improved, tsk tsk, promoting a legume as a monthly representative.  That's something a nutty person would do, not a nutter.  Why reawaken that painful nutter/nutty schism again?

Amicale

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 24, 2012, 11:51:41 PM

I briefly considered joining the Nutter of the Month club but they seemed to lack commitment and their standards were sloppy.  I see things haven't improved, tsk tsk, promoting a legume as a monthly representative.  That's something a nutty person would do, not a nutter.  Why reawaken that painful nutter/nutty schism again?

I'd prefer to see their standards as creamy, or extra crunchy.  ;D