News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Little Kids and Cussing on TV

Started by Sandra Craft, January 18, 2012, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Well then, of we're going to play that game, I hate all of you. :P
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on January 19, 2012, 03:55:19 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 19, 2012, 03:51:53 PM
Even though you're a fucking wanker, I still adore you, Tank. :)

I do believe words have meaning as well, but when a kid is unaware, just sit him/her doen to explain why it isn't a nice word to say. They usually get it.
Yes. Kids quickly learn what is acceptable language in a given situation. Showing bad language on kids TV is not a good idea as it implies that some language is acceptable in all circumstances, which it is not.

To me , I don't watch a lot of t.v . That show is meant to break what american families consider "the norm." Me, personally, I think it's great, aside from the obnoxious stereotypical gay men.
I'm sure every parent has gone thtough the cursing phase, sex talk, beer phase, etc.
I think this show is pretty okay, especially compared to garbage like jersey shore and ANY SHOW on VH1, where girls think Snooki.is a role model. Now, that's disturbing.
My point is: if you dont know what you're kids are watching /doing, then get on it I guess. You cant control them, but you can help them know that tv/media is NOT REALITY. Dont take tv too seriously.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sweetdeath

I hate you the most, budhorse. XD <3

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 19, 2012, 04:08:44 PM
I'm sure every parent has gone thtough the cursing phase, sex talk, beer phase, etc.
No, some kids go through their phases alone. The Asmo, for instance.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

;D ;D ;D ;D

Tank, you're one of my new favorite fucking people.

I agree that words have meaning, but I don't think that's the point of that episode.  The F word doesn't seem to have much real meaning to a 2 year old, other than they know that it's "bad".  But IME, the more you react to it, the more they realize that it's a powerful word, and the more likely they are to use it again.  If you just calmly say "That's not a nice word, we don't use that word", that seems more effective.  Of course, when I said "That's not a nice word, we don't use that word" my son came back with "Daddy does!"  

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on January 19, 2012, 04:11:22 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 19, 2012, 04:08:44 PM
No, some kids go through their phases alone. The Asmo, for instance.
Well, so did I. My parents duvorced when I was 6, and I basically raused myself after 12 due to my mom's alcohoism.
I'm   sorry I didnt word that better ;;
*hugs the Asmo* <3

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 19, 2012, 04:42:52 PM
Well, so did I. My parents duvorced when I was 6, and I basically raused myself after 12 due to my mom's alcohoism.
I'm   sorry I didnt word that better ;;
*hugs the Asmo* <3
It's ok - I was just correting the wording error. Considering the alternatives, going through my phases alone was probably the very best thing for me.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

Quote from: Tank on January 19, 2012, 02:23:13 PM
Quote from: Davin on January 18, 2012, 05:37:53 PM
It's just a word, people really need to grow up.
Words are symbols of meaning, they convey information, emotional intent etc. To say "It's just a word." is to obviate the purpose of the written language. If words held no transmittable meaning "You miserable fucking cunt!" would be no different from "I love you!".
Yes, words have meanings, I'm not nor will I ever dispute that. It seems very silly to me that you would even bring that up. Now the second thing you said demonstrates my point against words just being words. My issue is that people aren't throwing up a hissy fit over the meaning of the word, but the word itself. It's when people make a big stink over the word "shit" but not not "crap", "poop" or "feces". It's not the meaning people have a problem with, but the word, which I find childish, because they're just words.

Now, "you miserable fucking cunt" isn't offense because of the individual words. "You" is hardly offensive. "Miserable" is equally not offensive. "Fucking" is offensive to some, but other things that mean the same thing is not offensive to people, so again, it's the word that they find offensive, not the meaning. And "cunt" is about the same as "fucking" in terms of why people are offended by it and not the meaning. When you add them all in together, "you miserable fucking cunt" then the whole statement is only thing I can see a decent reason for people to take offense, but singling out certain words as offensive is just childish.

In the same way that "I", "love" and "you" are pretty useless on their own, but then put together describe how one feels about another, "you miserable fucking cunt" is useless unless put together to describe how one feels about another person.

In short: it's not the meaning of the words that people find offensive, apparently the only reason people find the words offensive is because people find the words offensive.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sweetdeath

And different people find different things offensive. Can't please everyone.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 19, 2012, 08:55:36 PM
Nor should you try to, methink.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

Quote from: Asmodean on January 19, 2012, 08:56:33 PM
I think people have the right to be offended, but I don't think they have the right to control how I speak.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Asmodean

Quote from: Davin on January 19, 2012, 09:45:42 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on January 19, 2012, 08:56:33 PM
I think people have the right to be offended, but I don't think they have the right to control how I speak.
Oh, they do have a right to be offended. A right never to be offended though... That's another story.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

I agree, Asmo.
My dad got on my case cuz I cursed about something as a little kid got on the elevator. Caught the end of my rant. Too fucking bad.

The Magic Pudding

I remember a Rugrats episode on swearing, good old Rugrats.

Derek and Clive have their way with words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTifRi3qDkU

Sweetdeath

Making me feel old, Puddin. So remember Rugrats.