News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Little Kids and Cussing on TV

Started by Sandra Craft, January 18, 2012, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Toddler's cuss word on Modern Family draws ire

I can understand why some people are touchy about cussing -- I do swear myself sometimes, but not much, and I'll admit it shocks me when I hear it out of kids.  But in this case I think the anti-swearing activists are missing the point and over-reacting.  We all know little kids say what they hear, whether they understand it or not, and it can pop out at awkward times and places, like weddings.

In the case of this show, the cussing doesn't seem gratuitious, but a way of introducing a common problem for parents -- the dreaded learning moment, when you have to explain something essential and rather complex to someone very young without either freaking them out or confusing them even more than they already are. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Davin

It's just a word, people really need to grow up.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Asmodean

"If we don't, at least ABC knows that people all over the world don't want to have a 2-year-old saying the 'F-bomb' on TV."
Yes! People all over the world actually care what comes out of some tiny little brat's mouth...  ::)

Profanity has its uses. For instance, a very long string of curses is called for when you hit your favourite finger with a hammer or when you drop your perfect sandwich good stuff down on the floor.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

I agree that they are over-reacting. I try not to curse too much, but it does happen. And a toddler saying fuck is probably like me rattling off nuclear physics. It sounds cool, but in the end, we both have no clue what we're saying.  :D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Ali

Quote"Our main goal is to stop this from happening," said McKay Hatch, an 18-year-old college student who founded the No Cussing Club in 2007

Not to indulge in an ad hominem attacks, but that guy sounds like he'd be a real hoot at parties.

This guy is totally missing the point, I think.  I agree with BookCats, the point is that kids imitate what they hear, and it is a shocking moment as a parent when your kid drops their first f bomb.  It happens.  It's actually not a huge deal, unless you make it into a huge deal, and mostly it's a good reminder that little pitchers have big ears.  I think Mr. Hatch needs to grow up.  There are times when a well placed expletive is almost a work of art.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on January 18, 2012, 05:41:28 PM
"If we don't, at least ABC knows that people all over the world don't want to have a 2-year-old saying the 'F-bomb' on TV."
Yes! People all over the world actually care what comes out of some tiny little brat's mouth...  ::)

Hey!  She's a very cute tiny little brat, probably a worthy appetizer for the Asmo.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 18, 2012, 06:04:57 PM
Hey!  She's a very cute tiny little brat, probably a worthy appetizer for the Asmo.

Yes. If people are too dissatisfied with the kid's language, The Asmo has the perfect cure. Stuff an apple into its mouth, stick it on a spit and roast until ready. Add a dash of lemon and serve with mashed potatoes and red wine.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Just like Ali mentioned above, kids imitate what they hear, especially at that age. If you hear them.curse, there are very.limited sources where they got it from. Be a responsible parent and not freak out over it. It is not a big deal. I can't believe this is what america  freaks out over on t.v. Shut up, america.

Cursing is not cool, but dressing up four year olds with padded bras amd make up for beauty pagents is totalllly cool. e_e;; i'm looking at you, Texas.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Davin on January 18, 2012, 05:37:53 PM
It's just a word, people really need to grow up.
Words are symbols of meaning, they convey information, emotional intent etc. To say "It's just a word." is to obviate the purpose of the written language. If words held no transmittable meaning "You miserable fucking cunt!" would be no different from "I love you!".
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sweetdeath

Even though you're a fucking wanker, I still adore you, Tank. :)

I do believe words have meaning as well, but when a kid is unaware, just sit him/her doen to explain why it isn't a nice word to say. They usually get it.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 19, 2012, 03:51:53 PM
Even though you're a fucking wanker, I still adore you, Tank. :)

I do believe words have meaning as well, but when a kid is unaware, just sit him/her doen to explain why it isn't a nice word to say. They usually get it.
Yes. Kids quickly learn what is acceptable language in a given situation. Showing bad language on kids TV is not a good idea as it implies that some language is acceptable in all circumstances, which it is not.

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Quote from: Scissorlegs on January 19, 2012, 02:57:47 PM
I love you, Tank.  ;D

Hahaha, nice one.

I don't see any issue with the way the program used swearing, it was attempting to deal with that first moment when a child swears and the parent has to try and sort it out, even though they probably learned that language from their parents. Could make for some good comedic moments. Some people are over touchy about language but I personally like swearing especially when its used creatively like in the TV series 'The Thick of It', 'Nathan Barley' and 'Dead Set'.
Retired member.