News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Struggling Atheists deail replay to; Why God?

Started by Liar For Jesus, January 17, 2012, 04:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 19, 2012, 12:40:10 AM
Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 18, 2012, 11:01:54 PM
Quote from: Whitney on January 18, 2012, 10:41:24 PM
SA, when wiki gets out of protest mode go read here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."  Treaty of Tripoli 1797 drafted during Washington's presidency then signed by John Adams during his presidency

oh and you might want to check out the wiki entries on when "god" was added to the pledge and US currency ;)

Tripoli is often cited by the Critics, and in this following Link it fully elaborates on the common misconception they have,  vis-a-vis George Washingtons statement and intent :  http://www.wallbuilders.com/libissuesarticles.asp?id=125

Even if George Washington was a christian, which by todays american standards he most likely wasn't, the official Treaty of Tripoli still states that the United States of America is not a christian nation. And this passed the US Senate unanimously. That not one senator found fault with the wording of the document is very telling.

In this it is inconsequential what any one individual (Washington) might think.
The odd thing about those justifications around the Treaty of Tripoli are the implications that the founding fathers were not only Christians, but liars. So some people are so hell bent on changing history to support that the US was founded on the Christian religion, that they're making the founding fathers out to be people that would lie under oath, on paper and just to make sure another country is more comfortable in dealings with the US. Anyway, the only time the US Constitution mentions god is when it says no one will tested on their belief in a god, and the Treaty of Tripoli clearly states that the country was not founded on the Christian religion... just so many things that go against the "founded on Christianity" narrative, that it's still to even propose it.

And the pledge, national motto and money thing is repeated so much that I very much support McQ in his sentiment that unless you know what you're talking about, don't state things in absolutes. Because this bullshit gets repeated so much that people think it's fact... until you show them the facts, then most will accept reality over the lies. [/rant]
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ecurb Noselrub

The Constitution is the supreme law of the land in the US. That means that it is the "foundation," or that upon which the nation is founded. Since it does not specifically even mention Christianity, and since it forbids religious establishment and allows freedom of worship, there can be no argument that the nation was "founded" as a Christian nation. The majority of it's citizens have always been and continue to be Christian, but the nature of the government itself is clearly secular.