News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Atheism and IQ

Started by Twentythree, January 13, 2012, 05:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

I chose the Billy Graham answer only cuz two bad guys in Gundam 00 are named Billy and Graham. <~~ nerd
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

MinnesotaMike

Quote from: Twentythree on January 13, 2012, 05:25:10 PM
stumbled upon this while looking for related articles.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/0105/Are-you-smarter-than-an-atheist-A-religious-quiz/When-does-the-Jewish-Sabbath-begin

only missed 5 questions...if you take it post your scores.

28/32

Didn't know Catholics were going for cannibalism (thought the bread and wine were only metaphors), thought the Dalai Lama was Hindu, said the Pakistani were predominantly Christian against my better judgement, and wasn't sure which definition of "book" they were using for the first book of the Christian bible. I just had my Catholic lady friend take it too, and she scored 20/32
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

xSilverPhinx

The only one I got wrong was the one about which religious groups traditionally teach that salvation comes through faith alone. I put both Catholics and Protestants.

I guessed one or two, though.

I think that getting a score above 30 means one is overly obsessive about religious mythologies.  :-\
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

I thought the bread and wine was a metaphor too! I mean, seriously wtf x_x

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 16, 2012, 05:21:32 AM

I know...who would believe that it actually transforms into flesh and blood...and who would want to eat it?

Some things are just plain weird.

MinnesotaMike

Today I learned there's a potential market for AB+ Shiraz.
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

Magdalena

Quote from: Twentythree on January 13, 2012, 05:25:10 PM
stumbled upon this while looking for related articles.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/0105/Are-you-smarter-than-an-atheist-A-religious-quiz/When-does-the-Jewish-Sabbath-begin

only missed 5 questions...if you take it post your scores.

I missed 8  :'( . Not bad compared to the Catholics.  :)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Asmodean

The Asmo didn't take the test. He refuses to be compared to a christian fundie.  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

I got 32 but I took a wild guess at the awakening question and got it right. I think the questionnaire itself is the reason that atheist, agnostics, Jews and Mormons got more questions correct, many are directed towards the OT and specialized questions that would allow Jewish or Mormons to score higher especially if the results were taken from an American sample.
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on January 16, 2012, 07:26:31 AM
The Asmo didn't take the test. He refuses to be compared to a christian fundie.  >:(

Stop being so cool!  XP

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 16, 2012, 03:57:28 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on January 16, 2012, 07:26:31 AM

Stop being so cool!  XP

Right, it makes the rest of us look bad!

Ali

Quote from: Crow on January 16, 2012, 02:42:27 PM
I got 32 but I took a wild guess at the awakening question and got it right. I think the questionnaire itself is the reason that atheist, agnostics, Jews and Mormons got more questions correct, many are directed towards the OT and specialized questions that would allow Jewish or Mormons to score higher especially if the results were taken from an American sample.

Really?  I didn't count up the questions, but I got the opposite impression.  I thought that there were more questions about Christianity than any other religion.  And that still doesn't explain why atheists get the best scores - in theory, if we are assuming that people won't know about religions other than their own, wouldn't we do the worst?  I think we just pay better attention.  :)

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 16, 2012, 05:21:32 AM

man takes eucharist hostage

I knew the right answer to that question only because I'd read this article.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ali

That's a lot of angst over a bit of cracker.