News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

How do you handle being the only atheist in a group of Christian friends?

Started by corgilover, January 10, 2012, 08:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder Road

I'm in a similar situation as the op, rural midwestern university with Xtian friends and an honors college called "Christ College"   :-\

I just silently when they talk about their youth groups and going to chapel and whatnot, and they don't usually ask me anything or try to convert me.  Tough situation though, because you want your rights and you want to keep your friends.  I had one friend tell me on facebook that I should really just keep my opinions to myself, but I just ignored it because I'm not out to make enemies.

Hopefully some day general acceptance will come, at least it's more likely to happen in our generation than someone older's.
"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see." -John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever

Freshman Meteorology major at Valparaiso University in Indiana and fan of exclusively classic rock.

Too Few Lions

thankfully here in the UK, overt Christians are a rare breed. I don't have a single Christian friend, and I have plenty of friends. My girlfriend's parents are quite religious though (thankfully she's not) and the first time I ever met them her dad cornered me and asked me if I believed in 'God'. I replied 'No' and told him that so long as one tried to live a good life and tried not to harm others then I don't think it matters if one believes in a god or not. I think once you give someone that answer they just look like a complete tool if they still try to insist that you should believe in their god.

Tank

Quote from: Too Few Lions on January 13, 2012, 05:08:16 PM
thankfully here in the UK, overt Christians are a rare breed. I don't have a single Christian friend, and I have plenty of friends. My girlfriend's parents are quite religious though (thankfully she's not) and the first time I ever met them her dad cornered me and asked me if I believed in 'God'. I replied 'No' and told him that so long as one tried to live a good life and tried not to harm others then I don't think it matters if one believes in a god or not. I think once you give someone that answer they just look like a complete tool if they still try to insist that you should believe in their god.
Tease! What was his reaction?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Tank on January 13, 2012, 05:10:04 PM
to be fair to him, he's a really nice guy, and he's been fine with me and never brought up the subject of religion or god again. I think my girlfriend was worried I might verbally lay into him and start tearing his beliefs apart, but I kind of figure your girlfriend's parents are people you should be polite to, and humour their eccentricities  ;)

Tank

Quote from: Too Few Lions on January 13, 2012, 05:44:59 PM
to be fair to him, he's a really nice guy, and he's been fine with me and never brought up the subject of religion or god again. I think my girlfriend was worried I might verbally lay into him and start tearing his beliefs apart, but I kind of figure your girlfriend's parents are people you should be polite to, and humour their eccentricities  ;)
I agree, I think you did exactly the right thing.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Too Few Lions on January 13, 2012, 05:44:59 PM

You have more patience than I. My gf's mom is christian, but luckily has never brought up any religious stuff with me.
Once we did say grace at the table. I just stared at my gf and sang the chocobo song in my head.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

MariaEvri

Quotee: How do you handle

It is a nightmare for me. Everyone around me in work believes in God, in the evil eye, i the zodiac and ... witches
yes
I have to hear them talk about those subjects everyday and I wish I could say I find it funny but I dont
I find it extremely annoying, but I manage to keep silent
I stay away from their chats, and I think they know enough to eave me out of it but oh heavenly spaghetti the bull crap I keep hearing!!
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

fester30

The friends my wife and I have don't talk about religion.  It just doesn't come up.  We also blend in pretty well I guess.  We celebrate Christmas, and even hosted a Christmas party.  You just won't find a nativity scene at our house.  Somehow it always comes up once, so they all know I am a non-believer, but they're okay with that and not intent to convert.  I've been pleasantly surprised.  The biggest problems we've had with Christians have been the new neighbors.  They came to our house to invite us to Thursday night Bible study at their house.  I politely declined, letting them know I don't attend church or believe in gods.  Now they are careful to keep their children away from our house and won't talk to me outside when I say hi while doing yard work.  That only amuses me, however.  They made one comment when they saw my Christmas lights.  To save space and money on lights I spelled "Merry Xmas."  The man made a comment that it's a shame when people don't keep Christ in Christmas.  I pointed at his house and said, "All your passionate beliefs... where the fuck are YOUR decorations?"  He didn't do one bit of decorating, and he was picking on my decorations!  What a spaz. 

Where was I?  Oh yeah... I don't have problems with Christian friends.  We all get along pretty well.