News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Hello. Looks like a good forum

Started by Liar For Jesus, January 07, 2012, 02:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liar For Jesus

I chose the ADDY i did because i think it best describes where im at right now in life.   When I went thru high school and some college, I accepted what was being taught regarding a materialistic universe all from natural causes...but as of late, i have been watching TV , reading books, and going online   and am discovering how incredibly wired everything seems to be with the DNA molecule , for instance.  Ive explored other sciences and the animal kingdom and am finding out the same. So its all making me question whether its rational to conclude its all done by total natural causes without any intelligence (which would indicate the input of the Personal) .    So in a nutshell,  thats why im here .  Thanks.

xSilverPhinx

I thought I'd welcome you in the proper thread.

The way I see it, it depends on how you perceive the order in the universe. When you say it's "intelligent", what exactly do you mean by that?

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

I've just read your first six posts and I'm less than impressed. You are behaving like a 'sympathy troll'. If you carry on like this you'll find your arse banned. Understand?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

Welcome to HAF.

Quote from: Tank on January 07, 2012, 03:52:18 PM
I've just read your first six posts and I'm less than impressed. You are behaving like a 'sympathy troll'. If you carry on like this you'll find your arse banned. Understand?

You may need to spell it out for him because I'm not sure I know what that means :)

Tank

Quote from: Whitney on January 07, 2012, 04:19:07 PM
Welcome to HAF.

Quote from: Tank on January 07, 2012, 03:52:18 PM

You may need to spell it out for him because I'm not sure I know what that means :)

A sympathy troll is a person who has an agenda of change. They realise that being adversarial is counter productive (a lesson Egor could learn). Thus they put on a 'cloak' of apparent sympathy to the group they wish to infiltrate and then attempt to spread doubt. Seen it before and so far Struggling Atheist ticks all the boxes ten time over. 
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Traveler

Hello and welcome aboard. And, no, I don't think there was any intelligence behind it at all. I hope Tank is wrong about you, but looking at your posts, I fear he is not.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Recusant

Hello, Struggling Atheist. Since I also detect a sort of musty "wafting out from under a bridge" aroma, I tend to agree with Tank's (provisional?) diagnosis.

Quote from: Tank on January 07, 2012, 04:24:29 PMA sympathy troll is a person who has an agenda of change.

A.K.A. Concern Troll.

Still, here's

QuoteNotes for new members from Tank.

The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

In addition, you may find the following of interest: "Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on January 07, 2012, 04:43:30 PM
Hello, Struggling Atheist. Since I also detect a sort of musty "wafting out from under a bridge" aroma, I tend to agree with Tank's (provisional?) diagnosis.

Quote from: Tank on January 07, 2012, 04:24:29 PMA sympathy troll is a person who has an agenda of change.

A.K.A. Concern Troll.

That's a good description.

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: Traveler on January 07, 2012, 04:33:47 PM
Hello and welcome aboard. And, no, I don't think there was any intelligence behind it at all. I hope Tank is wrong about you, but looking at your posts, I fear he is not.

Ive never the heard the term 'sympathy troll' before , but thanks for explaining it.    I can see where you might think that, but  Im here specifically for the following reasons :

I want to chat with other people who are questioning their atheist upbringing too  .  I want to go where the scientific evidence is leading  .  I want to understand better this weak vs. strong atheism concept which one of the Posters brought up and if one can still remain an atheist  should it be proven in the future that intelligence is a part of our cosmos .   Right now I have an open mind  toward all of this  and like so many others, im trying to sort it all out by asking confrontive questions to  Theists and Atheists alike.

Tank

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 07, 2012, 05:03:18 PM

Ive never the heard the term 'sympathy troll' before , but thanks for explaining it.    I can see where you might think that, but  Im here specifically for the following reasons :

I want to chat with other people who are questioning their atheist upbringing too  .  I want to go where the scientific evidence is leading  .  I want to understand better this weak vs. strong atheism concept which one of the Posters brought up and if one can still remain an atheist  should it be proven in the future that intelligence is a part of our cosmos .   Right now I have an open mind  toward all of this  and like so many others, im trying to sort it all out by asking confrontive questions to  Theists and Atheists alike.

I don't believe you. But first impressions can be wrong, so we'll see. And you won't find any members here who are questioning their atheist upbringing here. You will be the first. So far all you have written is classic creationist rubbish and 'wedge' related rhetoric.

If you want to understand weak vs strong atheism you could find reading The God Delusion a useful book.

English is not your first language is it? A little bit about your cultural background would be interesting to read.

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: Tank on January 07, 2012, 05:15:03 PM

I don't believe you. But first impressions can be wrong, so we'll see. And you won't find any members here who are questioning their atheist upbringing here. You will be the first. So far all you have written is classic creationist rubbish and 'wedge' related rhetoric.

If you want to understand weak vs strong atheism you could find reading The God Delusion a useful book.

English is not your first language is it? A little bit about your cultural background would be interesting to read.

I live in a small town in the South so im inundated  with Creationist propaganda , and i do have a couple other science nerdy Friends who slant toward Intelligent Design ... so Im  in  somewhat of a biased geographical area of the U.S.     I speak english but im not the most sophisticated light on the tree  , but thats ok, ive been offended worse before.   

Tank

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 07, 2012, 05:28:55 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 07, 2012, 05:15:03 PM

I live in a small town in the South so im inundated  with Creationist propaganda , and i do have a couple other science nerdy Friends who slant toward Intelligent Design ... so Im  in  somewhat of a biased geographical area of the U.S.     I speak english but im not the most sophisticated light on the tree  , but thats ok, ive been offended worse before.   

Ooops! I'll just sit here with my foot in my mouth for a while. Appologies.

Tank

Actually I don't think you said how old you are? Do you mind saying?

xSilverPhinx

You know if you're a theist, that really isn't a problem with us, there are a couple of regular posters here who do generally well despite having very different beliefs about the whole religious issue.

Would you mind saying why you feel that IDers might be right?

But yeah, maybe it would be best to describe a bit of your background so we can better know where you're coming from and whether or not you're a troll, intentional or not. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey