News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

I haven't been idle, let's look at sex in the Bible

Started by Gawen, January 04, 2012, 03:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: Stevil on January 07, 2012, 03:13:29 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 07, 2012, 03:04:05 AM
You can have a truth within a fiction, Indiana Jones wears a hat, Doctor Jekyll wears a top hat, so does the cat in a hat. 
Indiana is the fictional dog's name. The dog doesn't exist and the fictional dog character does not wear a hat.
Doctor Jekyll doesn't exist and neither does cat in a hat.
There are drawings of cat in a hat in a hat but the hat is a drawing, it isn't actually a hat, just a two dimensional rendition of a hat.
The only truth is that there was an author who created the fictional characters and whom decided they should be characterised as being hat wearers, all except for Indiana whom is a dog that does not wear hats.

We named the dog Indiana! 

Do you think you can find any kind of truth in fiction?  Like, maybe the characters being written about are fictional, but they still teach something about the human experience?  Sorry to interject in your debate with AD, but you always have such interesting points.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 07, 2012, 04:19:53 AM
You try so very hard to try to make people understood a series of stories that aren't real.

Only those with apparently some interest in the piece of fiction...

Stevil

Quote from: Ali on January 07, 2012, 03:06:46 PM
Do you think you can find any kind of truth in fiction?  Like, maybe the characters being written about are fictional, but they still teach something about the human experience?  Sorry to interject in your debate with AD, but you always have such interesting points.
The author or artist (of books, songs, movies) often tries to convey a message or hit on a human emotion.
They tend to leave it open to interpretation because they want the message to be personal to a person, they don't convey answers or preach, just set up scenarios or things for people to think about. It is never the truth, just something that the author wants to convey or invoke in the consumer.
It is good to bear in mind that the author is simple another person with their own opinions, they don't know the truth more than you do, everyone walks a different path and hence has different opinions.

Gawen

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

znk666

There are people who want to make men's lives more difficult for no other reason than the chance it provides them afterwards to offer their prescription for alleviating life; their Christianity, for instance.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

54Quix45

QuoteJacob, Two Sisters And The Maid
In Genesis 29: 21-28, Jacob takes a job where he is paid entirely in...woman. His boss promised his daughter Rachel in exchange for seven years of work. After the seven years, the boss pulls the old switcheroo and gives Jacob his daughter Leah (apparently not as good looking as Rachel). Unless Leah and Rachel were identical twin sisters, there should be very little reason why Jacob wouldn't realize fairly early in the process that he had the wrong sister. Then again, perhaps they were serving some of Lot's date-rape wine at the party.

Because of a feud between Jacob and his brother, in which one was gonna end up killing the other, his mother sent him away to live with his uncle(Boss). He was attracted to one of his first cousins so he asked his uncle if he could marry her. His uncle told him that he had to work for him for 7 years first. So basically, in the end, Jacob married both of his first cousins. Does anyone else see anything wrong with that? I pointed that out to some religious people and they didn't really pay it any mind.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: 54Quix45 on February 22, 2012, 05:07:57 AM
So basically, in the end, Jacob married both of his first cousins. Does anyone else see anything wrong with that? I pointed that out to some religious people and they didn't really pay it any mind.

Which part, the polygyny or the marrying cousins?  Polygyny was commonplace in biblical times, and well after for that matter.  Cousins marrying was even more commonplace, and for a longer period of time.  I can remember as a kid it not being considered odd in some places (such as the South) if 1st cousins married, and I'm not sure it's actually illegal now.  Besides, the bible has uncles marrying nieces, so cousins marrying isn't that hair-raising.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany