News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Shark Hybrids found by Australia

Started by Squid, January 04, 2012, 03:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

QuoteScientists said on Tuesday that they had discovered the world's first hybrid sharks in Australian waters, a potential sign the predators were adapting to cope with climate change.

The mating of the local Australian black-tip shark with its global counterpart, the common black-tip, was an unprecedented discovery with implications for the entire shark world, said lead researcher Jess Morgan.

"It's very surprising because no one's ever seen shark hybrids before, this is not a common occurrence by any stretch of the imagination," Morgan, from the University of Queensland, told AFP.

"This is evolution in action."

Source - http://news.yahoo.com/world-first-hybrid-shark-found-off-australia-070347608.html

The Magic Pudding

McQ

Call me when they get Frickin' Laser Beams on their heads.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Crow

Oh no Dr. Octagon has escaped to Australia, next up Half shark-alligator half man.
Retired member.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: McQ on January 04, 2012, 04:35:02 AM
Call me when they get Frickin' Laser Beams on their heads.

hahaha, you beat me to it!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

KingPhilip

This makes me curious as to just how far apart species can be and still interbreed. I know these were two subsets of basically the same species, but I would honestly love to see something a bit more out there happen.
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~ Krishnamurti

Davin

Quote from: KingPhilip on January 04, 2012, 03:31:53 PM
This makes me curious as to just how far apart species can be and still interbreed. I know these were two subsets of basically the same species, but I would honestly love to see something a bit more out there happen.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

KingPhilip

I'm going to have nightmares about that thing now.
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~ Krishnamurti