Did you choose to be an atheist because you wanted to escape morality?

Started by Thunder Road, December 28, 2011, 09:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 03, 2012, 05:24:34 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 03, 2012, 05:20:09 PM
Like I said, in a lot situations there is more than one correct answer. 

I have to tell you, I enjoyed your story not so much for the moral involved but because returning the dollar was exactly what my Dad would have done.  It took me back.

Dear Odin,
Once my dad bought icecream and thought he was undercharged by 25¢!!! I am serious. He made us walk back in the freezing cold 4 blocks to return it. And the guy said "no, its ok, the charge was right."
I wanted to punch my dad in the face. Fucking hell.
When it is SUCH A SMALL AMMOUNT, JUST LEAVE IT BE.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 03, 2012, 07:57:31 PM
When it is SUCH A SMALL AMMOUNT, JUST LEAVE IT BE.

I think that's called Salami Slicing.

Stupid parents. They should all be punched...

Sweetdeath

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ransom

Quote from: Thunder Road on December 28, 2011, 09:30:47 PM
I'm curious to see where people actually fall on this accusation that I've heard from religious people that atheist are atheist so that they can escape morality and be hedonists, etc...

No offense, but that's kind of a stupid question. I have only ever met 2 atheists who would actually come out and say: "Oh yes, I became an Atheist because I wanted to do what ever i wanted." I mean seriously, it's hard to maintain "smartest religion in the world" with that admittance hanging over your head.
The law of the jungle says
You look after yourself
But I remember this much
I love as I've been loved myself.

Recusant

Quote from: Ransom on January 07, 2012, 12:38:36 AMNo offense, but that's kind of a stupid question. I have only ever met 2 atheists who would actually come out and say: "Oh yes, I became an Atheist because I wanted to do what ever i wanted."

I suppose that you have never heard what is a relatively common canard, which was clearly stated by the OP as the reason for the poll. You might have made your reply more relevant, though. You say that 2 atheists you've met said that they became atheist because they felt that it allowed them to "do what ever [they] wanted." Could you give an estimate of how many atheists you've met? By doing so, you would add at least an anecdotal data point regarding the percentage of atheists who are motivated exclusively by a perceived freedom from YHVH's all-seeing eyes, or whatever.

Quote from: Ransom on January 07, 2012, 12:38:36 AMI mean seriously, it's hard to maintain "smartest religion in the world" with that admittance hanging over your head.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

pytheas

wtf?

people are moral Before they can reason! Escape from morality is called psychopathy, a medical condition.

No one wants to be ill, and get this, people who Are psychopaths, are usually RELIGIOUS.

Sanity means moral, social, reactive, responsive and critical

If you trust in God, you're Untrustworthy because trust is a human privilige and not a subhuman rant
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: Thunder Road on December 28, 2011, 09:30:47 PM
I'm curious to see where people actually fall on this accusation that I've heard from religious people that atheists are atheist so that they can escape morality and be hedonists, etc...

Do you see what you stated above as a possibility ?  It seems in our post modern era that western culture encourages  the mindset of moral relativism  which would seem to me  a springboard into  a very permissible lifestyle  without any/many rules .   Of course , this can apply to virtually any people group as our culture has a big influence on people of all persuasions.  

I did have a staunch atheist tell me recently that his atheism wasnt based on science , and i havent been able to find out what his atheism IS based on .

Sweetdeath

Oh yay, it's our best pal, SA!!

Well, people become atheists for many different reasons. We are technically born without religion, butbit is enforced on us by our parents or whomever.
I was never religious, but realised I was definitely an atheist at 14 when I first heard the term. Something aweful also happened to me that year that confirmed (for me) there is no god. So yeah...

Davin

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 20, 2012, 04:34:50 PMI did have a staunch atheist tell me recently that his atheism wasnt based on science , and i havent been able to find out what his atheism IS based on .
My atheism isn't based on science. My atheism isn't based on anything. My atheism is the result of there being no reasonable evidence in a god or gods. Just like my lack of belief in star shitting penguins, subatomic robots or Fred Astaire's clone.

Also: is that you Ex Atheist?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Asmodean

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 20, 2012, 04:34:50 PM
I did have a staunch atheist tell me recently that his atheism wasnt based on science , and i havent been able to find out what his atheism IS based on .
Why would you even try? If he's unwilling to tell you, then perhaps it's none of your concern?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 20, 2012, 04:42:12 PM

Well, people become atheists for many different reasons. We are technically born without religion, butbit is enforced on us by our parents or whomever.
I was never religious, but realised I was definitely an atheist at 14 when I first heard the term. Something aweful also happened to me that year that confirmed (for me) there is no god. So yeah...

I hope its ok with you that I struggle with some of things associated with atheism . Im sure that i am hardly alone.

I never asserted that people become atheist for one reason , and agree there must be several reasons why they do.   And as you pointed out,  it could be due to personal struggle within ones life  .  Ive had a few of those and i find almost everyone has  . 

I think its reasonable to assert that everyone is born without a religion (for obvious reasons) , but  as one goes thru their very formulate years of adolscence  , they become influenced by the public school system .  I wonder if it is this indoctrination into an atheistic worldview that many people find philosophically appealing to lifestyle freedoms (?)    Not all, but maybe a good many (?)   

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: Asmodean on January 20, 2012, 04:48:04 PM
Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 20, 2012, 04:34:50 PM
Why would you even try? If he's unwilling to tell you, then perhaps it's none of your concern?

It was this person who offered up the statement that it wasnt science which was the catalyst behind him being an atheist and it begged the question 'Then what was it?'  .   Not everything has to be 'a concern to us'  when we are speaking to another ... but can be simple conversing or curiousity.

Ali

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 20, 2012, 05:02:32 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 20, 2012, 04:42:12 PM

I hope its ok with you that I struggle with some of things associated with atheism . Im sure that i am hardly alone.

I never asserted that people become atheist for one reason , and agree there must be several reasons why they do.   And as you pointed out,  it could be due to personal struggle within ones life  .  Ive had a few of those and i find almost everyone has  . 

I think its reasonable to assert that everyone is born without a religion (for obvious reasons) , but  as one goes thru their very formulate years of adolscence  , they become influenced by the public school system .  I wonder if it is this indoctrination into an atheistic worldview that many people find philosophically appealing to lifestyle freedoms (?)    Not all, but maybe a good many (?)   

What exactly do you struggle with in regards to atheism?  Of course it's fine to have peoplefrom all walks of life, but I would be interested to know exactly what your issues are.  Maybe my thinking is too black and white, but I'm kind of at the point where either you believe or you don't, you know?

Davin

Is that you Ex Atheist?

The reason I keep asking is because you have the same difficulties with punctuation, grammar, sentence structures and word choices as some other person I've discussed things with, who's username is Ex Atheist. Here's a sample so that you and others can compare them too:

Quote from: Ex AtheistWhich makes rational sense to you ? Nothing did it, because you dont want a personal Agent to exist who would then own the cosmos as well as you since youre in it as well ???? How did Nothing produce non material things such as Mind, Consciousness, Personality, abstract thinking, love, and many others ? No wonder the Bible declares it is a Fool who says there is no God. NOW is the time for you to change ---- dont wait a minute longer , for, you could be gone by tomorrow in an accident and have tremendous regret. Stop pretending God isnt real, trust in him , give your life to Christ and have all your accumulated sins totally erased . Then you can be set free and have joy knowing where you are going for sure.

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 20, 2012, 04:34:50 PMDo you see what you stated above as a possibility ?  It seems in our post modern era that western culture encourages  the mindset of moral relativism  which would seem to me  a springboard into  a very permissible lifestyle  without any/many rules .   Of course , this can apply to virtually any people group as our culture has a big influence on people of all persuasions. 

Another reason I keep asking, is because this Ex Atheist person has demonstrated troll behavior, shown to be extremely dishonest and has been a waste of time to talk to. So if you are the same person, then I'd rather just not bother.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.