News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Assuming, what will you miss when you die that isn't a person?

Started by Gawen, December 24, 2011, 07:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawen

Or a pet.

I'm going to miss

The smell when you first open up a can of coffee.

Music

The woods

The sound of nothing after a good snowfall.

The sights and smells of autumn.

New discoveries.

Bacon (the meat, not Kevin)

...and these are a few of my favourite things...

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Traveler

I won't miss anything because I'll be dead. I'll just be ashes drifting out over the Grand Canyon or wherever else my brother chooses to scatter them.

What would I miss if I were in a semi-conscious state, stuck in a hospital, nearly dead but still breathing enough to have a mind? Clouds, the smell after a rain, sunshine on my face, ferns, flowers of all kinds, traveling, learning new things, creating something beautiful, finding a gorgeous piece of artwork by someone else, reading a good book, the sound of the ocean, sticking my toes in a stream, and much, much more.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Asmodean

Dead is dead, however, if I somehow found myself in the intergalactic space with nothing but a blindfold, rad and negative pressure shield and an unlimited supply of air and nutrition, I would miss a few things...

Computer games, the smell of gasoline and asphalt, my Wheel of Time audiobook collection and cigarettes would be some examples.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

I'll play along.  The first thing that comes to my mind is the way the air smells after a heavy rainstorm, I'd miss that.  And the comfort of getting into bed after a long day.  Weirdly enough, I think it would take me awhile in this hypothetically aware state to get around to missing reading -- it would be all the little, sensual things I'd miss first.  Oh, and eventually I'd miss Kevin Bacon.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ecurb Noselrub

Wine & cognac.

Sex.

Music, playing guitar, mandolin.

Walking in the outdoors.

Siz

Water - seeing it, smelling it, listening to it, swimming on, in and through it.

The sun on my face.

The warmth of my children in my bed on a cold weekend morning.

Cheese and Liquorice (not together)

The female form in general and Vanessa Paradis in particular.

Cycling in deserted hills on a cold morning.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

OldGit

squidfetish

Quote from: Traveler on December 24, 2011, 07:15:03 PM
I won't miss anything because I'll be dead.

^^^ This was my first thought.

However, if I was in a position to miss things:

The adrenaline rush when catching a big clean wave on the north coast of Cornwall and riding it all the way in.
Getting mashed and jamming with my guitarist and drummer mates (I'm a bassist)
Real ale
Thai green curry
live bands
reptilian overlord

hismikeness

No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

I regret missing seeing how things turn out, will we build on Mars or around distant stars?
I could console myself with the thought everything will go to shit and I'm better off out of here.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 25, 2011, 02:04:45 AM
I regret missing seeing how things turn out, will we build on Mars or around distant stars?
I could console myself with the thought everything will go to shit and I'm better off out of here.
Hats. You forgot to mention hats. And babies. A baby is not a person if it's for food, so you can mention those.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Asmodean on December 25, 2011, 02:06:56 AM
Hats. You forgot to mention hats.

Are you suggesting there will be no hats in the unlife?
I've got plenty of hats puts away in my tomb.
I've filled a few spare canopic jars with hats as well, I'm hoping that will keep the dust off them.

Gawen

Quote from: Asmodeanthe smell of gasoline and asphalt,
burnt Avgas for me...but asphalt? Asphalt? Really?
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.

Gawen

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 24, 2011, 07:58:32 PM
And the comfort of getting into bed after a long day.  Weirdly enough, I think it would take me awhile in this hypothetically aware state to get around to missing reading -- it would be all the little, sensual things I'd miss first.  Oh, and eventually I'd miss Kevin Bacon.

*laffin*

Getting into bed...yeah...good one. And reading too.