News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Prefer to hire 3A?

Started by Pharaoh Cat, December 20, 2011, 11:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on December 21, 2011, 09:41:23 AM
I want to press a little harder and see if I hit the sweet spot.  Hey, you know me.  Turgidly erotic.  ;)

Are there any jobs for which a willingness to believe because it feels good could actually be dangerous to self or others?  Cop?  Soldier?  Secret agent?  Diplomat?  Food inspector?  Drug inspector?  Water quality inspector?  Skyscraper window washer?  Limo driver?  Taxi driver?  Bus driver?  Chef?  Air Traffic Controller?  President of the United States?

Well, it'd be unlikely that I'd hire a born-again to work at an abortion clinic or to counsel bullied gay teens.
Similarly, they wouldn't want to hire me to work at a creationist museum.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Traveler

If all else is truly equal, we can flip a coin, or we can choose based on who's going to fit into our team more easily, yes? If someone is so fundamentalist that it comes up in an interview, I'd say it would be a deal breaker for me. If someone is a believer, but not a fundamentalist, then I probably wouldn't care either way. As long as religion is kept out of the workplace, in other words. Where I used to work (large software engineering group) religion was one of many no-nos in terms of getting fired or hired, but also in terms of the workplace. If someone had tried to have a prayer before a meeting, for instance, they'd have caught flak, and rightly so.

On the other side of the fence, I have a cousin who's dating a fundamentalist christian. He owns his own real estate business and they are all christian. He has the little christian fish on his business door, and it's a part of the work culture there. Perhaps small, independently owned business have different rules, but I could no more work for him than I could marry him.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Guardian85

I think in my line of work I would prefer to work with a 3A. Simply because I do work that might be dangerous, and I don't want to risk working with someone who thinks god will stop the knife. Figuratively speaking.

As for jobs where I would not want a fundie? Healthcare professional, teacher, councellor, school inspector, museum curator/guide, politician... And my personal assistant, of course.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-