News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

near death experiences

Started by Light, December 23, 2011, 11:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Quote from: Light on December 25, 2011, 12:33:24 AM
I don't think you should consider it if you don't want, just assumed some people might engage in the discussion.

The thing is, Tank said I'm acting 'trollish' .  Suggesting, that the reason I'm posting here is to purposely just annoy people.   Well, I can't help it if some people get annoyed sometimes during a debate, that's just the nature of things, but that's not my main intention.

So, if it's annoying, then don't engage in debate with me.  Fine. Thought I'd offer a few of my insights, and hopefully get some in exchange.

That doesn't seem to be working out so well though so I'll find a different path.

Tank is not the only one who finds your posting style trollish....other members have raised concern

Perhaps if you were not so out there on every topic it wouldn't send up red flags

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 11:38:04 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 24, 2011, 11:27:45 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on December 24, 2011, 10:28:58 PM
Quote from: OldGit on December 24, 2011, 10:20:14 PM
Cogito ergo vivo.
I think, therefor I'm a Volvo?  :P

XD tee hee

I agree none the less.  What proof do I have? I can feel, touch, sing, laugh. More than your fairy king can do.

Oh, I see.  So feeling is proof of something to you.  Yet, if a person feels a divine presence, well, that just couldn't be proof at all....

I've never in my entire life felt a divine presence. I feel that is some dellusion religious people make up to feel important or self righteous.
Once again, I am here, able to help others, donate , cook food, hold a door open for a person with a cart. Real life things a "god" doesn't do. I don't know what more proof I need.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Light on December 25, 2011, 12:33:24 AM
I don't think you should consider it if you don't want, just assumed some people might engage in the discussion.

The thing is, Tank said I'm acting 'trollish' .  Suggesting, that the reason I'm posting here is to purposely just annoy people.   Well, I can't help it if some people get annoyed sometimes during a debate, that's just the nature of things, but that's not my main intention.

So, if it's annoying, then don't engage in debate with me.  Fine. Thought I'd offer a few of my insights, and hopefully get some in exchange.

That doesn't seem to be working out so well though so I'll find a different path.
The highlighted element admits that it's not your 'main' intention, which impliesitis part of you intention. And if you want to stay do so, if not then don't. Exercise your free will or not as you choose. But please don't get into the passive/aggressive 'nobody loves me so shall I go?' shit.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Gawen

Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 09:14:55 PM
Eh, why do any of you even believe you're alive right now?  Because someone told you that you are?  There are things called personal experiences that can be the basis for believing something.
Belief automatically ushers in doubt.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Gawen

Quote from: Light on December 25, 2011, 12:17:10 AM
If I were clinging to the ideas, I don't see why I'd even come here.

I present certain ideas, people give feedback, and hopefully I gain some insight along the way.  I have gained some from a few people who made thoughtful posts.  But, I'd say over-all that my impression so far of this forum is that most people seem to have already made up their minds and don't really have much desire to discuss anything.   That's fine.  

Read up on Occams' Razor.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Asmodean

Quote from: Gawen on December 25, 2011, 01:05:55 PM
Eh, why do any of you even believe you're alive right now?  Because someone told you that you are?  There are things called personal experiences that can be the basis for believing something.
...And is different from knowledge.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on December 25, 2011, 01:13:03 PM
Quote from: Gawen on December 25, 2011, 01:05:55 PM
...And is different from knowledge.

THIS^
Personal experiences and tall tales aren't facts. If someone old me my upstairs neighbor kept a monkey from when I was young (naive)-- I probably would still believd it as a teenager unless I had proof.
Belief and faith (to me) mean when a person is dealing with so many horrible things in reality, so they must escape. They think "it's okay. If I  am good in this life, I will be accepted in the kingdom of heaven, where no one suffers."
It's a safety mechanism some people use to feel better. Honestly, in my opinon, that is just  sad existence and borderline schizophenic

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 11:59:01 PM
Well, I like philosophy, I think it's primarily about examining different beliefs about reality.  If people are uncomfortable with examining such ideas, then I guess I'll leave.

See ya.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

yodachoda

If there was a controlled experiment that showed that people could tell what was inside a room besides them when they never were in that room (and no one told them what was in it), then I would instantly become a dedicated theist.  I could read religious texts and listen to a preacher preach for 18 hours a day for the next few months and it wouldn't convince me at all that there is a God.  If a single accurate experiment showed that people with NDE could tell what was inside a room that they've never been in, then that would definetly convince me that the theists are right.

Since NDE isn't that common, and you can't exactly induce a NDE for the sole purpose of an experiment, this would be a hard experiment to do.  These isolated claims of people in a hospital claiming NDE and claiming to see objects while they were unconcious could easily be by people who say the objects before or after the NDE, or who were in fact slightly conscious during the NDE. 

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: yodachoda on December 26, 2011, 07:53:56 PMIf a single accurate experiment showed that people with NDE could tell what was inside a room that they've never been in, then that would definetly convince me that the theists are right.

Theists would be right, which ones?
I assume all the supernatural weirdness is just human weirdness.  If some one did that room trick and it wasn't a trick I'd admit there's something we don't understand going on, I still wouldn't concede it to god.  Lightning used to be god throwing spears about before we knew better.  I'm not conceding the inexplicable to god, he'll have to do much better than that.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 27, 2011, 01:09:08 AM
Quote from: yodachoda on December 26, 2011, 07:53:56 PMIf a single accurate experiment showed that people with NDE could tell what was inside a room that they've never been in, then that would definetly convince me that the theists are right.

Theists would be right, which ones?
I assume all the supernatural weirdness is just human weirdness.  If some one did that room trick and it wasn't a trick I'd admit there's something we don't understand going on, I still wouldn't concede it to god.  Lightning used to be god throwing spears about before we knew better.  I'm not conceding the inexplicable to god, he'll have to much better than that.

You mean thunder aren't the gods bowling? XP

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 27, 2011, 03:20:10 AM

Of course not!  Thunder is god snoring, heathen.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 27, 2011, 04:28:05 AM

It's flatulence! Oh ye of little faith!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on December 27, 2011, 05:36:53 AM

**clutches pearls and reaches for smelling salts**
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 27, 2011, 05:46:08 AM
Quote from: Tank on December 27, 2011, 05:36:53 AM

**clutches pearls and reaches for smelling salts**

:D