News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

near death experiences

Started by Light, December 23, 2011, 11:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

Asmodean

Quote from: OldGit on December 24, 2011, 10:30:51 PM
^ Got it in one, Asmo.  ;D

That's Sir Dr. Asmodeus the Great, Ph.d. Expert in Latin. Yes.  ;D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on December 24, 2011, 10:28:58 PM
Quote from: OldGit on December 24, 2011, 10:20:14 PM
Cogito ergo vivo.
I think, therefor I'm a Volvo?  :P

XD tee hee

I agree none the less.  What proof do I have? I can feel, touch, sing, laugh. More than your fairy king can do.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Light

Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 24, 2011, 11:27:45 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on December 24, 2011, 10:28:58 PM
Quote from: OldGit on December 24, 2011, 10:20:14 PM
Cogito ergo vivo.
I think, therefor I'm a Volvo?  :P

XD tee hee

I agree none the less.  What proof do I have? I can feel, touch, sing, laugh. More than your fairy king can do.

Oh, I see.  So feeling is proof of something to you.  Yet, if a person feels a divine presence, well, that just couldn't be proof at all....

Asmodean

Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 11:38:04 PM
Oh, I see.  So feeling is proof of something to you.  Yet, if a person feels a divine presence, well, that just couldn't be proof at all....
"To you" is the operative word here. If you want to prove something to others, you have to be prepared to cough up more.

I doubt Sweetdeath is all that interested in proving her existence to you - why would she care to? But if she wanted to, she could. Would require some professional assistance, but if that's what it takes...
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Light

Quote from: Asmodean on December 24, 2011, 11:45:08 PM
"To you" is the operative word here. If you want to prove something to others, you have to be prepared to cough up more.

I doubt Sweetdeath is all that interested in proving her existence to you - why would she care to? But if she wanted to, she could. Would require some professional assistance, but if that's what it takes...

I don't expect to prove anything to anybody or vice versa, simply stating ideas for discussion.

Tank

Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 11:53:14 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on December 24, 2011, 11:45:08 PM

I don't expect to prove anything to anybody or vice versa, simply stating ideas for discussion.
You're getting more trollish with every post.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Light

Well, I like philosophy, I think it's primarily about examining different beliefs about reality.  If people are uncomfortable with examining such ideas, then I guess I'll leave.

Asmodean

Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 11:53:14 PM
...And yet you cling to ideas and explanations dismissed as unnecessary... Sounds like trying to prove something, if you ask me.

Plus, what Tank said.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Light

If I were clinging to the ideas, I don't see why I'd even come here.

I present certain ideas, people give feedback, and hopefully I gain some insight along the way.  I have gained some from a few people who made thoughtful posts.  But, I'd say over-all that my impression so far of this forum is that most people seem to have already made up their minds and don't really have much desire to discuss anything.   That's fine. 

Asmodean

Oh, if you propose such a thing as afterlife, many of us will not jump on that idea like a bunch crazed jackrabbits.

For one, is there a need for life after death in order to adequately explain some observed and reliably documented phenomena, which can, now and in foreseeable future, not be adequately explained by what we do know or have reason to suspect to exist? Not really.

Then, what evidence IS there of some form of afterlife beyond other life forms using your rotting remains as food, with the ultimate goal of produccing more life? None, really.

So, why is it that you think we should even consider the idea of afterlife?

Exchange "afterlife" for "soul" and you got the same problem.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Light

I don't think you should consider it if you don't want, just assumed some people might engage in the discussion.

The thing is, Tank said I'm acting 'trollish' .  Suggesting, that the reason I'm posting here is to purposely just annoy people.   Well, I can't help it if some people get annoyed sometimes during a debate, that's just the nature of things, but that's not my main intention.

So, if it's annoying, then don't engage in debate with me.  Fine. Thought I'd offer a few of my insights, and hopefully get some in exchange.

That doesn't seem to be working out so well though so I'll find a different path.

Asmodean

Quote from: Light on December 25, 2011, 12:33:24 AM
I don't think you should consider it if you don't want, just assumed some people might engage in the discussion.
Some did. The Asmo among them, no less.

The thing is, Tank said I'm acting 'trollish' .  Suggesting, that the reason I'm posting here is to purposely just annoy people.
If he was suggesting that, he'd call you a troll and warn and/or ban you. What he did say, rephrased, is that your behaviour resembles that of a troll. It does, deliberately or otherwise.

Well, I can't help it if some people get annoyed sometimes during a debate, that's just the nature of things, but that's not my main intention.
Have you engaged in a single debate here? Debating is pretty much discussing opposing points. Discussing them, not voicing your ideas and moving on. The word for that is brainstorming.

So, if it's annoying, then don't engage in debate with me.  Fine. Thought I'd offer a few of my insights, and hopefully get some in exchange.
If Tank found you too annoying for the regular garden variety HAf member, he'd ban you.

That doesn't seem to be working out so well though so I'll find a different path.
For all I care, if your intention is to potentially learn something, you can stay as long as you like. I will even try to explain things to you on occasion in the easiest to understand manner I know. I'm sure others will too. No need to play the unfairly treated little victim card - that's just pathetic (Although you only play it by vague implication, so that doesn't fully apply to you yet, and perhaps it never will, depending on your intentions and personality)
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 09:14:55 PM
Eh, why do any of you even believe you're alive right now?  Because someone told you that you are?  There are things called personal experiences that can be the basis for believing something.

By our standards, we are all alive. Only by some weird other standards could we not be alive. Whatever those other standards may be, they don't matter to us, do they? ::) 

Be careful with words, they're treacherous.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey