News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

If you believe in gravity, then why not a soul, or spirit?

Started by Light, December 22, 2011, 05:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Thanks squid...too bad you are headed to Dallas right as I was leaving I think you'll be gone before we get back

Gawen

Squid, (and I'm sorry to post this here, but the PM system leaves something to be desired), I'm going to East Texas for most of the day on Sunday. But on the return trip, is it possible to have a very quick meet-up, probably quite late in the day? Send me a PM...I'll be watching for it. And a PM has been sent to you.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Squid on December 23, 2011, 10:19:31 PM
The neural correlates of spiritual/religious belief is a fairly new area of research but there has been some interesting studies. 

Just throwing out a thought here. It's pretty clear that there is going to be some form of neurological activity going on the brain regardless of what experience we have, since the brain is where are experiences occur and are processed.  It's our "experience organ." So religious experiences are going to show up on PET scans and other tests.  I read one that dealt with the similarities and differences between Buddhist monks while meditating, Catholic nuns while praying, and Pentecostals while speaking in tongues. Very interesting.  But none of those studies can answer the question of whether this activity is generated purely internally by the brain, or if there could be some unknown outside stimulus involved. In other words, these studies will enlighten us on the way the brain reacts to religious experience, but will not answer the question of whether the subject is actually experiencing God in some manner or is simply experiencing his/her own brain states.

Gawen

Quote from: Ecurb NoselrubIn other words, these studies will enlighten us on the way the brain reacts to religious experience, but will not answer the question of whether the subject is actually experiencing God in some manner or is simply experiencing his/her own brain states.
Precisely.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor