News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Not an atheist, but hello.

Started by Light, December 21, 2011, 06:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Light

I welcome challenges.  Because, I've found, that whenever I get into good debates with people, even if at the end we still don't agree,  I almost always walk away feeling like I've learned something.

And yes, I do see the benefits of the scientific method, but I also see it's intrinsic limitations.   

Much of religion and spirituality is based on rationalistic ideas, but so are many aspects of science, and so I don't see science as a completely unique approach to knowledge, separate from all else. 

I also consider personal experience alone to be valid evidence in some cases, but that I'll have to go into later.

Light

I just wanted to also add, that I chose the name Light because of the spiritual ideas associated with it, but also because I find the properties of light, to be philosophically intriguing, but I will go more into that another time.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 21, 2011, 07:30:25 PMpersonally see religion as a retardant, and gets in the way of finding real solutions, when science is better equipped to do that, it it isn't a code of conduct or philosophy to live by. ::) It's just a tool.

I like that retardant word.

Crocoduck

As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Light

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

carley

Science seeks to systematically explain phenomena but I think we can all acknowledge that there are mysteries in the universe. While I don't believe in God or Jesus (or any creator) and can't have blind faith, I also believe there is an afterlife. This is due to things I have experienced, not just because it says to believe it in a book. With any religion (or lack thereof), there's great diversity in beliefs. Welcome.

Happy_Is_Good

Quote from: Light on December 21, 2011, 09:01:39 PM
And yes, I do see the benefits of the scientific method, but I also see it's intrinsic limitations.   

Please, could you tell me what Limitations do you see?

Thanks,

Happy

Tank

Quote from: Happy_Is_Good on December 27, 2011, 05:15:48 PM
Quote from: Light on December 21, 2011, 09:01:39 PM

Please, could you tell me what Limitations do you see?

Thanks,

Happy
Light came, was shown the 'light' and appears to have 'flounced', so I doubt you'll get a reply.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on December 27, 2011, 06:09:43 PM
Light came, was shown the 'light' and appears to have 'flounced', so I doubt you'll get a reply.
Maybe The Asmo's light-eating darkness scared him/her off  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Liar For Jesus

OP,   What is the foundational basis of your truth source ... is it an objective one or subjective ?   I think science which is essentially discovery of all things,  has to be held loosely since they are always modifiying, updating, adding, deleting, and so forth  as time goes on .   Personally,  black coffee BETTER be ok to drink cause i aint giving that up !     Which leads to the question....What do we ultimately put our trust in ?

pytheas

Quote from: Light on December 21, 2011, 06:03:10 AM
I did study science in college, and do enjoy it, but find it's applications limited.  It bothers me that so many people somehow reach the conclusion that science can be some ultimate explanation for everything.

It bothers you that so many people somehow need a conclusive ultimate explanation for everything, because it is bothering and you like me are "the people". I have distilled the range and activity of belief/faith to its bare necessity which haσ to do with self confidence and optimism. The rest is self-indulging fantasy which is for amusement and recreation. Getting over mourning, or alcohol addiction needs this type of recreation, artistic transendence
Here is a hymn/prayer to show you what I think you are talking about

I believe in the womb Earth,
Grand Mother of Life
Living Sphere
Toiling Troposphere that Holds
Human root, divine consciousness

I believe in the Light Star
The regulator Sun
Shining donator of energy and route
Leading composer of atoms
And in the depth of time collector of all here
Merger for a denser structure

I believe in the black Heart of the Galaxy
Gigantic indescribable attraction
Unending Vent, hole of "black"
Envoy to our Stars, the Galaxy nation
Suggesting all the star nations
Colors, Rays and Gases
Waves and Energies which variably oscillate
The multiple entities, as far as pulsars and quasars
As deep as exotic particles,
Bosons, Fermions, Neutrinos
All the other creatures in the circus of Existence

I believe in Black Energy
Black Matter's accomplice
Vehicle balance of Existence
Gate of dimensions, and Indefinable.
I believe in that which I cannot learn
I believe in the wrinkles of this Existence
Above analysis and understanding
And grateful I share and honor
Breathing still.

Πυθέας Nov 2009
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

happyhappa

I, too, have a background in the sciences.
I'm new to Atheism and have wondered similar things to your original post.
I find it amazing how insightful the members here are!

werewolf

Science wont explain everything.not yet atleast

texasatheist

Welcome to the forum!  I have no science background myself but have been learning more and more since I finally let god go, I wouldn't say it answers everything yet but it's the structure of science and it's ability to adjust views based on observations and constants that gives me more hope than any religions have offered me.  Seems much easier for me to believe that we're based on a lottery of life rather than an intelligently created universe.

Enjoy your stay.