News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Why does God Allow Satan to live

Started by unholy1971, December 21, 2011, 03:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

This is the way I see "god."
He is the awkward kid in scool, sitting in the corner, eating lunch by himself. He gains the trust of a bully/badass for whatever reason and sets up a fake fight scenario which he wins. Suddenly everyone thinks god is cool, but he's not.

I dunno...
Honestly though, worshipping the fairy king for no reason and citing the bible is still very laughable.

"I duno why he has done this, but still trust in him" is a huge reason why kids are being molested by preists and not daying anything, becuz we are suppose to blindly trust in them, just like god.

I find it extremely sad that in the middle east, christian churchs are being bombed by muslim extremists becuz they are threatened or disagree. I fund it laughable becuz they are all equally idiotic, and need to see how much death and violence religion causes--and for WHAT?
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Gawen

Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 25, 2011, 06:06:50 AM
This is the way I see "god."
He is the awkward kid in scool, sitting in the corner, eating lunch by himself. He gains the trust of a bully/badass for whatever reason and sets up a fake fight scenario which he wins. Suddenly everyone thinks god is cool, but he's not.
I like this...*grinnin*

But this is how I see god...

Did you see him too?

I thought not. Neither did I.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Pharaoh Cat

Quote from: Egor on December 21, 2011, 06:22:30 AM
Don't think for one minute that Satan sins; he doesn't. He isn't that stupid. Disregard Paradise Lost, disregard the misinterpretation of Isaiah 14, and you will see that Satan is an angel just like Gabriel or Michael, but his mission is not to fight or announce things but rather to purify the human race.

John 8:44 NIV - "You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

MadBomr101

Watching this guy desperately grope for any reason, regardless of how ridiculous, to justify god's inaction to the satan problem is like seeing a PhD in Fairytales try to examine what motivates the thinking of Humpty Dumpty.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

unholy1971

Quote from: MadBomr101 on December 27, 2011, 01:14:58 AM
Watching this guy desperately grope for any reason, regardless of how ridiculous, to justify god's inaction to the satan problem is like seeing a PhD in Fairytales try to examine what motivates the thinking of Humpty Dumpty.

LMAO, love this analogy.  ;D

Guardian85

There is also the logical problem of:

If Satan is evil and God is good (Yeah, right!) , why is Satan the one who punishes the ones on his "team"?

In short, why would Satan punish those who do what he wants?

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

lomfs24

Quote from: Guardian85 on December 27, 2011, 05:50:44 PM
There is also the logical problem of:

If Satan is evil and God is good (Yeah, right!) , why is Satan the one who punishes the ones on his "team"?

In short, why would Satan punish those who do what he wants?

I agree with this, I would think that Satan would let the fires of hell go smack out and refuse to do his job.

I think the reason God does not just destroy Satan is that every good story needs a Nemesis. For the same reason every good novel, comic book or TV show has a conflict that needs resolved in the end. And the longer you can draw the end out, the longer you get donations to keep the fight up. If Satan wasn't there it would be no reason to go to church, pay your dues or tithes or pass the plate, repent, tell the priest your deepest darkest moments (which I am sure they get a kick out of) and the whole system of religion would fall apart. There you have it, it's the real reason.

Melmoth

Quote from: MadBomr101Watching this guy desperately grope for any reason, regardless of how ridiculous, to justify god's inaction to the satan problem is like seeing a PhD in Fairytales try to examine what motivates the thinking of Humpty Dumpty.

i looked but could not find the insightful academic paper of which you speak. :( did he fall? was he pushed? perhaps we shall never know for sure.

i would say that the poem expresses an attitude of great pessimism. as we see at the end, all the kings horses and all the kings men "couldn't put humpty together again", written in the past tense, but is this perhaps the foresight of a deeply depressed individual, contemplating a kind of inevitable, spiritual self-destruction? as you know, humpty dumpty was originally a riddle, the answer being "he's an egg", hence there being no mention of that in the rhyme itself. And it's interesting to note here that the egg is a common symbol for the soul. it falls, it breaks, it cannot be repaired. not by 'men' at least.

next week, i'll be giving a seminar on how Bram Stoker's Dracula is actually a critique of the pineapple farming industry. I'll be describing how it deals, allegorically, with problems such as the acidic juices of the pineapple tending to wear away the fingerprints of their handlers over time, thus stripping them of their earthly identities. Look forward to it.

Quote from: Guardian85If Satan is evil and God is good (Yeah, right!) , why is Satan the one who punishes the ones on his "team"?

Satan didn't create hell. He is put there, along with us, by God. Otherwise, he'd probably do it because we're god's pet project - he just hates us.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

Asmodean

Quote from: Melmoth on December 27, 2011, 07:42:49 PM
Satan didn't create hell. He is put there, along with us, by God. Otherwise, he'd probably do it because we're god's pet project - he just hates us.
You know, if I was smart and evil, and perhaps a touch megalomaniacal, I'd probably use the resources I had even if I hated them. Humans, they can make a nice resource. I doubt Satan would overlook it. Although, torturing dumbasses and believers who just weren't perfect enough, that would still need to be done.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

Did you say Satan or Santa?  ::)
Satan means "the accuser", so maybe the following song was written for him:

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

You better watch out
You better not cry
Better not pout
I'm telling you why
SATAN is coming to town

He's making a list,
And checking it twice;
Gonna find out Who's naughty and nice.
SATAN is coming to town

He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake!

O! You better watch out!
You better not cry.
Better not pout, I'm telling you why.
SATAN is coming to town.
SATAN is coming to town.

Think about it, it makes perfect sence. Both wear a red costume and laugh at everything, both fly. Ever heard the expression "Cold as hell?" Well, Santa lives in the north pole also.  ;)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

OldGit

I like what lomfs24 said.  I've just been reading a book about the horrors of existing in North Korea, and it's obvious that the régime is constantly ranting on about the evil enemy, South Korea, because a bogey-man promotes solidarity, makes people draw together.

Pharaoh Cat

I like to imagine Satan as the good guy and the LORD as the bad guy. 8)

So let's say Satan created the universe and the LORD is Satan's underling.

Satan: "Look at living creatures!  What a delight to behold!"

The LORD: "I hate them.  Too much frolicking.  Not enough groveling."

Satan: "You're kidding, right?"

The LORD: "No.  I want to shove a book of rules up their assess so they learn guilt, shame, and self-loathing."

Satan: "Wow.  You're a dick.  Did I make you this way?"

The LORD: "No.  I have free will.  Everybody does.  That was your mistake.  Only I should have it.  All your other creatures should be puppets wallowing in slime and wailing in chorus to serenade you and me with their regrets, never knowing they couldn't help any of it."

Satan: "Wow.  Remind me never to take a vacation and leave you in charge.  But seriously, what rules do they need?  Seems to me they figure out what works and that's what they do."

The LORD: "Take something they enjoy and pile irrational regulations over top of it like a steaming layer of bullshit.  That way the different parts of their personalities will be forever at war and they'll never be at peace with themselves unless they run to us and beg our forgiveness, which of course we won't give them unless they jump through some hoops that make absolutely no sense."

Satan: "Wow.  Get the hell away from me.  You make me sick."

The LORD: "Fine.  I'll go talk to Moses."
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Sweetdeath

LOL Ph cat. XDD

I enjoy that analogy very much.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Stevil

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on December 30, 2011, 02:05:17 PM
If we were to believe that supernatural entities exist then a possible scenario is that the creator god is a deist god whom creates the initial conditions and then sits back and watches, admiring his ability to set the conditions so perfectly that eventually life is formed and creates artificial life itself as well as working out how existence was created.

But then because this was all too easy the first time (not proving to be any challenge).
So this time round the god decides to interject at a few crucial moments to see if it can stop the inevitable outcome. With its interjections it creates several opposing and confusing scriptures, to throw the intelligent creatures off the scent, to start wars and get them to kill themselves off before reaching the goal.

Or maybe there is a Satan who dislikes the god and created the scriptures to instigate conflict and hatred.

The fun part is that you can make up whatever you want, noone can prove you wrong.

znk666

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on December 30, 2011, 02:05:17 PM

If i recall correctly,in the old testament,Satan rebelled against god because he opposed god's idea for human being to be god's slaves/pets.
So technically,Satan IS the good guy.
There are people who want to make men's lives more difficult for no other reason than the chance it provides them afterwards to offer their prescription for alleviating life; their Christianity, for instance.
-Friedrich Nietzsche