News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Do you celebrate Christmas ?

Started by unholy1971, December 19, 2011, 03:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake23

I do celebrate Christmas, because so much of the holiday has been taken out of the Christian context anyway. I love getting together and gift giving/receiving. We never mention religion during it... It just seems like a time to enjoy eachother's company and appreciate one another, rather than always giving the glory to some kind of god, or santa... haha.
I really love Christmastime and don't see what overeating, gifts, and lights really have to do with "Christ."
  :D
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
-John Wooden

Crocoduck

Quote from: Drake23 on January 11, 2012, 12:14:54 PM
I do celebrate Christmas, because so much of the holiday has been taken out of the Christian context anyway. I love getting together and gift giving/receiving. We never mention religion during it... It just seems like a time to enjoy eachother's company and appreciate one another, rather than always giving the glory to some kind of god, or santa... haha.
I really love Christmastime and don't see what overeating, gifts, and lights really have to do with "Christ."
I couldn't agree more, Christmas is just another reason to drink Mimosas at 6am and not be called an alcoholic.
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Drake23 on January 11, 2012, 12:14:54 PM

Not to pick nits, but that's pretty much what some of us call "participating", since "celebrating" would involve religious rituals.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Drake23

Quote from: BCE
Not to pick nits, but that's pretty much what some of us call "participating", since "celebrating" would involve religious rituals.

Yes, I suppose it could be taken that way. I take "celebration" just as engaging in festivities with loved ones, not really the religious ritual part... "participating" just doesn't seem cheery enough for me to use...

Edit: Sorted quotes out - Tank
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
-John Wooden

Drake23

And I apologize for my lack of ability to use quotes... I have never used a forum before and am a bit dumb when it comes to technology.... :)
-John Wooden

Tank

Quote from: Drake23 on January 11, 2012, 03:51:57 PM
And I apologize for my lack of ability to use quotes... I have never used a forum before and am a bit dumb when it comes to technology.... :)
No problem, we all have to start somewhere! This may help http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=203.0
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Drake23 on January 11, 2012, 03:49:19 PM
... "participating" just doesn't seem cheery enough for me to use...

It does if you imagine the word wearing a little Santa hat.
Sandy

Wessik

I'm lazy, so I only celebrate it to the extent that I can mooch off of other's generosity. Not that I don't mind giving my money to those Salvation Army people, who make it so convenient. Really, I would donate most of the year, but again: Lazy. :(
I have my own blog! redkarp.blogspot.com!

Anne D.

Yup. Unapologetically. Love putting up and decorating the tree, singing Christmas carols, getting presents for people, making gingerbread boys, getting Christmas cards, watching all the Christmas movies, feasting—absolutely my favorite holiday. Not even going to give any justifications or disclaimers, of which there are many legitimate ones (that others have already mentioned [originally a pagan holiday, yada, yada, yada]).

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Anne D. on January 14, 2012, 10:54:43 PM
Yup. Unapologetically. Love . . .  watching all the Christmas movies, . . .

Favorite Xmas movie?  I used to watch the Mr. Magoo Christmas Carol and the Nutcracker Ballet with Mikhal Baryshnikov religiously (so to speak) but they don't seem to show them like they used to.  These days I pop Love, Actually in the DVD player at least once during the holiday season.
Sandy

Anne D.

Haven't seen the two you mention, but I love the story of the Nutcracker. Probably my favorite Christmas movies are Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas and The Christmas Story. & yes, Love Actually is great.

Wessik

Oh...Fudge...

One thing that irked me about that movie was the fact that when asked where he heard that word, he says he "chickened out." Apparently the boy was scared of his father or something. I never got that part. If he said, "I heard dad fucking around with that piece of shit automobile, damned art project of a student who dropped his balls out of art school. The fucking pricks."

I mean... I can just imagine how the movie would progress from there... the ol man would stand up straight, and say, "son. You're a man now. Open your present. No, not that one under the tree. It's over here in this metal safe I have..." :D
I have my own blog! redkarp.blogspot.com!

Crocoduck

Quote from: Wessik on January 15, 2012, 05:05:55 AM
Oh...Fudge...

One thing that irked me about that movie was the fact that when asked where he heard that word, he says he "chickened out." Apparently the boy was scared of his father or something. I never got that part. If he said, "I heard dad fucking around with that piece of shit automobile, damned art project of a student who dropped his balls out of art school. The fucking pricks."

I mean... I can just imagine how the movie would progress from there... the ol man would stand up straight, and say, "son. You're a man now. Open your present. No, not that one under the tree. It's over here in this metal safe I have..." :D
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

m.condon

I was raised Catholic in a household that was not very religious. Christmas has always been about family, giving thanks and appreciating the fact that our time together is short. Only recent has my family been trying to become more religious with it, and that may be in response of me coming out as an Atheist. I love celebrating Christmas and I think it is selfish to say it is only for Christians. My mom is jewish and I also celebrate Hannakuh. Some may argue that me celebrating in this manner "takes away" from the true meaning but I think people getting together in love and harmony never "takes away"
Usanap.org
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMzqSDWbLfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pytheas

Two poems for the season from 1996

MERRY   GREED-O-F*CKXMAS

rushy-rushy
gather up
suck'n'swallow
shiny hand-outs

deliver thy hide
washed from
insecurities
for that one-a-year

cold and frosty
outside too?

just incidental

---------------------------------
CHRI$T  CRACKER

Cue   the     $pending   time

overwhelming intent
stalls
a rippling apathy

link feeling
to
commerce
a Call folded senseless

You need
reasons
have a baby
steal the festive lights

Yet
well done

for only now you honor whores
---------------------------------------------------------

Saturnalia! the darkest night. I do celebrate ingesting Santa's cloak . Red with white dots splashed. Amanita muscaria

my kids found out for themselves that santa does not exist, it happened around the 8th birthday. I didn't ruin it for them.

for me it is associated strongly with season/winter, cold-snow and evergreen coniferous forests
somehow I find it very trippy to party in a beach in Brazil with a santa bikini swimsuit
That I would do the rest of the year

as for human warmth, compassion, love in an introspective frame, well, the poems speak for themselves
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE