News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Did a god REALLY say all this?

Started by Magdalena, December 16, 2011, 05:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

If a god did say all this, he/she is not very reasonable. I refuse to live under this god's laws.

The Holy Bible: DEUTERONOMY

21-11... Marrying a Captive Woman
...If you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted other, you may take her as your wife. Bring her into your home and have her shave her head, trim her nails and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in  your house, and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife. If you are not pleased with her, let her go wherever she wishes. You must not sell her or treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her.

21-20... A Rebellious Son
This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard. Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death.

22-20...Various Laws
If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl's virginity can be found, she shall be bought to the door of her father's house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death.

22-28... Marriage Violations
If a man rapes a virgin, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry her for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

22-23
If a man sleeps with a  virgin pledged to be married, you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death- the girl because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man's wife... But if out in the country a man happens to meet a girl pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die. Do nothing to the girl .... For the man found the girl out in the country, and though the betrothed girl screamed, there was no one to rescue her.

24-11...Uncleanness in the Camp
If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.  :o

28-15 to 64...Curses for Disobedience.
See for yourself, actually, torment yourself if you want.

I'll show you some more "sacred scriptures" another day.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Gawen

Quote from: magdalena on December 16, 2011, 05:38:28 AM
If a god did say all this, he/she is not very reasonable.
Ahh, yeah, but...a loving god doesn't have to be reasonable, right/

QuoteI refuse to live under this god's laws.
You and me both

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Jose AR

Hello magdalena, I enjoyed your post. It looks like you thought about it and shared it well. Too many posts are just silly. Yours goes to a central issue: has anyone read a bible lately? I see people with well thumbed, highlighted, and marked bibles, but are they really reading what's going on. The critical reading movement of the eighteenth century did just what you are doing and it took a great toll on religions. Its no surprise that bibles HAD to be in latin, so that no one could understand it. Turns out that along with some cool poetry there's some really crazy stuff. I can't understand how people say the bible is holy and then read about jesus tormenting goats (WTF?).

today of course the more "respectable" religions say the bible is holy but that it takes the form of parable and metaphor. I take the logical stance that if a religion is based on a text, then the entire text is open to scrutiny, and if any part of the text is inconsistent, then the entire text is, and should be ignored except as literature.

I hope you take it to the next level and refuse to live by any laws save your own good judgement based on compassion, love and the desire to do good.

Jose AR

Crow

Quote from: Jose AR on December 17, 2011, 10:03:45 PM
Too many posts are just silly.

Why don't you create your own post on a subject you are interested in discussing.

Quote from: Jose AR on December 17, 2011, 10:03:45 PM
<snip>has anyone read a bible lately? I see people with well thumbed, highlighted, and marked bibles, but are they really reading what's going on.<snip>
I agree with you massively on the point you make. I find it astonishing when people actually read the bible and still be OK with what is written (same goes for the Koran), I have no time for the justification of certain passages or that "some of it is good" rubbish. All the alright stuff can be found by philosophers way before the supposed time of Jesus without the religious element (personally I don't think they are that good anyway, here is an old post I made about the subject http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=8466.0). If Christianity didn't exist we would still have all the philosophical elements today, so its not like it was adding anything on an intellectual level, just a non elitist re-branding of the Jewish sense of a deity and spirituality.
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

My dad says people take the bible too literally and/or should only cherry pick the good stuff.
I still say  he's a moron.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Happy with no god

People of faith tend to ignore the more unpleasant parts of the bible and just pick out the parts that they are comfortable with. So the things that  we would consider barbaric or immoral by today's standards get put to one side. However the fact that people do consider parts of the bible barbaric and choose not to apply these rules just proves that in general humans are instinctively moral. 

Even atheists like us have morals   ;D
I don't know why people are so keen to put the details of their private life in public(Facebook). They forget that invisibility is a superpower."

yepimonfire

Quote from: Happy with no god on December 20, 2011, 01:25:47 PM
People of faith tend to ignore the more unpleasant parts of the bible and just pick out the parts that they are comfortable with. So the things that  we would consider barbaric or immoral by today's standards get put to one side. However the fact that people do consider parts of the bible barbaric and choose not to apply these rules just proves that in general humans are instinctively moral. 

Even atheists like us have morals   ;D

even if the bible were correct and god did exist the OT rules no longer apply. keep that in mind.

Crow

Quote from: yepimonfire on December 21, 2011, 05:05:36 AM
even if the bible were correct and god did exist the OT rules no longer apply. keep that in mind.

What? It says quite clearly in the NT that Jesus was there to re-enforce not dispute what was written in the OT.
Retired member.

yepimonfire

Quote from: Crow on December 21, 2011, 06:08:15 AM
Quote from: yepimonfire on December 21, 2011, 05:05:36 AM

What? It says quite clearly in the NT that Jesus was there to re-enforce not dispute what was written in the OT.

ah...yet we run into another problem.

christ himself contradicted the law, paul did too. several of his letters spoke about how we were no longer under the law and to practice it bound us to sin.

The Magic Pudding

This god stuff, honestly is it too much to ask for an elegant answer?
Why do we have stupid layered on stupid with the cracks clumsily filled with crazy?
I think I'll write some commandments/requirements for prospective gods that want to be taken seriously.