News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Favorite guitarists

Started by lmbarre, December 10, 2011, 04:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Quote from: squidfetish on December 13, 2011, 04:14:51 PM
Quote from: Cecilie on December 13, 2011, 09:35:26 AM
I'm completely surprised that no one else but me has mentioned Tony Iommi... Pretty much the godfather of metal.

He's not renowned as a particularly technically gifted guitarist but, by our repitlian overlords, he is the father of sick riffage and that's for sure, and definitely worthy of a place in the pantheon of awesomeness.
The topic is Favourite guitarist, not most technically talented.
I would rate Malmsteen as incredibly technically talented, but I am no big fan of his.
Some of the guitarists people have mentioned I wouldn't rate as very technically talented, but I can see they happen to be in very popular bands.
Black Sabbath is a yeaster year band. I really like them but they are not my favourite band, I have already over indulged by mentioning Dave Murray.

Recusant

Carlos Montoya
Andres Segovia
Jaco Pastorius (I saw somebody else mention a bassist, so...)
John Cipollina
Snakefinger
Jerry Garcia

Yep, they're all dead.  :'(
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

unholy1971

Being a guitarist, there are so many guitar I admire, my favorites would certinly include: Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, Jason Becker, Randy Rhoads, Eric Clapton, and Buddy Guy.

squidfetish

Quote from: Stevil on December 13, 2011, 05:25:26 PM
Black Sabbath is a yeaster year band.

It'll be interesting to hear the new album that they are recording next year with Ozzy, 33 years after the last one they did.  I don't really know what to expect...

I'm listening to Wes Montgomery at the moment.  Another fantastic guitarist.
reptilian overlord

Light

Myself, jk, that would be pretty narcissistic.  But I do think I'm pretty good.

I like Steve Vai,  Mikael Akerfeldt, young James Hetfield, Neil Young to name a few.