Favorite guitarists

Started by lmbarre, December 10, 2011, 04:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Joe Satriani
Marty Friedman
Dave Murray

Matthaios

Back in my teenage days, I was obsessed with prog rock guitarists - folk like Steve Howe (Yes), Steve Hackett (Genesis - the older stuff of course), Jan Akkerman (Focus - you've probably heard "Hocus Pocus") and (in darker moments) Robert Fripp (King Crimson).  Nowadays, I'm more into folky singer-songwriter stuff (but still from the same era) - Joni Mitchell and Nick Drake especially are massively under-rated guitarists.
Matthaios

Gawen

Cliff Burton...hands down. Best bass player ever.

Kirk Hammett and Eddie Van Halen...then...Satriani, Malmsteen and Wylde.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Matthaios on December 12, 2011, 11:58:16 AMNick Drake especially are massively under-rated guitarists.

I only found Nick Drake about a year ago, his music seems to have found an audience now, shame it took so long, his is such a poignant story.

Matthaios

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 12, 2011, 12:30:42 PM
I only found Nick Drake about a year ago, his music seems to have found an audience now, shame it took so long, his is such a poignant story.
Yeah, I've come across lots of his stuff in movies, TV shows, ads, etc.  His music is so melancholy on the whole that I wasn't surprised that his life story was much the same, especially towards the end of his life.  The epitome of hauntingly beautiful music.
Matthaios

Stevil

Quote from: Gawen on December 12, 2011, 12:21:53 PM

Let me guess, Metallica fan :-)

It's a shame Cliff was so low in the mix on the final recordings. Anesthesia is a great bass lead instrumental. Orion is one of the best instrumentals I've heard.

Cecilie

Interesting choices. I personally can't stand Zakk Wylde. I mean, he's a good guitarist and all, but I think he absolutely murdered some of Randy Rhoads' classic work. Especially Crazy Train. Those pinch harmonics... oh man.
The world's what you create.

Gawen

Quote from: Stevil on December 12, 2011, 06:32:36 PM

Let me guess, Metallica fan :-)

It's a shame Cliff was so low in the mix on the final recordings. Anesthesia is a great bass lead instrumental. Orion is one of the best instrumentals I've heard.
I totally agree.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.

Gawen

Quote from: Cecilie on December 12, 2011, 11:52:42 PM

Interesting choices. I personally can't stand Zakk Wylde. I mean, he's a good guitarist and all, but I think he absolutely murdered some of Randy Rhoads' classic work. Especially Crazy Train. Those pinch harmonics... oh man.
Yeah, one can be a great musician, but when they do a remake in their own style, sometimes it just don't make it. On the other hand, Five Finger Death Punches remake of Bad Company is soooo much better than the original. So much more....bad.

Crocoduck

As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Squid

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 11, 2011, 02:35:02 PM
Being true to Texas: Stevie Ray Vaughn

I completely forgot to add SRV to my waaaay too short of a list.  If it weren't for the blues influences on my playing I think it would be far to static and mundane.

Sovereign_Reason

Just to name a few:

John Petrucci (Dream Theatre)
Joe Satriani
Buckethead
Marty Friedman
Steve Vai
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
Alex Lifeson (Rush)
Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
B.B King
Esteban

Happy_Is_Good

I don't know how to play guitar and I'm surely not in any position to be an authority of who is a master, and who is not.  But...I've got my favorites (many the same as you guys) and then there are two special guys I give a special type of credit: Jeff beck and Eric Clapton.  Jeff and Eric are not my favorites, but I figure that guys that could pull Jimmy Page 'nads out of the fire during the worst performance of his career can't be too bad. 

Check it out, in the video clip below, Jimmy Page is stoned beyond belief and is hosing "Stairway to Heaven" worse than a drunk 14-year-old garage band. Jeff and Eric step in and save him - and do it with a lot of class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKlEVtA_TGQ

Cecilie

I'm completely surprised that no one else but me has mentioned Tony Iommi... Pretty much the godfather of metal.
The world's what you create.

squidfetish

Quote from: Cecilie on December 13, 2011, 09:35:26 AM
I'm completely surprised that no one else but me has mentioned Tony Iommi... Pretty much the godfather of metal.

He's not renowned as a particularly technically gifted guitarist but, by our repitlian overlords, he is the father of sick riffage and that's for sure, and definitely worthy of a place in the pantheon of awesomeness.
reptilian overlord